Mayo Forum

All Ireland 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Best of luck today lads hope it's finally your day.

JimmyNail (Leitrim) - Posts: 44 - 19/12/2020 09:57:40    2323656

Link

All the best for today lads. Believe today is the day. Up Mayo.

GreenAndGold74 (Kerry) - Posts: 127 - 19/12/2020 14:53:08    2323747

Link

Best of luck to mayo today

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1090 - 19/12/2020 16:18:55    2323802

Link

I thought we were fantastic today. We pushed them to the limit. Great Performances all over. A game of fine margins. We had chances to win the game. Looking back on it and it's only knit picking, Ruane kicked into Cluxtons hands as did Ryan o Donoghue twice while also scoring twice, Tommy Conroy once, Cillian missed a free that usually he would put over. Cillian did very well. Darren Coen had 2 chances and kicked them wide while he got 1 score.It should have been a free in for Lee for the frontal charge. Aidan O Shea does be pulled and dragged and not even a free. Substitutions made at the right time. Very proud of our lads. I think a Fionn Mc Donagh, Mark Moran, Paul Towey,Ciaran Treacy for the last 20 would lift intensity levels. We are not far away. How many other counties would like to be in the position we were today.

BigJmchalepark (Mayo) - Posts: 26 - 19/12/2020 21:02:25    2324118

Link

Replying To BigJmchalepark:  "I thought we were fantastic today. We pushed them to the limit. Great Performances all over. A game of fine margins. We had chances to win the game. Looking back on it and it's only knit picking, Ruane kicked into Cluxtons hands as did Ryan o Donoghue twice while also scoring twice, Tommy Conroy once, Cillian missed a free that usually he would put over. Cillian did very well. Darren Coen had 2 chances and kicked them wide while he got 1 score.It should have been a free in for Lee for the frontal charge. Aidan O Shea does be pulled and dragged and not even a free. Substitutions made at the right time. Very proud of our lads. I think a Fionn Mc Donagh, Mark Moran, Paul Towey,Ciaran Treacy for the last 20 would lift intensity levels. We are not far away. How many other counties would like to be in the position we were today."
Two Goals killed Yee. Can't hand Dublin a present of Two Goals and expect to beat them. The whole Country behind you today. Remember you were playing against a team with limitless resources, as much Sponsorship as Man Utd, Full time pros. You did all right considering.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1644 - 19/12/2020 22:26:51    2324217

Link

Replying To Toman:  "The very best of luck to Mayo team tomorrow. Looking forward to this one. I hope I'm right but I genuinely think Mayo can do it this time."
Fair play to you bud, you got that spot on !

DUBJOHN (Dublin) - Posts: 816 - 19/12/2020 23:38:56    2324270

Link

Hard luck Mayo. The team and management did themselves proud against the slick, overfunded money machine that the GAA has created in Dublin and one that is now suffocating our great game.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 19/12/2020 23:53:53    2324277

Link

Great display from Mayo but cannot say the same of Coldrick . He should have red carded Fitzsimons and black carded Cooper , it is dispicable that that he didnt send off Fitzsimons for such a dangerous tackle that could have resulted in serious injury. T he referees primary responsibility is applying the rules for the protection of players and on this count he failed miserably. Thanks to Mayo for giving us such enjoyment this year and many years in the past. in Longford our only hope of seeing Sam Maguire is it passing trough to Mayo which I thing we will see soon. What hope have we in Longford out numbered 50 to 1 in population and 1000 to 1 financeally. Mayo abu.

gaasport (Longford) - Posts: 12 - 20/12/2020 11:36:39    2324467

Link

Replying To BigJmchalepark:  "I thought we were fantastic today. We pushed them to the limit. Great Performances all over. A game of fine margins. We had chances to win the game. Looking back on it and it's only knit picking, Ruane kicked into Cluxtons hands as did Ryan o Donoghue twice while also scoring twice, Tommy Conroy once, Cillian missed a free that usually he would put over. Cillian did very well. Darren Coen had 2 chances and kicked them wide while he got 1 score.It should have been a free in for Lee for the frontal charge. Aidan O Shea does be pulled and dragged and not even a free. Substitutions made at the right time. Very proud of our lads. I think a Fionn Mc Donagh, Mark Moran, Paul Towey,Ciaran Treacy for the last 20 would lift intensity levels. We are not far away. How many other counties would like to be in the position we were today."
Ya thought mayo were fantastic. Oisin Mullen epitomised all that was good about mayo in first half. His tackling, kick out mark were tremendous on first half and scored a nice fisted point. To me what turned the game was Dublins bench. This plus the fact when Dublin were down to 14 mayo didn't get the scores. As they got tired Mayo didn't have the same quality to come in. I still don't think Mayo know where to play AOS. Finally there is no shame in defeat. This mayo team done their country proud and aren't far off the mark.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 20/12/2020 13:14:16    2324526

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Ya thought mayo were fantastic. Oisin Mullen epitomised all that was good about mayo in first half. His tackling, kick out mark were tremendous on first half and scored a nice fisted point. To me what turned the game was Dublins bench. This plus the fact when Dublin were down to 14 mayo didn't get the scores. As they got tired Mayo didn't have the same quality to come in. I still don't think Mayo know where to play AOS. Finally there is no shame in defeat. This mayo team done their country proud and aren't far off the mark."
Aidan didn't have his best game yesterday but not easy do that when he's played from full forward to midfield and did a shift plugging the defence at times. He played a captain's part, ran himself to a standstill. He's an easy target for some because of his media profile. Hopefully it's water off a duck's back by now and he only heeds constructive criticism that can improve his game. For me he's best for the team staying in midfield and we have to get some more ball winning options in the full forward line.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 5997 - 20/12/2020 17:03:49    2324663

