Westmeath Forum

O'Byrne Cup 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Djkray:  "I know i started off all this by giving out about our style of play but it has esculated to giving out about players. Let me tell you county players worjk very hard and if they are sent out to play a certain way and it is not there fault if it is a bad system been drilled into them. Westmeath cant play that style of football. As for Denis in my oppinon the best and most talented player we have had and i say he should keep going as long as possible as younger players will learn from him all the time. If there is a player in there 20s that would be anywhere near as in good of condition as he is then i will eat my hat.
Still not going to see them anymore while Tom Cribbin is Manager and i go to every single game only missed 2 league or championship games in 4 years.
Sorry but this is the worst style i have seen in any westmeath team ever"
chops has come out of the woodwork to have his usual pop at dennis . not for chops the positive of dennis experience
dennis may not be a regular starter but he is and proudly is the only member of this team with a leinster medal and not even chops can take it away from him

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1256 - 13/01/2017 14:27:55    1945459

Link

Replying To Djkray:  "I know i started off all this by giving out about our style of play but it has esculated to giving out about players. Let me tell you county players worjk very hard and if they are sent out to play a certain way and it is not there fault if it is a bad system been drilled into them. Westmeath cant play that style of football. As for Denis in my oppinon the best and most talented player we have had and i say he should keep going as long as possible as younger players will learn from him all the time. If there is a player in there 20s that would be anywhere near as in good of condition as he is then i will eat my hat.
Still not going to see them anymore while Tom Cribbin is Manager and i go to every single game only missed 2 league or championship games in 4 years.
Sorry but this is the worst style i have seen in any westmeath team ever"
Does this mean you wont be on the page anymore??

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 487 - 13/01/2017 14:38:55    1945463

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "Does this mean you wont be on the page anymore??"
Well Meridan i will still be on the forum of course i still love my GAA but i just as a matter of principle not spending my money on going to see every match when in my opinion its not attractive or even remotely exciting style of football. I feel i have the right to voic my opinion or is that not to your liking Meridan

Djkray (Dublin) - Posts: 152 - 13/01/2017 15:48:26    1945484

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "Does this mean you wont be on the page anymore??"
Well Meridan i will still be on the forum of course i still love my GAA but i just as a matter of principle not spending my money on going to see every match when in my opinion its not attractive or even remotely exciting style of football. I feel i have the right to voic my opinion or is that not to your liking Meridan

Djkray (Dublin) - Posts: 152 - 13/01/2017 15:48:27    1945485

Link

Replying To Djkray:  "Well Meridan i will still be on the forum of course i still love my GAA but i just as a matter of principle not spending my money on going to see every match when in my opinion its not attractive or even remotely exciting style of football. I feel i have the right to voic my opinion or is that not to your liking Meridan"
Not at all Jkray - you are a regular here. I just think its too early to be predicting the doom and gloom. First 2 games of the league should be the yardstick.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 487 - 13/01/2017 16:11:29    1945486

Link

It is JANUARY lads.......preseason meaningless games like O'Byrne Cup are absolutely no reason to be getting excited. If they were meaningful then yeah give out about the selection/system etc. The most important thing this time of year is giving the maximum amount of players a chance to shine

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 296 - 15/01/2017 21:32:52    1945929

Link

Replying To Darragh:  "It is JANUARY lads.......preseason meaningless games like O'Byrne Cup are absolutely no reason to be getting excited. If they were meaningful then yeah give out about the selection/system etc. The most important thing this time of year is giving the maximum amount of players a chance to shine"
good second half performance . callum mcormack made a huge difference . but also we played a more direct style of football . nice
to see that they could rest james dolan and kieran martin . kevin maguire jamie gonoud david lynch paul sharry and of course heslin stood out
but better starts will be needed in upcoming league games

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1256 - 16/01/2017 07:29:48    1945976

Link

Replying To Darragh:  "It is JANUARY lads.......preseason meaningless games like O'Byrne Cup are absolutely no reason to be getting excited. If they were meaningful then yeah give out about the selection/system etc. The most important thing this time of year is giving the maximum amount of players a chance to shine"
How meaningless is the O'Byrne Cup for Westmeath? Consider the realistic goals they will set at the start of the season!

- O'Byrne Cup
- League
- Leinster Championship
- All-Ireland

Given the fact that 2 of these competitions are out of our reach, does it not make sense to concentrate on the first two competitions to start building on a future?

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1098 - 16/01/2017 14:53:04    1946101

Link

Replying To Ban:  "How meaningless is the O'Byrne Cup for Westmeath? Consider the realistic goals they will set at the start of the season!

- O'Byrne Cup
- League
- Leinster Championship
- All-Ireland

Given the fact that 2 of these competitions are out of our reach, does it not make sense to concentrate on the first two competitions to start building on a future?"
Ban, it is completely meaningless. Every senior county involved uses it in conjunction with early training. You are well entitled to your opinion but O'Byrne Cup is not even a shadow of the competition it used to be and that was hardly top level stuff. By even trying to win it you could argue that a team is doing a disservice to the rest of the panel by not trying to discover a few new names to add to the panel that finished last year. League is the place we need to be hitting competitive levels and then peaking for Championship

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 296 - 17/01/2017 00:08:31    1946214

Link

Replying To Ban:  "How meaningless is the O'Byrne Cup for Westmeath? Consider the realistic goals they will set at the start of the season!

- O'Byrne Cup
- League
- Leinster Championship
- All-Ireland

Given the fact that 2 of these competitions are out of our reach, does it not make sense to concentrate on the first two competitions to start building on a future?"
Damned if you do and damned if you dont!

Ban, are you saying that Tom Cribbin should get his team to peak for the O'Byrne Cup and League? How else are we going to find new players or give lads a chance at this level. Nobody cares about the O'Byrne Cup except for using it for this purpose. Give players a run, try things out, improve fitness etc.

The League has to be our priority and in fairness to Cribben he has stated that. Judge him on the League, not on the O'Byrne Cup.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 487 - 17/01/2017 11:30:46    1946269

Link

Ok @Darragh & @Meridan - I respect where your coming from and its very likely I would have thought the same a few years ago but I guess I see us as a team close to the bottom and not above any competition.

You both talk about trying out new lads in the O'Byrne Cup, taking the league serious and then building up to the Championship.

What goals do you think Tom Cribbin has set for the team this year?

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1098 - 17/01/2017 13:26:48    1946299

Link

only one goal get out of division 3 and from what in the 3 games it will be a hard task

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1256 - 17/01/2017 15:51:50    1946368

Link

Replying To Ban:  "Ok @Darragh & @Meridan - I respect where your coming from and its very likely I would have thought the same a few years ago but I guess I see us as a team close to the bottom and not above any competition.

You both talk about trying out new lads in the O'Byrne Cup, taking the league serious and then building up to the Championship.

What goals do you think Tom Cribbin has set for the team this year?"
Hard to know what goals Tom has for the Championship but getting out of Div 4 is definitely one

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 296 - 17/01/2017 20:33:00    1946486

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "only one goal get out of division 3 and from what in the 3 games it will be a hard task"
We're not in Div 3 Mick we're in Div 4....

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 18/01/2017 01:24:24    1946550

Link

Replying To Ban:  "Ok @Darragh & @Meridan - I respect where your coming from and its very likely I would have thought the same a few years ago but I guess I see us as a team close to the bottom and not above any competition.

What goals do you think Tom Cribbin has set for the team this year?"
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=265157

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 487 - 18/01/2017 14:27:29    1946666

Link