Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

National Forum

Mayo GAA Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Does club form come into account when deciding an all star or player of the year? I don't believe it does…

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 12291 - 02/10/2026 19:30:20    2695965

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Geaney hardly touched a ball in the All-Ireland semi-final and final. Not a chance he'd be ahead of Kobe."
This is thing if we are only on about the last three games Darragh Beirne has it.

FullOfPorter (Roscommon) - Posts: 607 - 02/10/2026 23:17:28    2695981

Link

Castlebar into the final for the first time since 2017. 5th year in a row a town team to win the senior county title?

Just have to beat the London champions then to reach the Connacht senior final. Castlebar the last Mayo Connacht winner in 2015 with that draw they'll fancy their chances

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 4094 - 03/10/2026 23:26:15    2696069

Link

Cillian O Connor officially retires. What a servant to Mayo football. 7 Connacht titles, 2 NFLs, 2 all stars and 2 young player of the year awards and finally a Celtic cross this year. Okay he didn't win it on the field but I'm sure his guidance for the younger lads was al part of it. He also leaves as the highest scorer in championship football until Clifford likely overtakes him.

I was in The Hyde in his debut season as a young 18 year old when his 0-8 from frees helped Mayo overcome Roscommon in what can only be described as a hurricane.

I saw him kick sideline points down in the Pairc to beat Cork from sublime angles not once but twice from each side of the field. He was sublime in the 2014 semi final Croke Park game…4-9 v Tipp in a semi final. His equalizer at the death in the 2016 final…many great great memories. I wish him all the best.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 12291 - 08/10/2026 13:43:20    2696604

Link

Cillian was some player at his peak. Very much underrated I feel nationally throughout his career.

Personally would have him alongside Keegan as our most important players in that 10/11 year period from 2011.

His scoring record is unbelievable and injuries really prevented him from adding to it much over the last 6 years.

MayoDan (Mayo) - Posts: 582 - 08/10/2026 15:41:22    2696619

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Cillian O Connor officially retires. What a servant to Mayo football. 7 Connacht titles, 2 NFLs, 2 all stars and 2 young player of the year awards and finally a Celtic cross this year. Okay he didn't win it on the field but I'm sure his guidance for the younger lads was al part of it. He also leaves as the highest scorer in championship football until Clifford likely overtakes him.

I was in The Hyde in his debut season as a young 18 year old when his 0-8 from frees helped Mayo overcome Roscommon in what can only be described as a hurricane.

I saw him kick sideline points down in the Pairc to beat Cork from sublime angles not once but twice from each side of the field. He was sublime in the 2014 semi final Croke Park game…4-9 v Tipp in a semi final. His equalizer at the death in the 2016 final…many great great memories. I wish him all the best."
People often forget he missed most of the 2013 season with a dislocated shoulder and 2021.
He was top scorer while playing almost his entire career in the era of blanket defense (2011- 2024).

Drove standards, annoyed goalkeepers and defenders and in his prime averaged 85% from frees.

Never let his county down

tirawleybaron (Mayo) - Posts: 2056 - 08/10/2026 15:55:36    2696620

Link