Cillian McDaid (Monivea Abbey)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Cein D'Arcy (Caherlistrane)
Sean Kelly (Moycullen)
Michael Daly (Mountbellew-Moylough)
Mikey Boyle (Killererin)
Robert Finnerty (Salthill Knocknacarra)
Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin-Clonberne)"
Good to see some new players being tried out. The one complaint I have about this team is Johnny Duane. It's well overdue that he was put out to pasture. Never had the pace for intercounty football and certainly doesn't have it now.

Mailman98 (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 15/01/2020 10:33:13    2259921

Link

I know people have concerns with the fullback line and rightly so but the halfback line last Sunday didn't exactly set the world on fire either as Mayo players were allowed to saunter up the field without too much pressure being applied (the Galway midfield didn't do too much to help out also). I hope the likes of Daly, Brannigan and McDaid can get more stuck in this time and stop / curb those attacks as much as possible.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2340 - 15/01/2020 10:40:54    2259923

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Galway team for FBD final v Roscommon

Ronan O'Beolain (Micheal Breathnach)
Conor Campbell (Claregalway)
Sean Mulkerrin (Oileain Arann)
Johnny Duane (St James)
Eamon Brannigan (St Michael's)
John Daly (Mountbellew-Moylough)
Cillian McDaid (Monivea Abbey)
Tom Flynn (Athenry)
Cein D'Arcy (Caherlistrane)
Sean Kelly (Moycullen)
Michael Daly (Mountbellew-Moylough)
Mikey Boyle (Killererin)
Robert Finnerty (Salthill Knocknacarra)
Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin-Clonberne)"
You left out Adrian Varley in the full forward line there - I thought I was not adding up the numbers right!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2340 - 15/01/2020 10:46:14    2259926

Link

PJ is certainly giving places a chance, that's all you can ask of new management, probably a blessing NUIG got knocked out, will get to see O Beolain and Finnerty, Finnerty was very good last week, looks a good forward, O Beolain was good in the hurling 2 weeks ago, decent last week in the Sigerson, hes a busy man, but certainly the no 1 spot is up for grabs.

Rossies will have a strong team out which is what you want , another tough test, and get gametime into the likes of Comer before the Monaghan game, which is a huge game for us.

puckemhard (Galway) - Posts: 203 - 15/01/2020 10:56:55    2259931

Link

Replying To PressureKick:  "Galway team named. 6 rookies including two in the full back line, and a number of other experienced names left off. Roscommon should surely fancy their chances with a similar team to the last day. Still plenty of interesting Galway newcomers. Everyone in the county wants a proper look at young Mulkerrin at full back, and Robert Finnerty comes in in great form. Good opportunity for Darcy with loads of lads missing at midfield. Change of goalkeeper seems a bit odd pre national league"
6 rookies? I see 4 if You include Mulkerrins who I think has previous FBD experience,Cambell,Darcy, and Finnerty are the only others.

2hops (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 15/01/2020 11:09:34    2259934

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I know people have concerns with the fullback line and rightly so but the halfback line last Sunday didn't exactly set the world on fire either as Mayo players were allowed to saunter up the field without too much pressure being applied (the Galway midfield didn't do too much to help out also). I hope the likes of Daly, Brannigan and McDaid can get more stuck in this time and stop / curb those attacks as much as possible."
I figured it wouldn't take long for the carping to start about the defensive capacity of that half-back line, a line that presumably has been selected to augment the attacking approach of the new manager. Can't be any surprise that there would be defensive questionmarks about that line as a trio. Otherwise, we'd be in clover, because they'll obviously be a talented trio when we're in possession, or counterattacking.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2355 - 15/01/2020 11:19:56    2259937

Link

Replying To 2hops:  "6 rookies? I see 4 if You include Mulkerrins who I think has previous FBD experience,Cambell,Darcy, and Finnerty are the only others."
Boyle or O'Beolain have no league or championship experience to my knowledge. I think that more than counts as being regarded as a rookie

PressureKick (UK) - Posts: 110 - 15/01/2020 11:38:52    2259939

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I know people have concerns with the fullback line and rightly so but the halfback line last Sunday didn't exactly set the world on fire either as Mayo players were allowed to saunter up the field without too much pressure being applied (the Galway midfield didn't do too much to help out also). I hope the likes of Daly, Brannigan and McDaid can get more stuck in this time and stop / curb those attacks as much as possible."
That's the risk when you have no sweeper and want to play fast attacking football

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 15/01/2020 11:39:23    2259941

Link

Replying To PressureKick:  "Boyle or O'Beolain have no league or championship experience to my knowledge. I think that more than counts as being regarded as a rookie"
I'm nearly sure o bealoin started in goals against the dubs in pearse stadium the year Galway got to league final?