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Aidan didn't have his best game yesterday but not easy do that when he's played from full forward to midfield and did a shift plugging the defence at times. He played a captain's part, ran himself to a standstill. He's an easy target for some because of his media profile. Hopefully it's water off a duck's back by now and he only heeds constructive criticism that can improve his game. For me he's best for the team staying in midfield and we have to get some more ball winning options in the full forward line."
I hope Mayo followers remember Aidan's last contribution in the game when he and Lee Keegan (warrior...by the way) moved in on a Dublin player and turned him over. A bit too late but there is a message there, admire them and they will make hay, take the ball from them....often enough the better and suddenly they are human. Only Ger Canning won't believe that...he thinks Lee Keegan's solar plexus is his shoulder.
P.S. Mr. Coldrick it's just as well for you that chicken is unfashionable for Christmas, lesson in anatomy required.

MillerX (Meath) - Posts: 777 - 20/12/2020 19:32:24    2324764

Link

Aiden O Shea had a good yesterday like all other days he plays for Mayo, gives it 100% ,he covered the length of the field for the whole game and left everything on the field. From now on play him at Full Forward and leave him there for full game , no matter what's happening other places on the field, he cant solve all problems. Put OIsin Mullen at midfield with Ruane and they will hold their own with anyone. No more Aiden to midfield for throw in etc, and taking line balls and frees, leave him in the square and make use of him there.

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 70 - 20/12/2020 20:55:53    2324818

Link

Hard one to take for Mayo. Dublin just that wee bit stronger but yourselves and kerry are the closest challengers

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 312 - 20/12/2020 21:35:44    2324844

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "Hard one to take for Mayo. Dublin just that wee bit stronger but yourselves and kerry are the closest challengers"
Only one way to sort out the funding imbalance. All non Dublin refs refuse to officiate in games until the funding issue is sorted. That will get all parties around the table fairly quickly.

upforyourballmeman (Kildare) - Posts: 6 - 20/12/2020 21:57:51    2324860

Link

Tough one for Mayo.
I'd be seriously worried about ye in the next few years.
Mullin, Durcan and McLoughlin a serious half back line for the next few years.
Tommy Conroy is going to be a gem too.
Will Higgins, Boyle, Vaughan, Seamie O'Shea call it a day?
There is talent in that squad to replace them.

GalwaysFinest (Galway) - Posts: 67 - 20/12/2020 22:33:23    2324884

Link

Replying To upforyourballmeman:  "Only one way to sort out the funding imbalance. All non Dublin refs refuse to officiate in games until the funding issue is sorted. That will get all parties around the table fairly quickly."
You're on the wrong thread.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 5997 - 21/12/2020 01:50:54    2324928

Link

Hard luck once again lads. Mayo (and Kerry) prove that this Dublin team can be got at. If our benches were of equal quality that game was going down to the wire. Farrell purposely finishes with his best team, if the likes of Bugler and Small weren't performing adequately Howard and co would have been on a lot earlier.
You've a good team there and O'Connor is getting better, see you in 2021.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7883 - 21/12/2020 02:02:37    2324931

Link

Replying To jacktheboy:  "Aiden O Shea had a good yesterday like all other days he plays for Mayo, gives it 100% ,he covered the length of the field for the whole game and left everything on the field. From now on play him at Full Forward and leave him there for full game , no matter what's happening other places on the field, he cant solve all problems. Put OIsin Mullen at midfield with Ruane and they will hold their own with anyone. No more Aiden to midfield for throw in etc, and taking line balls and frees, leave him in the square and make use of him there."
I dont think he thinks like a full forward though. Doesnt have enough of an eye for goal like Murphy/Con OCallaghan/Clifford. I would leave him further out and let him link play like he does best. Mayo needed a goal yesterday and he wasnt the man to get one.

I was very impressed with the intensity and grit that Mayo brought to the game on Saturday. The press on Cluxtons kickouts were savage and really threw him. Mulllins and Odonoghue had some games for young bucks of 21/22. I thought horan got the match ups right at the start but didnt necessarily make as good a use of his bench as he could of. I wouldnt of taken Ryan O'Donoghue off as he was working like a dog and although he ran into a few blind alleys he was really taking it to the Dublin defense.

Fair play on the year ye had. Mayo are building and i think the new additions are on the cusp of really mixing it with Dublin from now on.

Caoimhog88 (Kildare) - Posts: 82 - 21/12/2020 09:38:50    2324965

Link

difference was in the quality of the subs who came in, really surprised he didnt turn to higgins when durcan had to come off

FearBeag (Mayo) - Posts: 50 - 21/12/2020 17:47:53    2325158

Link

"Cillian O'Connor, Ryan O'Donoghue and Oisin Mullin ran Mayo's attack in the first half with 40 possessions between them. Dublin's changes took all three completely out of the game after half-time. O'Donoghue touched the ball just twice in the 2nd half " (cahair o kane Irish news )

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10483 - 22/12/2020 11:27:59    2325355

Link