Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I see a lot of posters arguing for Flannagan starting and I understand the reasoning and wouldn't be disappointed to see it. However, I would also argue that the the Galway corner backs; Harte and Cooney, match up badly with smaller nippier corner forwards like Casey and Mulcahy. Even if Gillane breaks even with Daithi you'd imagine there'd be plenty of opportunity for the other 2. And then of course you'd have the nightmare scenario for Daithi of Flannagan, who gave him awful trouble in 18, coming on for 20 minutes after battling with Gillane, with Gillane moving on to a (hopefully run ragged) corner back and giving them another new and different challenge.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 27/11/2020 04:01:44    2315827

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "I see a lot of posters arguing for Flannagan starting and I understand the reasoning and wouldn't be disappointed to see it. However, I would also argue that the the Galway corner backs; Harte and Cooney, match up badly with smaller nippier corner forwards like Casey and Mulcahy. Even if Gillane breaks even with Daithi you'd imagine there'd be plenty of opportunity for the other 2. And then of course you'd have the nightmare scenario for Daithi of Flannagan, who gave him awful trouble in 18, coming on for 20 minutes after battling with Gillane, with Gillane moving on to a (hopefully run ragged) corner back and giving them another new and different challenge."
All great options and again it's great for an armchair coach like me revel in the bounty of options that our men in the line have brought down on themselves.

Would be unsettling for any back 6 to see Flanagan, Casey or Mul trotting in to them after a torrid 30 or 40 minutes.
Also love the energy , skill and options Darragh brings whether starting or coming on.
That said, I would not be opposed keeping Darragh to cone of the bench, and going with Kyle at 7,Cian andWOD in the middle and having Séamus start at 11 to keep McInerney in check and also having license to swap positions repeatedly with Aaron at the drop of a helmet. This from the the Delaney/ Purcell playbook which produced the "fox in the henhouse" pandemonium for many a back 6 in the 70s.

I'm not saying anything... just making a comment..

Mouth watering indeed.,
Best of luck!!
Come On Ye Boys In Green.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 27/11/2020 11:00:28    2315877

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "I see a lot of posters arguing for Flannagan starting and I understand the reasoning and wouldn't be disappointed to see it. However, I would also argue that the the Galway corner backs; Harte and Cooney, match up badly with smaller nippier corner forwards like Casey and Mulcahy. Even if Gillane breaks even with Daithi you'd imagine there'd be plenty of opportunity for the other 2. And then of course you'd have the nightmare scenario for Daithi of Flannagan, who gave him awful trouble in 18, coming on for 20 minutes after battling with Gillane, with Gillane moving on to a (hopefully run ragged) corner back and giving them another new and different challenge."
You could be right. No weakness in any of those forward players, I was thinking starting Flanagan may be more tactical than anything. Galway and Shane O'Neill will surely be planning on cutting out that left to right diagonal ball that we send in to Gillane so often. Flanagan would give you a natural second target that we could hit but whoever starts from Casey, Mulcahy, Gillane, and Flanagan will do a job.

Best of luck to all in Green on Sunday.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 190 - 27/11/2020 15:55:13    2315957

Link

Replying To Fitzy01:  "You could be right. No weakness in any of those forward players, I was thinking starting Flanagan may be more tactical than anything. Galway and Shane O'Neill will surely be planning on cutting out that left to right diagonal ball that we send in to Gillane so often. Flanagan would give you a natural second target that we could hit but whoever starts from Casey, Mulcahy, Gillane, and Flanagan will do a job.

Best of luck to all in Green on Sunday."
I see Flanagan is on for Peter. I think that is a good choice, if a difficult one. Best of luck to all on Sunday. I think that if the approach ye can do it.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2705 - 27/11/2020 21:43:42    2316053

Link

Huge call with Flanagan..I'm hoping he,ll cause huge trouble for Burke..I really feel for Casey cos he hasn't done anything wrong..I'm hoping gillane and Mul will torment Harte and cooney..no fear with Cian he,ll have legs on mcinerney..I expect seanie to mark whelan,huge day for Barry as he,llbe on concannon who is very mobile and capable of a goal..I'd hope they won't put canning in there as I'd worry then..I think limerick can come through by 3 points but think it'll be nervous..best of luck to players and management..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1153 - 27/11/2020 21:46:29    2316054

Link

13 starters for ye from 2018 final 11 for Galway

Nash and O'Donoghue in for English and Mike Casey

For Galway Eanna Murphy, Shane Cooney, Fintan Burke and Concannon in for Callanan, Tuhoy, Hanbury and Glynn.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2797 - 27/11/2020 22:10:33    2316061

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "Huge call with Flanagan..I'm hoping he,ll cause huge trouble for Burke..I really feel for Casey cos he hasn't done anything wrong..I'm hoping gillane and Mul will torment Harte and cooney..no fear with Cian he,ll have legs on mcinerney..I expect seanie to mark whelan,huge day for Barry as he,llbe on concannon who is very mobile and capable of a goal..I'd hope they won't put canning in there as I'd worry then..I think limerick can come through by 3 points but think it'll be nervous..best of luck to players and management.."
Tough calls on Casey and Reidy as they did nothing wrong the last day. Infact the work rate from Peter was impeccable.

That said, I think this a is a superb team. I do think Flanagan's movement and physicality will cause havoc for the Galway FB line.

Regarding our our full back line I wouldn't be too worried. They will be so well protected with the giant wall of Byrnes, Hannon & Hayes. Not to mention Hego, Cian & Tom falling back. On top of that theres WOD & DOD to contend with in the middle.