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 15/01/2020 12:01:49    2259952

Link

Replying To Mailman98:  "Good to see some new players being tried out. The one complaint I have about this team is Johnny Duane. It's well overdue that he was put out to pasture. Never had the pace for intercounty football and certainly doesn't have it now."
100% agree about Duane... I can't understand it to be honest...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 15/01/2020 12:27:23    2259956

Link

Replying To Ayeartilmonday:  "I'm nearly sure o bealoin started in goals against the dubs in pearse stadium the year Galway got to league final?"
Yes he was. Had a good day on kickouts that day as well. Should have won that game.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 124 - 15/01/2020 12:35:43    2259957

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "You left out Adrian Varley in the full forward line there - I thought I was not adding up the numbers right!"
Yes Varley is the other corner forward.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1771 - 15/01/2020 12:51:01    2259962

Link

Replying To Ayeartilmonday:  "That's the risk when you have no sweeper and want to play fast attacking football"
The Dublin halfback line e.g. McCaffrey and McCarthy have no problem attacking and score quite often without any issues about being very good defenders as well so one doesn't always contradict the other.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2340 - 15/01/2020 13:19:16    2259972

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "The Dublin halfback line e.g. McCaffrey and McCarthy have no problem attacking and score quite often without any issues about being very good defenders as well so one doesn't always contradict the other."
You cant compare multi All Ireland winners with what we have..World apart ability wise..

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 228 - 15/01/2020 14:11:41    2259996

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "The Dublin halfback line e.g. McCaffrey and McCarthy have no problem attacking and score quite often without any issues about being very good defenders as well so one doesn't always contradict the other."
Understand what you are saying but it took Dublin years to get the right balance, donegal and Ryan McHugh exploited the space left by the attacking half back,now they have the luxury of cian o Sullivan sweeping.

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 15/01/2020 14:14:17    2259998

Link

one of the (many) things that makes the dubs so good is their ability to defend 1 v 1. obviously a good forward will roast most defenders 1 v 1 but they have that physique big and strong yet not too bulky keeping them very mobile. you look at cooper, mick fitz etc and generally they can hold a man up until help arrives. that gives their attacking wing backs that bit more freedom.

we need fb line that can do that. not get roasted 1 v 1. yes u will lose some balls and possible the odd goal but in general hold ur own. we have been lacking in that capacity and i think that may have contributed to the negativity.

whats this campbell like? and is kerin still involved?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1259 - 15/01/2020 16:37:47    2260031

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "one of the (many) things that makes the dubs so good is their ability to defend 1 v 1. obviously a good forward will roast most defenders 1 v 1 but they have that physique big and strong yet not too bulky keeping them very mobile. you look at cooper, mick fitz etc and generally they can hold a man up until help arrives. that gives their attacking wing backs that bit more freedom.

we need fb line that can do that. not get roasted 1 v 1. yes u will lose some balls and possible the odd goal but in general hold ur own. we have been lacking in that capacity and i think that may have contributed to the negativity.

whats this campbell like? and is kerin still involved?"
great post and i 100% agree that this lack of 1 v 1 ability and confidence from kw led to the masseddefence...pj needs to come up with some pacy powerful full back line defenders if he is to persist as he is and even with that we will concede quite a bit
kerin is recovering from surgery (ankle) and campbell is a nice footballer who is very comfortable on the ball, likes to attck and as well as that quite a good man marker also... a bit light and young so lets see how he goes

great to see finnerty in from the start and this gives us a left footed free taker and penalty man as well

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 15/01/2020 21:17:30    2260088

Link

Replying To PressureKick:  "Boyle or O'Beolain have no league or championship experience to my knowledge. I think that more than counts as being regarded as a rookie"
Not sure about Boyle but O Beolain played v the dubs in lg 2018, this is FBD so anyone that played previously in that comp is not a rookie, also think any of these new squad additions who don't see action this wkend won't feature in the lg,

2hops (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 16/01/2020 09:19:45    2260133

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "one of the (many) things that makes the dubs so good is their ability to defend 1 v 1. obviously a good forward will roast most defenders 1 v 1 but they have that physique big and strong yet not too bulky keeping them very mobile. you look at cooper, mick fitz etc and generally they can hold a man up until help arrives. that gives their attacking wing backs that bit more freedom.

whats this campbell like? and is kerin still involved?"
100% agree great post. You often see the dubs full back line bombing forward and full forwards following them. As what happened with the Gooch and philly mcmahon

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 16/01/2020 10:31:15    2260146

Link

What do people think of Mikey Boyle? I haven't seen much of him but Joyce must think he has it in him given he's got another start.

Looking forward to see all the NUIG lads play. MulKerrin was an exceptional minor but didn't look to exceptional against Dublin in last years u20's.

TheBishop (Galway) - Posts: 40 - 16/01/2020 13:24:33    2260193

Link