Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

It's not the end of the world, a little bit of fine tuning can make a huge difference, one of the problems going into the game yesterday was the fear of being beaten, Leitrim clearly didn't have that. There's no individual player to blame, but a reshuffle in some positions is needed badly, individuals have to step up to the mark and take owner ship of their positions and man mark. IMO the positions that can claim such owners are (1) (3) (6) (8) (9) (10) (12) (13) (14) for example, Eoghan Ruth might swap places with Paul Reid, Although I still see Limerick and Clare favourites for promotion, I think Carlow may very well put in a better performance next Sunday, and who knows after that.
FB. TAFKANO1FAN, I totally agree with your post, I think our CB took the cheap option no doubt, our u/21's saw a management selection that was a total disaster, and like him or not Joe Murphy should have been an automatic choice for that u/21 job and lent his assistance to Anthony Rainbow with the seniors, it's not that our CB wont learn it's simply that the don't want to learn, there is no way I;m going to fall into the trap and start blaming the players.

PS. - Bennekery, my point was I saw this defeat coming, long before yesterday.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2109 - 04/03/2013 10:41:07    1342198

Link

When it was 15 against 14 why in gods name did we continue to play the extra man back!this meant we had two free men in our back line!!what Derek Hayden done was stupid and sometimes I wonder will He ever learn!is Anthony rainbow going to continue to look at Brendan Murphy going for outrageous shots or is he going to have a word ...don't get me wrong Brendan is a fantastic footballer but his decision making at times has to be questioned...I'm disappointed that ware didn't get more of a chance.if we don't start playing as a team we haven't got a chance!

palabu (Carlow) - Posts: 8 - 04/03/2013 11:52:08    1342284

Link

Tafa - your full name s too long and hard to spell, you are not at the games but absolutely convinced that Rainbow isnt up to it. Bit strong if you are removed from the scene. Your support for Dempsey is amusing! I do agree with a lot of what you said about the game yesterday.
Cannot understand not to make the obvious changes

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 04/03/2013 13:37:36    1342398

Link

Hard luck yesterday lads. Once again disciplinary problems were to the fore. Unfortunately, I cannot see you guys getting up to Div 4 after the last couple of performances. Best of luck in the championship, hopefully you will go on a run like we did a few years back!

MickODire (Wicklow) - Posts: 109 - 04/03/2013 13:54:46    1342418

Link

Oldmac - I am not able to attend games because I am working abroad. I only managed to see the Wicklow game this year. However, I know the players and their positions. Let me be clear, I am not making personal attacks on Rainbow, I had occasion to spend some time with him back in the 90's and he's a decent fellow. However, my point is that he should never have been appointed. Carlow need, now, either an experienced tactician from outside with a proven track record of success or a local manager with extensive knowledge of our club scene.
I am not sure what the County Boards current financial situation is - I assume its not great - but they could have done a lot better than this appointment. And the earlier poster summed it up with their points about u21.
I really believe that Rainbow needs a kind of mentor if he is to stay in the job.
But I would not have appointed him. Joe Murphy was way ahead of him in the queue but if the players wanted an outsider there were out of work managers that we could have approached, one of them has been living close to Carlow for years and went to Clare instead.

And, finally, regarding Luke, it's clear that Luke's task was to stabilise things and bring on the talented minors of 2008. He clearly did that. Things went a bit flat last year but he tuned us from a laughing stock into a decent side - and managed to perform relatively well in the Leinster. He also took us to our first semi final for almost 50 Years.

The problem is that we are not going to push on from this under the current set up. The Board need to take some action fast. They have made a huge mistake.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 04/03/2013 14:06:21    1342431

Link

Lads I dont think there is even a quantum of solace to be gleaned from yesterdays debacle. I know Im wearing this record out but we are not learning anything. We continue to play lads who are not up to it, persist with tactics that plainly are not working and refuse to act early in games when we are obviously in serious trouble. personally I believe that the problem lies with our selectors. Take yesterdays substitutions for example, how did they improve matters? The obvious move to make was to put Redmond back to centre half bring Wally to midfield and put Foley into half forward line. We dont seem to be as fit as other teams and this is not the first year that this problem has arisen. The policy seems to be to have big men in the forward line and imo its not working as we have very little pace there.Look at Leitrim they had couple of big men and 4 pacey others who ran our back line ragged. We offer no goal threat whatsoever. We had 2 shots at goal yesterday whereas Leitrim had about 6. We scored a scrambled goal against Tipp. and none against London for Gods sake. Dont get me started on our backs, suffice to say that our full back line is the weakest Ive seen in 10 or more years. Depressing. One final thing the Leitrim no. 2 was outstanding yesterday he covered the whole field all day and was unlucky not to score a goal, anyone know who was supposed to be marking him?

