Down Forum

'BLACK CARD' 2014 - SOME CRAIC AHEAD WITH THIS!!

(Oldest Posts First)

From the start of 2014, referees will be able to issue a new black card to players during Gaelic football matches. But what is it and when will it be shown?
The black card has been introduced in order to cut out what is known as 'cynical fouling' and other unacceptable behaviour. A cynical foul describes when a player deliberately stops an opponent in their tracks. It is a premeditated act in that the fouler knows they won't be legitimately winning the ball from their opponent and so they decide to foul them instead.

Black card offences will include:

1. Deliberately pulling down an opponent.

2. Deliberately tripping an opponent.

3. Deliberately colliding with an opponent.

4. Using abusive or provocative gestures or language to players.

5. Arguing with match official in an aggressive manner.

So what happens to players who get a black card?

Players who are shown a black card will have to be substituted. But if a team are shown more than three black cards in one match they won't be allowed to bring on a sub to replace an offending player and they'll have to play with a man less.

Any player who gets a black card during three matches in a row will be banned for one match.

So there ya have it lads - clear as mud! What happens if you get a yellow then a black...does that mean its a red??? I have no doubt the referees across the country cant wait until the new season kicks of next year!

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1615 - 10/10/2013 13:40:12    1498960

Link

Tyrone will finish with about 10 men on the field against Down lol

REDANDBLACK29 (Down) - Posts: 57 - 14/10/2013 10:30:40    1500471

Link

Just a few questions on it.

Does the subs for black cards count as subs from your 5 available?
Can a black carded player be subbed back on?
Will this be in every level of football?
If you play across age levels or senior/reserve does that count towards your 3 games in a row or is it 3 games at 1 level?

Just interested so if anyone has the answers id like to know, cheers

theladd (Down) - Posts: 43 - 14/10/2013 13:26:07    1500601

Link

All-Ireland winning club goalkeeper Shane Curran has blasted the black card rule as 'ridiculous'.

Speaking to the Irish Independent, the St Brigid's netminder reckons that smaller clubs won't have the numbers to cope when players have to be replaced under the new rule which comes into effect next year.

"For the weaker clubs, it's difficult. A lot of people hedge their bets, but the black card is a ridiculous rule, it's going to be proven that way.

"There are too many goings on from a referee's point of view, and administration point of view to be able to keep up with black cards, yellow cards, red cards.

"It's going to be great for ye guys (the media), it's going to be great for the Joe Brollys of this world. But it's going to be very difficult for referees.

"Their job is already difficult, and it's going to be very difficult for players."

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1615 - 16/10/2013 13:27:07    1501612

Link

Owen grant discusses the contentious issue of the black card in GAA.

From January 2014 GAA football officials will have a Black Card at their disposal which will be in action for the National Football League and Championship. The Card will be given to players who commit a cynical act, of which there are five:

•To deliberately pull down an opponent
•To deliberately trip an opponent with hand, arm or foot
•To deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball or for the purpose of taking him out of play
•To use abusive or provocative language or gestures to players
•To remonstrate in an aggressive manner with a match official
If found guilty of any of a cynical act, then the guilty player will be shown the black card and his team will be forced to make a substitution. This may happen three times but after that if a fourth player commits an offence then he will be sent off without a sub being allowed to replace him.

The rule has been brought in to try to reduce the number of tactical fouls. How often have we seen a full forward with only the keeper to beat only for the full back to rugby tackle him to the ground, taking a yellow card for his troubles but saving his side from conceding a goal. The rule may also go a long way to phasing out the blanket defence tactics which have caused such opposition from the likes of Pat Spillane over the past few years.

These new rules will suit the teams that go out to play football and counter attack at speed from half back. It is a rule that will favour the teams with dynamic back lines. Tyrone has plenty of quality in defence with the McMahons for example while Kerry will profit from the work rate of their half forward line which tends to lie deep. Although Donegal have been the poster boys for this Blanket defence they also have the ability at the back to really hurt teams on the break, as Lacy and Frank McGlynn showed last year.

My one worry for the new rule however is how it will affect club football. In my own club for example the senior squad consists of around twenty men while many other clubs in the country are sure to be equally short of numbers. If one of these teams were to lose three players to the black card then options on the bench would be stretched without doubt. While this would not be a major worry for inter-county squads with the large number of quality players at their disposal, do you think a junior team can afford to lose three of its main players in the first half of a Championship game? Somehow I don't think so.

It will come down mainly to how the rules are implicated by the referees. Their judgement of what is a deliberate foul and what is deliberately cynical will be vital in how successful the new rules turn out to be. It will also be important for them to judge what warrants a yellow or red card as opposed to the black. There will be more pressure on match officials and no doubt there will be some controversial decisions that will raise questions over the rules but if the officials can keep mistakes to a minimum the new rules could be exactly what football needs to get spectators back out watching games. The new rules should provide fewer stoppages in play and more scoring however it may take some of the big hits out of the game with players weary of facing the sideline.

