UK Forum

The Future Of London GAA After Covid-19

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To opinion1986:  "From speaking to a good number of players and team managers most accept this isn't a normal year and because of that they accept the preparation won't be ideal in any event. most teams are happy that they have trained hard enough and with a 4 week interruption, would be prepared to go back and play out a semi final and final. lads won't be out of shape in 4 weeks as they will be ticking over doing something and every club will be in the same boat.

if you really think there is a manager or player in London at this moment in time who wants 6 weeks pre-season in January/feb with a number of challenge matches in between, I have yet to meet them. not to mention the difficulty of getting an evenly matched challenge match in then anyway.

what they are asking the board to do is to provisionally arrange the postponed matches for December. and if lockdown is extended then so be it and you're in to January/feb for the Plan B.

its the same for all other grass roots kids and adult competitions all back on Sat 5th December and ( i have a young boy playing soccer and he has a match on 5th Dec confirmed as it stands).

the vast majority of PLAYERS do NOT want 4-6 weeks in January and February doing another pre-season for the sake of one, max 2 games (and that's not down playing the importance of the game). the appetite on this occasion for it isn't there.

It goes back to that issue again of the games to training balance that cripples the GAA club player. not to mention the cost of hiring floodlit pitches on clubs."
This is spot on. It's a unique year and everyone is in the same boat, if they only get one weeks collective training early December and straight into the games then so be it. They have all put in the effort up until now and can use the 4 week lockdown to keep ticking over and train on their own / in pairs.

This is a far better option then asking lads to come back training in January to play 1 max 2 games in Feb. I can't see any of the clubs / players involved wanting to do that.

Offtheball10 (Meath) - Posts: 5 - 06/11/2020 16:24:19    2305626

Link

Replying To opinion1986:  "From speaking to a good number of players and team managers most accept this isn't a normal year and because of that they accept the preparation won't be ideal in any event. most teams are happy that they have trained hard enough and with a 4 week interruption, would be prepared to go back and play out a semi final and final. lads won't be out of shape in 4 weeks as they will be ticking over doing something and every club will be in the same boat.

if you really think there is a manager or player in London at this moment in time who wants 6 weeks pre-season in January/feb with a number of challenge matches in between, I have yet to meet them. not to mention the difficulty of getting an evenly matched challenge match in then anyway.

what they are asking the board to do is to provisionally arrange the postponed matches for December. and if lockdown is extended then so be it and you're in to January/feb for the Plan B.

its the same for all other grass roots kids and adult competitions all back on Sat 5th December and ( i have a young boy playing soccer and he has a match on 5th Dec confirmed as it stands).

the vast majority of PLAYERS do NOT want 4-6 weeks in January and February doing another pre-season for the sake of one, max 2 games (and that's not down playing the importance of the game). the appetite on this occasion for it isn't there.

It goes back to that issue again of the games to training balance that cripples the GAA club player. not to mention the cost of hiring floodlit pitches on clubs."
It is understandable if your club are going to lose players in the new year why you want to get the games played before Christmas. But do you really speak for all the clubs and players in London? Maybe you have been watching abit to much CNN over the last few days!

Any serious club wouldn't want to go into the tail end of a championship without being properly prepared. I've been retired a good few years, but I personally and most of my teammates would have trained all year round to win a championship, has the appetite changed that much?

But saying all that, it could very well be a mute point, yesterday just one day in the government said they would not rule out an extension of lockdown, the current numbers are shocking, who knows maybe the county board are more insightful them we give them credit for.

Anyway, all the best of luck with the championship (whenever it is played).

thejockey (UK) - Posts: 116 - 06/11/2020 17:09:20    2305639

Link

St Kiernan's have recently posted a message which included:
"Following Friday nights management meeting of the London County Board all outstanding competitions will now be deferred to 2021 with further clarification on the fixtures given in January"

Londonish (UK) - Posts: 13 - 23/11/2020 22:14:36    2314369

Link