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 04/03/2013 15:03:07    1342484

Link

There is not much point in saying that the County Board should act regarding Anthony Rainbow - remember the fact that he is in the job is them 'reacting' to us needing a new manager after Luke Dempsey.He was the easy option. Anthony Rainbow will be in the job for as long as he wishes with this County Board unless he does something terribly wrong! Luke Dempsey would still be there if he had'nt wanted to go himself. I agree with Pennypincher regarding the selectors and i would add in the fitness trainer as well. Apart from the manager nothing has changed with the senior footballers this year. Anthony Rainbow should have cleared them all out and started afresh but perhaps his loyalty to them will actually be his undoing. How can they stand on the sideline and look at Brian Murphy all on his own inside the Leitrim half yesterday and not do something about it is beyond me. What are they seeing that the rest of the 750 (plus children!!!) who were in DCP yesterday cant see?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 04/03/2013 15:39:38    1342525

Link

where to start, firstly this defensive strategy has lead to us conceding more not less, it's laughable really, and looks to have ended our promotion hopes. let's start at the back, firstly playing an extra back the way we do makes no sense especially when your using one of the finest footballers in the county to do it. the management is wrong and they need to change it now. the modern game is such that defense has to be taken very seriously but this is the wrong way to do it, this strategy is years out of date, what we need to do is use our two wing forwards in defense when we don't have the ball and in attack when we have it, it's not rocket science. absolutely no need for what we are doing now

we need a new midfield partnership, im like a broken record but again this partnership has not worked and needs to be changed now while we still can salvage something from the season

now as for the forwards, well a two man full forward line can work but not the way we play it, this thing of have the two of them so close together makes no sense, please somebody enlighten me as how this could be an advantage to us, it's ridiculous surely if you play two man full forward line their should be sufficiant distance between them so that the defending team could not use one extra back to cover both, we really make it easy for teams.

it's really not good for the soul watching games like yesterdays

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1296 - 04/03/2013 18:07:51    1342681

Link

meant to add, how did we decide to allow mulligan roam all over the field like he owned it, that would be like leitrim saying we are not going to mark brendan murphy

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1296 - 04/03/2013 18:23:39    1342695

Link

2 WORDS.......ABSOLUTELY DIRE !!!!

Thats promotion gone yet again. Same mistakes as usual, both on and off the line. Our biggest problem has been lack of consistency over the past few years play one good match then 2 bad ones. The alarm bells were ringing for me against London but management obviously thought different. Only one gameplan and when that doesnt work we have nothing else. Rainbow was quoted as saying on radio after the match that the PLAYERS APPEARED TO BE OUT ON THEIR FEET. How very observant of him, pity he didnt notice it in the 2nd third of the 2nd half and not the last 3rd. I cannot see how this can be turned around against Limerick next week i hope im proved wrong but on yesterdays showing we will not win another game in the League and if that happens come April thats football finished.
Im begining to worry big time about the CB attitude towards progression of football in Carlow. I thought the Chairman was a good appointment but now im seeing a totally different side to it. Im getting the impression they are trying to put the final nail in the coffin of football here. After what happened with the U21s and the excuse the Chairmain gave was an absolute bloody disgrace and lack of respect to they guys who went into train. We clearly havnt learnt from past mistakes and all the good work that has been done to try restore football is clearly on the rocky road to dublin yet again.

THE BOSS (Carlow) - Posts: 475 - 04/03/2013 18:25:53    1342701

Link

No need to go over the top with the analysis boys and girls.... Rainbow has more experience than any of us as a player and playing under top managers. None of us are managers so tone it down I say. One thing he needs is on the line experience and that is going to take a bit of time. Be realistic - we have been mid table for as long as I remember so it's no easy job managing Carlow!

Benekerry (Cavan) - Posts: 258 - 04/03/2013 18:51:41    1342731

Link

Benekerry - he may have been a good player himself but that does not necessarily transfer to being a good manager. He was brought in last year to change things up - we are still no better off than we are every other year. Its not like we have high expectations in Carlow - we dont expect to win a Leinster or challenge for an All Ireland, all we want is to be competitive and try to get out of Div 4. Certainly we could go down to Limerick next Sunday and manufacture a win but all it will do is paper over the cracks that are in Carlow football from the top (county board) down. With Derek Hayden most likely being absent next week he will have no option but to move players around so maybe we will see some sort of inspired gameplan from the management!

