Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Senior Football Championship 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Senior players ranked 1-19 can only play Senior Championship and Division 1.

Players ranked 20-24 can only play with their clubs 1st and 2nd sides in their respective leagues, they can also play in the Junior championship, however they are not permitted to play with their clubs 3rd teams in the league, or play in the Junior B Championship.

Any players not in top 25 can play in all competitions.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 02/02/2021 13:40:45    2330111

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Senior players ranked 1-19 can only play Senior Championship and Division 1.

Players ranked 20-24 can only play with their clubs 1st and 2nd sides in their respective leagues, they can also play in the Junior championship, however they are not permitted to play with their clubs 3rd teams in the league, or play in the Junior B Championship.

Any players not in top 25 can play in all competitions."
The downs have 4 league teams yes ?
So then they have to name 19 div 1 players , 7 div 3 players & 6 div 4 players.
First 19 can only play div 1 & snr championship
Next 7 can play div 3 upwards and can play in any championship
Next 6 can play any div from div 4 up & any championship
Would I be right in saying this?

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 23 - 02/02/2021 14:27:03    2330118

Link

Replying To Westmeath13:  "The downs have 4 league teams yes ?
So then they have to name 19 div 1 players , 7 div 3 players & 6 div 4 players.
First 19 can only play div 1 & snr championship
Next 7 can play div 3 upwards and can play in any championship
Next 6 can play any div from div 4 up & any championship
Would I be right in saying this?"
The way i see it (and i stand to be corrected) is that the Downs will have 4 teams, in Divisions 1, 3, 4 & 6.

My understanding is that they'll name 19 that can only play Senior Championship and only play Division 1.

After that they'll have to name another 5 players that can play Junior Championship and can also play Division 1 and play Division 3 (but not allowed play Division 4 and not allowed play Division 6). I'm presuming if any of those 5 players end up playing Senior championship that they'd no longer be eligible for Junior championship.

Because it's the first time a club has a 4th adult team, I'm not 100% sure what happens next with their 3rd side. I'm guessing their 3rd side will have to name another 5 players that wont be allowed play Division 6, but like I said I'm not sure.

Last year the County Board made life very difficult for all Senior clubs with 3 teams, they forced these clubs to field their 3 different teams over the same weekend, my understanding is that it's the exact same scenario this year. I agree with the County Boards decision by the way, its fairer to other clubs and its ended Senior clubs regularly looking for their 2nd and 3rd teams fixtures to be refixed.

If this is the case then its only fair that Downs will have to field their 4 different teams on the one weekend too, I'm sure they are well aware of this before the entered a 4th adult team so fair play to them for having so many players available to them, it's remarkable really.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 02/02/2021 17:58:10    2330149

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "The way i see it (and i stand to be corrected) is that the Downs will have 4 teams, in Divisions 1, 3, 4 & 6.

My understanding is that they'll name 19 that can only play Senior Championship and only play Division 1.

After that they'll have to name another 5 players that can play Junior Championship and can also play Division 1 and play Division 3 (but not allowed play Division 4 and not allowed play Division 6). I'm presuming if any of those 5 players end up playing Senior championship that they'd no longer be eligible for Junior championship.

Because it's the first time a club has a 4th adult team, I'm not 100% sure what happens next with their 3rd side. I'm guessing their 3rd side will have to name another 5 players that wont be allowed play Division 6, but like I said I'm not sure.

Last year the County Board made life very difficult for all Senior clubs with 3 teams, they forced these clubs to field their 3 different teams over the same weekend, my understanding is that it's the exact same scenario this year. I agree with the County Boards decision by the way, its fairer to other clubs and its ended Senior clubs regularly looking for their 2nd and 3rd teams fixtures to be refixed.

If this is the case then its only fair that Downs will have to field their 4 different teams on the one weekend too, I'm sure they are well aware of this before the entered a 4th adult team so fair play to them for having so many players available to them, it's remarkable really."
Yeah if any of the players named on the second team (5 players ) play sfc they can't play junior then.
Some going in fairness too them

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 23 - 02/02/2021 21:49:34    2330179

Link

Okay Prediction time, let's get serious

Group one to qualify in order
St Lomans
The Downs
Kinnegad
Garrycastle

Group two
Killucan
Rosemount

Quarters
Killucan to beat Garrycastle
Rosemount to shade Kinnegad

Semis
Lomans to beat Rosemount
Downs to beat Killucan

Lomans to retain title

Dark horse is an exciting young Killucan team

Caulry for relegation

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 26 - 06/02/2021 00:09:01    2330402

Link

Replying To CleanShoulder:  "Okay Prediction time, let's get serious

St Lomans
The Downs
Kinnegad
Garrycastle

Group two
Killucan
Rosemount

Quarters

Semis
Lomans to beat Rosemount
Downs to beat Killucan

Lomans to retain title

Caulry for relegation"
Would agree with you for the most part but I think the downs will make the breakthrough this year & win it.

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 23 - 06/02/2021 15:43:09    2330440

Link

Replying To CleanShoulder:  "Okay Prediction time, let's get serious

St Lomans
The Downs
Kinnegad
Garrycastle

Group two
Killucan
Rosemount

Quarters

Semis
Lomans to beat Rosemount
Downs to beat Killucan

Lomans to retain title

Caulry for relegation"
Would agree with you for the most part but I think the downs will make the breakthrough this year & win it.

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 23 - 06/02/2021 15:44:31    2330441

Link

A Downs v Tyrrellspass final in 2020 would have been great for neutrals. Downs have won 2 Senior titles over the last 40 years and they haven't won a Junior in over 50 years, they're hungry and they now have the numbers and the facilities. I fancy them for the Junior this year, but after witnessing their Senior semi-final (last year) I now think it'll be another 2-3 years before they might win a Senior, they blew it last year and to be honest I'm still not sure how they lost to Lomans in that game.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 07/02/2021 18:28:26    2330549

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "A Downs v Tyrrellspass final in 2020 would have been great for neutrals. Downs have won 2 Senior titles over the last 40 years and they haven't won a Junior in over 50 years, they're hungry and they now have the numbers and the facilities. I fancy them for the Junior this year, but after witnessing their Senior semi-final (last year) I now think it'll be another 2-3 years before they might win a Senior, they blew it last year and to be honest I'm still not sure how they lost to Lomans in that game."
Lack of experience in my opinion like they played the better football that day and were within the width of a post of having it over at halftime with luke loughlin hitting the post & I think after they missed that they knew maybe that their best opportunity to finish of Lomans was gone & Lomans wouldn't give them another chance as good as that. (May I add luke loughlin was simply outstanding that day against lomans especially in the first half taking some outrageous scores & was on a different level to anyone on the pitch )This group of players were in semis before But never were ahead and didn't know how to control the game when they were ahead. The black card for the wing back with 10 mins to go was a huge turning point in the game & Lomans could really apply the pressure with the extra man.
I would disagree with ya though I think that Experience of that kind of a semi final and the hurt of being so close to a final will stand to them in 2021 and will win the championship.

Westmeath13 (Westmeath) - Posts: 23 - 07/02/2021 19:00:46    2330550

Link

I don't see how Garrycastle can be ruled out out! They have a good mix of experience & youth & with Dolan & Keane over them in possibly their last year i think there will be a huge push to win another one. Also, Tyrellspass with a hugely experienced manager will surely have a say in it. Its still St Lomans as clear favourites, they have the best forwards in the county. The Downs are close & they will win one soon but it might not be 2021.

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 07/02/2021 21:01:08    2330575

Link