Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Great stuff today you can't fault that team serious quality Lynch and O Fonoghue back to their best I never saw that Tipp half back line dominated like that Finn had a great game also

Limdreamer (Limerick) - Posts: 84 - 01/11/2020 17:46:15    2303969

Link

Super result for limerick..I still think there is more in that team..changes made by kiely world a treat..think ref definitely played a part on keeping tipp in the game..a goal that even Stevie wonder would have seen the ball was picked off the ground in build up..hego very lucky not to see red after picking up cheap yellow but Ronan Maher should have gone to for his elbow use again on peter Casey just like last year..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1154 - 01/11/2020 17:55:55    2303981

Link

Super performance by the lads today very impressive unreal workrate all round de pitch which led to numerous turnovers and scores.gillane lynch and wod standout performers.interestin with kyle wing back and lynch at 11.ref will b waitin a while for next match as for dat carlow lines who didnt see noel mcgrath pickin de sliothar of de ground enuf said limerick bench again v impressive when they were unleashed roll on 2 weeks time

limerick16 (Limerick) - Posts: 5 - 01/11/2020 18:25:21    2304002

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "Super result for limerick..I still think there is more in that team..changes made by kiely world a treat..think ref definitely played a part on keeping tipp in the game..a goal that even Stevie wonder would have seen the ball was picked off the ground in build up..hego very lucky not to see red after picking up cheap yellow but Ronan Maher should have gone to for his elbow use again on peter Casey just like last year.."
McGrath got away with picking off the ground like hegarty got away with over carrying before been fouled for the penalty, o'donoghue should have a got straight red for his 1 hand pull for the 2nd half throw in

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2797 - 01/11/2020 18:29:58    2304008

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "Super result for limerick..I still think there is more in that team..changes made by kiely world a treat..think ref definitely played a part on keeping tipp in the game..a goal that even Stevie wonder would have seen the ball was picked off the ground in build up..hego very lucky not to see red after picking up cheap yellow but Ronan Maher should have gone to for his elbow use again on peter Casey just like last year.."
those rough shoulders are definitely a practised Tipp thing. You see a lot more of those full force tackles to the chest with them than anyone else

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 1113 - 01/11/2020 18:33:14    2304011

Link

Well done Limerick great performance in that weather. A big improvement I thought in our full back line bar the first goal and Barry Nash gave away a few silly fouls at the start but conditions played a part in that too. Dan Morrissey answered a few doubters he did alright full back i felt. Diarmuid Byrnes has improved alot since the league and is more accurate in his shooting. Will O'Donaghue I was very impressed with winning dirty ball in the middle and contributing 2 points of his own and of course Hegarty put in another huge performance. Gillane played very well but he also missed 2 score-able frees and a goal chance, please don't pick me up wrong but that is the difference between Gillane and the likes of Tj Reid, Pat Horgan or Joe Canning they put those chances away, Gillane is very capable of getting to their level because he is brilliant to win his own ball, has a bit of pace and has the skill and the touch but he can miss a chance when it comes, I know I'm nit-picking but a guy with Gillane's ability should be looking to be 1 of the top forwards in the country. Seamus Flanagan and Pat Ryan put down markers when they introduced I think Flanagan especially could be putting pressure on Greame Mulcahy or Peter Casey for a starting spot.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 791 - 01/11/2020 18:58:36    2304019

Link

Mighty result today. The half backline were superb. Just when I thought Byrnes should finally stop long range frees he came up with the goods today in a big way. Thought
in general play was excellent toomuch better than last week.
Thank god Hegarty didn't get sent off.
Key moments were :
1 the immediate response by Gillane after the Tipp goal.
2 The drive on ahead of the half time break.
( The penalty in the second half was lucky with the number of steps but that was cancelled out by the obvious pick up off the ground). 3 The points by Reidy and Flanagan straight after the Tipp second half goal.

Tipp took a big gamble playing into the wind especially as they had no game last week. Gave us licence to build up a big lead.
Byrnes, Lynch, Tom, Hegarty and Gillane were superb

If we lost to Tipp in a regular Munster championship game I would be confident we could learn from the loss and have a good shot in the back door. This year the back door is not the way to go. People are assuming Tipp will get back potentially to the final and they may well and if they do it's credit to them, however this year if they make it even to the semi it will be at least their 3rd game in a row if not their 5th if they have to play next week too. That is a monstrous task.
Conversely, we have a Munster final in two weeks which gives time to the likes of Hegarty and O'Donovan rest those injuries.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 01/11/2020 18:59:03    2304021

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "McGrath got away with picking off the ground like hegarty got away with over carrying before been fouled for the penalty, o'donoghue should have a got straight red for his 1 hand pull for the 2nd half throw in"
Have you any comment to make on Ronan Mahers challenge on Mulcahy out on the wing?

