Galway Forum

Galway vs Leitrim

(Oldest Posts First)

Impressive win against Mayo (Lucky Aswell)
Attention turns to tomorrow now when we face Leitrim.
Looking forward to see the team Lineup.
Expecting a big enough win.
Galway 5+

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 797 - 13/01/2018 10:37:44    2068099

Link

I see james Keane from Barna in goal is he the 10th goalie used by Kevin Walsh since he took over( just wondering ) if so it must be a record not a good one to be honest would any other county have used even half that amount and I'm not criticising the goal keepers just seem madness and yes I know it only FBD but just think in 5 weeks time Galway will have 3 matches in national league over ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 13/01/2018 19:00:56    2068142

Link

Does anyone know why POg didn't start today after being named? I know it's not unusual to change the named team but I was surprised he was part of the panel again to begin with given the amount of injuries he has had over the years I thought his intercounty days were numbered. Great to see I was wrong and just hoping he didn't pick up another injury

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1180 - 14/01/2018 16:33:53    2068244

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Does anyone know why POg didn't start today after being named? I know it's not unusual to change the named team but I was surprised he was part of the panel again to begin with given the amount of injuries he has had over the years I thought his intercounty days were numbered. Great to see I was wrong and just hoping he didn't pick up another injury"
Might have something to do with a limit imposed on the number of Connemara men allowed in FBD. Joking aside, was a good win, given Leitrim's performance against Mayo. The aim must be to find out your best players for positions, and regardless of demographics, the best players will need to be in place come May. Must say, I liked the selection of a Darcy/Maher midfield partnership.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 381 - 14/01/2018 17:21:49    2068249

Link

O Griffen picked up injury in warm up I believe. Poor enough affair, Leitrim were desperate, even factoring in the conditions and the tightness of the pitch.

Finding it hard to get my head around what management are at. Lads out today which will remain nameless will be destroyed come championship. Way off Div 1 standard. Can't see the point in giving them a run at all.

We could be in for a rude awakening in a fortnight s time. Hoping I am wrong.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 14/01/2018 18:18:59    2068271

Link

Replying To northbouind:  "O Griffen picked up injury in warm up I believe. Poor enough affair, Leitrim were desperate, even factoring in the conditions and the tightness of the pitch.

Finding it hard to get my head around what management are at. Lads out today which will remain nameless will be destroyed come championship. Way off Div 1 standard. Can't see the point in giving them a run at all.

We could be in for a rude awakening in a fortnight s time. Hoping I am wrong."
Somebody has to be selected for FBD games and there are about 10 lads missing between Corofin and injuries. If you're ever going to give fringe players a run it has to be in the FBD.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1777 - 14/01/2018 19:36:47    2068301

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Somebody has to be selected for FBD games and there are about 10 lads missing between Corofin and injuries. If you're ever going to give fringe players a run it has to be in the FBD."
And you couldn't put the same 15 out today that only played on Friday in terrible conditions

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1180 - 14/01/2018 19:46:59    2068304

Link

Regardless of forementioned points, which are neither here nor there, it is unfortunately the calibrate of player who is getting a run, way off the required standard. Anyway, time will tell. We should have answers after our league campaign or dare I say well before it comes to a close.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 14/01/2018 20:20:24    2068320

Link

I wouldn't focus on a few players not being up to division 1 level. If we are fielding so many different players for various reasons u would expect a few not to be up to it. Focusing on the positives. Any of the new faces looking good?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 14/01/2018 21:54:22    2068360

Link

Replying To northbouind:  "Regardless of forementioned points, which are neither here nor there, it is unfortunately the calibrate of player who is getting a run, way off the required standard. Anyway, time will tell. We should have answers after our league campaign or dare I say well before it comes to a close."
The points made in reply to your first post pretty much answer the question as to why these players were selected, rather than being "neither here nor there".
Walsh has a lot of players unavailable at the moment. He's also trying to balance a panel that played only a couple of days ago. Finally, he wants to see as many players as possible given that he won't have the opportunity in a very competitive division 1 which starts earlier this year.
You say the calibre of player is the issue. We're pretty much into 4th and 5th choice players for some positions as a result of the issues mentioned above.
If you think we have that much depth of quality that 3rd, 4th or 5th choice players would be at division 1 level, we're a shoo-in for the All-Ireland.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 819 - 14/01/2018 22:57:05    2068377

Link

Very hard to judge players with the last two matches played in terrible conditions but really liked what I saw from padraic Cunningham Friday night in Castlebar think there a bright future there for him if he commits to Football

Galway2017 (Galway) - Posts: 44 - 15/01/2018 09:50:51    2068419

Link

I know a lot of people are giving out about pre season competitions but surely they are more useful than an A v B game. As long as it is understood that they are just really training/warm up matches they may have a little more bite in them.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 15/01/2018 10:42:15    2068431

Link

Replying To Galway2017:  "Very hard to judge players with the last two matches played in terrible conditions but really liked what I saw from padraic Cunningham Friday night in Castlebar think there a bright future there for him if he commits to Football"
I saw on Social media he is going to Cork City next year and may not be available

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 417 - 15/01/2018 13:37:06    2068481

Link

Replying To GDL:  "I saw on Social media he is going to Cork City next year and may not be available"
Don't believe everything you read on social media :-)

johnjoe21 (Galway) - Posts: 95 - 15/01/2018 17:42:38    2068541

Link

Replying To johnjoe21:  "Don't believe everything you read on social media :-)"
an awful pity he didn't play under 21 last year
he would have been a big addition to galway team that reached all Ireland football final

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1178 - 15/01/2018 22:52:03    2068600

Link