If that wasn't bad enough the same eight, when not defending, will be an informidable machine going forward.

So when I get gittery about Sunday, I just think about the make up above and calmness descends.

So the very best of luck to everyone involved on Sunday and hopefully they will bring us to a "Limerick Wonderland" on Dec 13th!!

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 27/11/2020 22:42:14    2316075

Link

Think it's a great call to put Flanagan in.
He'll definitely provide support for Gillane up front and offer extra physicality. He has been in great form and it is no harm for other players to see that rewarded.
The decision has nothing to do with Casey's form. He has been brilliant. No doubt we will need him coming off the bench. Would love to see Pat Ryan coming off the bench too. His direct style of running always puts teams under pressure.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 27/11/2020 23:25:41    2316085

Link

Noticed Dempsy missing from panel, I am assuming he is injured and I'm hoping it's not serious, anyone have the story?

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 28/11/2020 01:03:33    2316092

Link

Replying To jimbob50:  "Noticed Dempsy missing from panel, I am assuming he is injured and I'm hoping it's not serious, anyone have the story?"
Pulled hamstring last Sunday in training

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 495 - 28/11/2020 08:53:33    2316102

Link

Replying To jimbob50:  "Noticed Dempsy missing from panel, I am assuming he is injured and I'm hoping it's not serious, anyone have the story?"
David Dempsy got injured last Sunday. Interesting to see Aaron Costelloe back in. I assume he was injured? Can anyone from the deep South enlighten us. Also what's the word on Tom Condon?

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 28/11/2020 09:10:49    2316103

Link

Yeah Kiely said during the week he picked up a knock and was doubtful for the weekend

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 28/11/2020 09:35:51    2316109

Link

Thanks lads, that's a pity I was hoping to see more of dempsy this season.
Glad to see flannagan starting take some pressure off gillane for high ball options. We have a great panel but Sunday will be a great test. Quietly confident.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 28/11/2020 14:18:05    2316159

Link

Expecting a huge Limerick performance on Sunday as they've been waiting 16 months to get back here. I think for this Limerick team their championship is only starting tomorrow and we're going to see Limerick at their best. No disrespect to Galway but I think we're going to win this by 6/7 points. C'mon Limerick.

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 437 - 28/11/2020 16:32:47    2316193

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "David Dempsy got injured last Sunday. Interesting to see Aaron Costelloe back in. I assume he was injured? Can anyone from the deep South enlighten us. Also what's the word on Tom Condon?"
Kiely said in an interview he got a knock just before the season and was going really well before that.

Possibly would have started with Barry at hb.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 28/11/2020 17:49:34    2316207

Link

Really looking fwd to the game tomorrow,best of luck to Limerick.This team has brought us a lot of joy so far,hoping for more tomorrow.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 28/11/2020 22:15:41    2316331

Link

Oh how I wish I was on my way to Dublin to shout my lungs out in support of this super bunch from limerick..best of luck to all today.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1153 - 29/11/2020 12:22:49    2316434

Link

Strange game last night. Was Kilkenny's third game where they were very hot then very cold. Infact you could say the same about their semi final and final in 2019. Waterford seemed to have endorsed the running game even more since the Clare win and the Munster final defeat. They had some fantastic second half displays. I would have taken Austin off at half time for his wayward shooting. However, he was super in the second half. But only when Stephen Bennet took the game by the scruff. So my latest conclusion about Austin is he is great when Waterford are on the front foot.

Should we prevail this afternoon, and I expect we will, I couldn't see them slicing through our defence like that. Kyle and Co would have something to say about that. They wouldn't get that amount of possession in the first place.

Looking forward to game today. Galway will definitely run us close but I'm confident that the hurt of last year will light the fire in the boys to get that high intensity quickly.

Luimneach Abu

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 29/11/2020 12:32:03    2316441

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "Strange game last night. Was Kilkenny's third game where they were very hot then very cold. Infact you could say the same about their semi final and final in 2019. Waterford seemed to have endorsed the running game even more since the Clare win and the Munster final defeat. They had some fantastic second half displays. I would have taken Austin off at half time for his wayward shooting. However, he was super in the second half. But only when Stephen Bennet took the game by the scruff. So my latest conclusion about Austin is he is great when Waterford are on the front foot.

Should we prevail this afternoon, and I expect we will, I couldn't see them slicing through our defence like that. Kyle and Co would have something to say about that. They wouldn't get that amount of possession in the first place.

Looking forward to game today. Galway will definitely run us close but I'm confident that the hurt of last year will light the fire in the boys to get that high intensity quickly.

Luimneach Abu"
I think today's game will be a cracker. I feel calmer since the team was named. Think there'll be more support up front with Flanagan and Lynch in the half forwards if that's where he'll stay.
Waterford have definitely improved even since the Munster final. A bit like the Limerick game, came out like men posessed after half time. The biggest thing I can't get over I'd there energy married with Cahill's enthusiasm. Hopefully we'll get the chance to talk tactics against them if we manage to get over the line today. I'm going to go with Limerick by 5

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 29/11/2020 15:16:42    2316498

Link

Whats up with the camera work lads? Tried RTE and Sky..both are same so Croke Park must be doing it themselves...Its either from the top of the stand or too close to the players. Or flicking between the two.

Cmonlimerick (Limerick) - Posts: 15 - 29/11/2020 16:58:08    2316532

Link