In terms of inter-county I feel it is a productive move that will improve the standard of football and lead to higher scoring games. However it could cause considerable problems in club fixtures, where numbers are already struggling with the constant effects of the recession forcing players to emigrate in search of work. However, only time will tell if the rule changes will be a success.

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1615 - 16/10/2013 13:29:51    1501616

Link

A SUPERB ARTICLE THIS ONE!

WELL DONE CONGRESS - NOT
Just for the craic lets throw in a little more bureaucracy for the poor man in the middle to deal with - the black card. Are the delegates at congress absolute sheep to be swayed by a couple of video clips!!! Aparently they were showen a completely one sided video analysis of tripping pulling etc which of course no one wants to see in our games - but their answer - another card to administer - please.

It is scary to think what mess lies ahead for the GAA - especially in football in the wake of black cards. Now not only has this wretched creature to have eyes in the back of his head but the cretins have given him more rules. He now has more magic cards than a game of Dungeons and Dragons!!!!

He has to work this all out in a split second. Which card to show next? Is it a yellow card is it a black card is it even worthy of a red card. How much verbal abuse is worthy of a black card. Is that a trip or just a little bit awkward. When is a mistimed hard tackle a deliberate attempt to stop a player? The only way this will work is that ever imperfect collision is a black card offence. Have none of these people every played our games? A certain amount of stick has always been in the games - sure, dare I say it, you have to have a bit of metal and you have to have mental strength to become great.

Yes, yes there are problems, yes no one wants to see dragging or tripping but is that not what a yellow card is for? Is the black card not a cop out by officialdom? We are not tackling the issue of consistency by our referees; we want to simplify situations and scenarios, not complicate them with more obscure rulings. Why not send 5, 6 or 7 off? That will sort it out very quickly!!!

Part of the new rule is a black card for blocking an apponent etc but if a referee sees blocking or tripping he should yellow card the player anyway making a black card redundant. What is happening is that these incidents are happening out of eyesight and a lot of the time behind the play.

If a player is abusive to player or official - yellow card him!!!

Is every jersey pull then 'an attempt to pull down an opponent'?Is this clearly stated?

Is every competitive entanglement for a ball that ends up a foul a black card? Why not? If I win that ball and he stops me from playing it, he is deliberately slowing my team. And who can say for sure this is not the case?

If I slow up the play by not releasing the ball after over carrying - is this a black card? If not why not? I am stopping my opponents gaining advantage by my actions and deliberately hindering their movement!

Anybody know what will happen with the black book currently flashed at a player when the new card comes in? Is it done away with or will we add an extra pocket on the refs shirt!!!!!

Finally spare a thought for the division 3 club player in all the backwaters of every county, when the black card reaches these crevices of the GAA, where the life blood of the GAA flows and the dna of the association exists, I predict bedlam. I predict referees finding themselves in great difficulty, the brunt of verbal and possibly physical abuse as they now not only have to adjudicate red card offences - perhaps 5 scenarios; and yellow card offences - perhaps 10/12 scenarios; they now have a black card with perhaps 20 or 30 scenarios to police in a consistent manner, all after a hard 8-10 hours days work!!

We predict referees retiring in their droves - well done congress

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1615 - 16/10/2013 13:42:49    1501629

Link

Well, I did say that the dreaded black card would be interesting and if any of you watched The Sunday Game last night you would see that it was a very heated discussion point. McEnamey was called in to try and diffuse the situation and implied that all was well with the black card but in my opinion, it has not at all gone well.
It's yet ANOTHER example of rules being made for the sake of it...Surely it would have been so much easier to make the 'Sean Cavanagh' tackle a red card offence (player in on goal, hauled down - straight red) simple.!!
What do ya all reckon - is it working or is it simply adding to the pressure on our ref's as well as confusing the life out of the paying faithful...??

The panel on TV last night went through nuerous examples of the black card not being issued when it should have, and remember , these are our TOP TOP referees...what chance has a club referee got if these guys are getting it wrong....

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1615 - 02/06/2014 13:19:53    1596708

Link

Why did the black card come in to the game? Mainly because of the famous joe brolly rant and 'that cavanagh tackle' ..so we go back to that situation now with the black card in place, would cavanagh still drag McManus down knowing he was going to get a black card and only miss the remainder of this game? I'd say yes he would do it and 'take one for the team' to get them through...however, if the rules had of been that pulling a player down who is on goal results in a straight red being given and cavanagh was to miss out in the next game, i feel that this a more serious consequence for the player and he wouldn't rugby tackle the player. So I do agree that a more serious punishment was needed for the tackle (the straight red card) but there is no need for a whole new card and rules to be introduced!!

GAA_BALLER (Down) - Posts: 2 - 02/06/2014 13:57:18    1596745

Link