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 04/03/2013 19:32:26    1342760

Link

I think Eoghan Ruths two cracking points Sunday deserve a mention

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 04/03/2013 19:37:32    1342764

Link

Dual you seem to see more games than anyone else on here. Are there players not on the panel that should be? We only scored 0-12 yesterday and 0-13 against London. This isnt enough to win many inter county games. There isnt any player in the team now who you would put money on to bag a goal or two. If we get a goal it seems to be luck more than anything else. Do you think Walker would be a scorer?

oldmcdonald (Carlow) - Posts: 140 - 04/03/2013 20:09:26    1342807

Link

Old MacD - Im no different to most of the contributors on here who traipse around the country week in and week out following any Carlow team. Just to answer your questions - I think Ray is more of a ball winner and carrier than he is a natural scorer. You only have to look at how he almost carried the entire Blues team to the semi final of the county this year. When played in his correct position he can be a massive influence on any game. What we need is a forward or two who can produce a goal from limited possession. We need also to ensure that all our opportunities are taken with frees, 45's, penalties etc. Lets hope the lads can turn around again next Sunday!

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 04/03/2013 20:42:19    1342838

Link

With three rounds played where do you all see the point going next week

Here is where I think they will go

Clare v Tipperary - tipperary
London v Waterford - Waterford
Limerick v Carlow - Carlow
Leitrim v offaly - offaly

Scallioneater (Carlow) - Posts: 287 - 04/03/2013 20:56:05    1342850

Link

i was at the limerick waterford game, brutal it was, if we were set up right we could beat them

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1296 - 04/03/2013 20:59:49    1342856

Link

Just heard today that mccormack from eire og was the leading club scorer by a mile in 2012 was keen to play for the county but wasnt asked in. WHY??? he seems to score goals out of nothing and rarely misses a free - thats what we lack in our present forward line.

Ray at half forward would score and set-up plenty of scoring opportunities.

In an ideal world with ideal management/selectors and proper tactics ----- the ideal team for county would be:

Trevor

b lambe c lawler b kavanagh

cashin s redmond k nolan

brendan murphy eoin ruth

derek hayden r walker s gannon

mccormack brian murphy jj smith

subs: s mernagh, st ledger, d foley, p murphy, bj molloy, j murphy, a kelly, d ware,

all 6 forwards know how to score. plenty of pace in the backs.

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 256 - 04/03/2013 21:16:17    1342878

Link

We shouldn't overreact to the loss but I do agree with the walker/Redmond problem.

Shanes the best centre back we've produced in years and ray walker is a fine midfielder or half forward. To see them
Both in the wrong positions seems odd to say the least.

But the real problem we face is a lack of scoring forwards. Who was the last carlow forward to score 1-4or 2-2 in a game.
We need real corner forwards who stay near the goal and are a threat. Brian murphy is playing well and the other forwards are
trying but we need scorers badly.

Eric McCormick could be a big addition to the squad if brought in.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1147 - 04/03/2013 21:35:19    1342901

Link

Benekerry
County: Cavan

No need to go over the top with the analysis boys and girls.... Rainbow has more experience than any of us as a player and playing under top managers. None of us are managers so tone it down I say. One thing he needs is on the line experience and that is going to take a bit of time. Be realistic - we have been mid table for as long as I remember so it's no easy job managing Carlow!

-----------------------------------------------
Benekerry, I have two problems here.. You say he needs experience on the line? So Carlow is to be his training ground? I.e. we with our best panel in years should wait until he gets some experience and then promptly heads off somewhere else? Sounds like a pretty dud deal for us. That brings us back to my point that we needed an experienced manager not a trainee. Having Rainbow is charge of this young team is like placing a Junior Doctor in charge of a key-hole surgery on a nervous patient - a bad fit.

Also, you mention that he was a great player and played under top managers? What has that got to do with it? Paul Bealin was a great player too and his reign with Carlow was not so successful, ditto Liam Hayes (although better).

Probably the best manager of the last 30 years - Sean Boylan - never actually really played football, only Hurling and Rugby. That is worth bearing in mind.

Also, if you look at the soccer lately, there is a big trend towards managers that never actually really played the game, I guess Wegner started it, then you have Mourinho and Villas-Boas. Also, Rodgers and Ferguson were never great players. Ditto Rugby, Clive Woodward? Declan Kidney?

We have had a lot of great players manage us over the years and the better they were as players the worse they seem to be as managers.

I am tired of Carlow being used as a training ground for novice bosses. Because of the good work Dempsey had done in taking our mess of 2007/08 and stablising the situation we had a couple of options this time. What did your County Board do? Appointed a guy with no experience??!?!

Now Rainbow is learning on the job, playing lads out of positions and tinkering with systems. This is not Championship Manager on the PC, this is OUR county football team. It is just not fair on the players or supporters and it's NOT good enough.

Our manager patently hasn't got a clue in my opinion and he should either be removed or reduced to the role of trainer with an experienced manager doing the tactics and game-plan.

TAFKANO1FAN (Carlow) - Posts: 588 - 05/03/2013 09:38:49    1342971

Link