National Forum

Donegal Forum

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To thelowball:  "@ Rory, what a stupid post, some illiteracy going on"
Who would you like to see on the panel lad apart from yourself lol. Couple of wee questions who would your top 6 defenders be if all fit and who would would you delegate to man mark the top forwards. Nice simple question for you to maybe prove to people that you know abit about football and not your usual keyboard warrior who wudnt know an o Neills ball if it hit them on the head. I await your reply with interest.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 1124 - 02/12/2021 11:22:22    2391391

Link

Not a big fan of the Campbell appointment to be honest even though he is a one of our club legends. I watched him when was Manager of Steelstown in derry and it wasn't a good watch to be honest due to it being very defensive but the one thing about that is he was a player manager then and this time he is only coach from what I gather so hopefully i'm wrong.

just to make a comment on the U21 championship our boys were very poor this year going out to Kilcar who from what ive heard don't have much at underage currently. Jonny McLoone on the back of that loss will be our new senior manager and I now fully believe we are for sure in transition with just average enough teams come up through our underage teams.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 409 - 02/12/2021 16:51:56    2391465

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "How do we see the U21 championship going? I thought that Termon were well equipped but looks like Oisin Gallen torpedoed their ambitions. Having read the match reports from the weekend I'd say Eunans look the most likely now given the players they have at their disposal. If they can keep their focus it is very hard to see who will topple them. Not a bad year at all for the Cathedral Town club - senior, reserve and possible u21 champions. The sleeping giant has awoken it would seem."
With it being under 21 Termon must have close to a full team underage again next year. Great to see them also fielding a second team. Most of the Mccumhaills main men are all at their final year and farah has to be a real difference maker. Though agree st eunans should be to good for everyone. Think they've five starters from the senior team and a few more very close.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 461 - 03/12/2021 08:54:41    2391508

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Yeah it would be great to see more of our senior clubs being in with a realistic chance of winning the championship. The competition at senior level in Tyrone is fierce and it can only be good for the health of the game overall. Four Masters have really put in massive work at underage level. The key now will be to ensure that translates to senior. Not always an easy thing to do with young people moving away, player drop out etc."
Four masters really seem to be doing the right thing at underage. They won last years minors (played this year), lost the minor semi this year by a point to mccumaills. I think they won the under 15 and 13s and their second team at 13s also seemed very good. They are also in the under 21 semi. That's at least 6 years of good teams there and realistically that has to come through at senior. That very successful gweedore underage team a few years ago was one team and doesn't seem enough to sustain them at the very highest level.

Although eunans gave a great bunch from say 19 to 23 their minors didn't seem to play minor A this. I'm not sure how that happened in a club with a pick like st eunans. Mccumhaills had a great year at minor this. Overall they're a team on the up but have they enough to compete at the very top. I'm not sure. Although termon got relegated they have a good crop around the 20 age bracket though again usually one good underage team is not enough to really make the difference at senior. Glenswilly are also doing pretty well at underage.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 461 - 03/12/2021 09:03:05    2391509

Link