Galway Forum

Galway V Dublin

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

IOff all the teams in division 1 Galway definitely struggle the most with kick outs I think they just have 2 long with them all and try win even half them at this stage at least they have a chance if ball in opposite end of field it's not a great tactic I know but it might be our only chance would u try Shane Walsh midfield with Flynn at least once he get the ball there he bearing down on goal , I know we need him full forward as well ,, if not him would Michael Daly do a job there he definitely 2 slow for wing forward , with opposite wing backs flying down the field he struggles big time ,, I know there not much time for trying these things out ,Galway lack pace in most areas of field all teams are fit but pace is a different thing ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 453 - 26/10/2020 14:00:21    2301622

Link

Replying To Flaherty:  "Too many not being realistic on here, it will be a short winter's football for us I'm afraid.

In reality, Dublin were only in second gear yesterday and easily brushed us aside. Defensively we have too many players who struggle one to one or don't have the physicality necessary.

Outstanding show from Conroy but is it not saying something when a player like him who struggled to perform anywhere on the team in the past 10 years is now by far our best performer apart from maybe Shane Walsh? What does it say about the young fellas? Possibly they're not near ready. I think we're clearly in transition for the next couple of years and I hope PJ is given that time. He will need it by the looks of things these past couple of games and us supporters will need lots of patience..."
Whenever Galway put in a half decent performance against the likes of Dublin/ Kerry you will always hear " Ah they were only in second gear " Dublin had a strong team out whether you like it or not, you can only play against the team they put out. Something like 11 of the lads that started AI replay. Do you suggest that Galway were in fifth gear? I certainly don't think so. Think you're being harsh on conroy also, think he's been nominated twice for an all star so he couldn't have been that bad?
Hope the young lads aren't reading your comments or sure there's no point lining out at all. We have a good team, awful performance against Mayo but we were better against Dubs, if we keep building , beat Sligo , we won't be easy to beat in the Connaught final. Years not over yet .

shanestaple (Galway) - Posts: 2 - 26/10/2020 15:03:57    2301656

Link

Bernie was an improvement on Gleeson - impossible to judge kickouts on a day like that. Did what he had to do.

Great to see full back line tightening up a bit - Kelly and Mulkerrins look to be be real solid additions.
Foley was absolutely cleaned by Paddy Small and there is no other way to dress it up. Showed Small on to his left foot twice in the first half which small duly pointed from. It's like he didn't do his homework and presumed Small was right footed?

O'Donnell again looking solid and Heaney and Silke not too bad. Maybe Silke back to corner back and bring in Bradshaw/McDaid?

D'arcy is clearly a favorite of Joyce's having started all seven league game, I imagine he's a certain starter for Sligo.
I thought the decision to take Flynn off was extremely harsh. Barrett was certainly not an improvement when he came on. I imagine if Steede is fit he will partner D'arcy v Sligo although I would much prefer to see Flynn against more physical teams.

Leonard scored a point but I still do not think is going to be an option marking a Paddy Durcan/Ryan McHugh etc. Brannigan is the better option long term.
Conroy outstanding
Paul Kelly - A huge talent, but not for this year for me. Made a huge error for the goal and didn't do enough to warrant losing his eligibility for the U20 final.

The full forward line as a unit lost Galway this game in the first half. They should have been commanding direct long passes in but instead on too many occasions were behind their men. O'Donnell at one stage under the stand looks up twice with ball in hand and has to turn around to recycle the ball backwards. Flynn kicked a sideline into Varley who was also behind his man. As soon as Conroy started kicking big scores - they stood back and waited for him to do it. Similar to what Galway forwards do when Comer/Walsh are in form.
Individually I like each player and feel they all have a lot to offer this Galway team but would love to see them stand up and be counted rather than wait for the big names to take over. Varley won a lot of dirty ball so I would have him alongside Shane with Finnerty on the other side as he offers a bit more of a scoring threat than Burke.

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 133 - 26/10/2020 16:21:30    2301686

Link

Replying To shanestaple:  "Whenever Galway put in a half decent performance against the likes of Dublin/ Kerry you will always hear " Ah they were only in second gear " Dublin had a strong team out whether you like it or not, you can only play against the team they put out. Something like 11 of the lads that started AI replay. Do you suggest that Galway were in fifth gear? I certainly don't think so. Think you're being harsh on conroy also, think he's been nominated twice for an all star so he couldn't have been that bad?
Hope the young lads aren't reading your comments or sure there's no point lining out at all. We have a good team, awful performance against Mayo but we were better against Dubs, if we keep building , beat Sligo , we won't be easy to beat in the Connaught final. Years not over yet ."
I don't mean to be harsh on Paul Conroy, he's always been a good player but let's be honest he never quite held down one position and called it his own over the years. I don't know, perhaps KW was at fault in the past or something. Maybe Paul Conroy was messed around over the years but look at him on Sunday and he would be the first man on your team sheet, you'd play him anywhere wouldn't you? Players don't usually become a revelation quite suddenly at 31?

Of course the point I'm really making is more to do with the rest of the team...and how Paul Conroy contrasts with their inexperience right now or so it would seem. Has he become massively better or do they make him look better?

I too think we're starting to put together a decent team and a style of play more suited to Galway so I'm not disparaging them but we do need to be realistic as heavy expectations, too soon, are also just as damaging as honest criticism.

Flaherty (UK) - Posts: 89 - 26/10/2020 19:10:48    2301738

Link

Replying To galway4life:  "It's actually embarrassing with the kickout. Kick it out long and hope for the best."
While I do agree with you on kick out strategy we aren't the only county giving our about goalkeepers. Look at Clark's performance yesterday, kick out poor not to mention two goals he would have saved easily two years ago. Look at Cluxton yesterday ie kicked out over sideline on 3 occasions.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 571 - 26/10/2020 21:02:41    2301786

Link

Replying To galway4life:  "It's actually embarrassing with the kickout. Kick it out long and hope for the best."
While I do agree with you on kick out strategy we aren't the only county giving our about goalkeepers. Look at Clark's performance yesterday, kick out poor not to mention two goals he would have saved easily two years ago. Look at Cluxton yesterday ie kicked out over sideline on 3 occasions.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 571 - 26/10/2020 21:02:42    2301787

Link

Replying To Flaherty:  "I don't mean to be harsh on Paul Conroy, he's always been a good player but let's be honest he never quite held down one position and called it his own over the years. I don't know, perhaps KW was at fault in the past or something. Maybe Paul Conroy was messed around over the years but look at him on Sunday and he would be the first man on your team sheet, you'd play him anywhere wouldn't you? Players don't usually become a revelation quite suddenly at 31?

Of course the point I'm really making is more to do with the rest of the team...and how Paul Conroy contrasts with their inexperience right now or so it would seem. Has he become massively better or do they make him look better?

I too think we're starting to put together a decent team and a style of play more suited to Galway so I'm not disparaging them but we do need to be realistic as heavy expectations, too soon, are also just as damaging as honest criticism."
Never quite held down one position? I'm not sure if you have been watching.. he has been playing for Galway since '08 I think, year after they won minor, and he has been midfield for at least 10 of those 12 years? all stars nominations previous poster mentioned were both for midfield.

cavan.galway (Galway) - Posts: 105 - 26/10/2020 21:24:21    2301794

Link

Replying To gbay:  "anyone on here no whats the story with molloy and wall..
is comer out of full championship or what..
is fintan o curr still on the panel..
anyone have or no the full squad.."
Molloy had poor campaign with Corofin and doesn't seem to be in Joyce's plan even though still on the panel.
Wall injured and mightn't see football until next year. A player that would certainly give something and would be a huge positive.
Comers injury nightmare continues and best to leave that one to the medics.

Pullin.lambs1 (Galway) - Posts: 69 - 27/10/2020 06:02:07    2301845

Link

Deeply worried about midfield. Cein D'Arcy is clearly nowhere near senior inter county level and Michael Barrett is barely a club midfielder. In the 2nd half , Conroy and Shane Walsh were the only 2 who won primary possession and on another few occasions we managed to win a break. Compare that with Fenton and McCarthy midfield for Dublin and all of a sudden we are all realizing that we are nowhere and I mean absolutely nowhere near beating a big team this season. Foley at corner back got cleaned also and conceded at least 5 frees.

Up front for the 2nd week in a row Leonard proved he is only a good club player and not an inter county player both technically and physically. All of a sudden it looks like we will beat Sligo and lose a Connacht final to either Mayo or Roscommon.

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 27/10/2020 09:17:24    2301858

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "Deeply worried about midfield. Cein D'Arcy is clearly nowhere near senior inter county level and Michael Barrett is barely a club midfielder. In the 2nd half , Conroy and Shane Walsh were the only 2 who won primary possession and on another few occasions we managed to win a break. Compare that with Fenton and McCarthy midfield for Dublin and all of a sudden we are all realizing that we are nowhere and I mean absolutely nowhere near beating a big team this season. Foley at corner back got cleaned also and conceded at least 5 frees.

Up front for the 2nd week in a row Leonard proved he is only a good club player and not an inter county player both technically and physically. All of a sudden it looks like we will beat Sligo and lose a Connacht final to either Mayo or Roscommon."
Agreed. Two clothes horses out the middle would be more mobile.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 273 - 28/10/2020 09:39:34    2302340

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "Deeply worried about midfield. Cein D'Arcy is clearly nowhere near senior inter county level and Michael Barrett is barely a club midfielder. In the 2nd half , Conroy and Shane Walsh were the only 2 who won primary possession and on another few occasions we managed to win a break. Compare that with Fenton and McCarthy midfield for Dublin and all of a sudden we are all realizing that we are nowhere and I mean absolutely nowhere near beating a big team this season. Foley at corner back got cleaned also and conceded at least 5 frees.

Up front for the 2nd week in a row Leonard proved he is only a good club player and not an inter county player both technically and physically. All of a sudden it looks like we will beat Sligo and lose a Connacht final to either Mayo or Roscommon."
Who's Michael Barret?

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 631 - 28/10/2020 09:52:09    2302345

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Who's Michael Barret?"
He's the imitation midfielder who came on v Dublin last weekend.

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 29/10/2020 14:28:06    2302837

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "He's the imitation midfielder who came on v Dublin last weekend."
You mean Matthias Barrett?

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 631 - 29/10/2020 15:09:55    2302854

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "You mean Matthias Barrett?"
What are you talking about ?

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 29/10/2020 15:54:07    2302867

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "What are you talking about ?"
What have you been putting in your maple syrup these mornings?
Nobody called Michael Barrett played for Galway against Dublin last weekend.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 882 - 29/10/2020 17:37:04    2302899

Link

Yer man that was midfield from Carna the last day... are you 1 of those wind up merchants ?!!

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 30/10/2020 08:22:57    2303002

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "Yer man that was midfield from Carna the last day... are you 1 of those wind up merchants ?!!"
No need to be so disrespectful. I agree with you - I don't think he's ready for senior inter county action yet either but he's still under 21 so he can get better. He plays with Lettermore as well not Carna. Reign in the insults, that must be a bitter form of syrup you're takin.

galway2015 (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 30/10/2020 10:08:26    2303012

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "Yer man that was midfield from Carna the last day... are you 1 of those wind up merchants ?!!"
If you don't A) Know his name and B) Know which club he is from, just don't bother commenting on his performance.

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 37 - 30/10/2020 12:02:16    2303053

Link