Limerick2018 (Limerick) - Posts: 8 - 01/11/2020 19:04:54    2304027

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "McGrath got away with picking off the ground like hegarty got away with over carrying before been fouled for the penalty, o'donoghue should have a got straight red for his 1 hand pull for the 2nd half throw in"
Hegarty took 1 step too many but your neighbours in Kilkenny through Fennelly usually hit double digits. And you ll have to explain to me the correlation between picking a ball off tbe ground then throwing it with taking too many steps. O Donoghue was lucky but then youve to play on tbe edge against Tipperary to keep them nervous. I hope ye get Tipperary and beat them because Tipperary are always dangerous. Best of luck in tbe qualifiers, ye can only improve Wexico...only improve.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 01/11/2020 19:08:18    2304029

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Well done Limerick great performance in that weather. A big improvement I thought in our full back line bar the first goal and Barry Nash gave away a few silly fouls at the start but conditions played a part in that too. Dan Morrissey answered a few doubters he did alright full back i felt. Diarmuid Byrnes has improved alot since the league and is more accurate in his shooting. Will O'Donaghue I was very impressed with winning dirty ball in the middle and contributing 2 points of his own and of course Hegarty put in another huge performance. Gillane played very well but he also missed 2 score-able frees and a goal chance, please don't pick me up wrong but that is the difference between Gillane and the likes of Tj Reid, Pat Horgan or Joe Canning they put those chances away, Gillane is very capable of getting to their level because he is brilliant to win his own ball, has a bit of pace and has the skill and the touch but he can miss a chance when it comes, I know I'm nit-picking but a guy with Gillane's ability should be looking to be 1 of the top forwards in the country. Seamus Flanagan and Pat Ryan put down markers when they introduced I think Flanagan especially could be putting pressure on Greame Mulcahy or Peter Casey for a starting spot."
I agree with all that. Lots of good performances. WODS tackling technique is poor. He had a very good game but gave away 4 scored frees and could have saw the line..his loose hand slapping is pulled all the time. Nash will be found out.. hes no corner back. 3 poor tackles,swiping for the ball. Finn would want to take him on some 1 on 1 sessions. Cian Lynch was fantastic as was Hegarty as was Byrnes whom I always criticise

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 01/11/2020 19:11:40    2304032

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Well done Limerick great performance in that weather. A big improvement I thought in our full back line bar the first goal and Barry Nash gave away a few silly fouls at the start but conditions played a part in that too. Dan Morrissey answered a few doubters he did alright full back i felt. Diarmuid Byrnes has improved alot since the league and is more accurate in his shooting. Will O'Donaghue I was very impressed with winning dirty ball in the middle and contributing 2 points of his own and of course Hegarty put in another huge performance. Gillane played very well but he also missed 2 score-able frees and a goal chance, please don't pick me up wrong but that is the difference between Gillane and the likes of Tj Reid, Pat Horgan or Joe Canning they put those chances away, Gillane is very capable of getting to their level because he is brilliant to win his own ball, has a bit of pace and has the skill and the touch but he can miss a chance when it comes, I know I'm nit-picking but a guy with Gillane's ability should be looking to be 1 of the top forwards in the country. Seamus Flanagan and Pat Ryan put down markers when they introduced I think Flanagan especially could be putting pressure on Greame Mulcahy or Peter Casey for a starting spot."
I agree with all that. Lots of good performances. WODS tackling technique is poor. He had a very good game but gave away 4 scored frees and could have saw the line..his loose hand slapping is pulled all the time. Nash will be found out.. hes no corner back. 3 poor tackles,swiping for the ball. Finn would want to take him on some 1 on 1 sessions. Cian Lynch was fantastic as was Hegarty as was Byrnes whom I always criticise

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 01/11/2020 19:20:08    2304037

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Mighty result today. The half backline were superb. Just when I thought Byrnes should finally stop long range frees he came up with the goods today in a big way. Thought
in general play was excellent toomuch better than last week.
Thank god Hegarty didn't get sent off.
Key moments were :
1 the immediate response by Gillane after the Tipp goal.
2 The drive on ahead of the half time break.
( The penalty in the second half was lucky with the number of steps but that was cancelled out by the obvious pick up off the ground). 3 The points by Reidy and Flanagan straight after the Tipp second half goal.

Tipp took a big gamble playing into the wind especially as they had no game last week. Gave us licence to build up a big lead.
Byrnes, Lynch, Tom, Hegarty and Gillane were superb

If we lost to Tipp in a regular Munster championship game I would be confident we could learn from the loss and have a good shot in the back door. This year the back door is not the way to go. People are assuming Tipp will get back potentially to the final and they may well and if they do it's credit to them, however this year if they make it even to the semi it will be at least their 3rd game in a row if not their 5th if they have to play next week too. That is a monstrous task.
Conversely, we have a Munster final in two weeks which gives time to the likes of Hegarty and O'Donovan rest those injuries."
Exactly mads

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1090 - 01/11/2020 19:44:12    2304050

Link

First of all congratulations to both the limerick hurling and football teams this weekend, great results.

Well done to both limerick and Tipp for giving us such an open and exciting game in atrocious conditions.
As always a fair share of controversy, should W o D have got red for the one armed swing which hit mcgrath? I don't think so, he was at the time being wrestled by a tipp player who had his other arm wrapped up and I don't believe he intentionally targeted mcgraths face, a yellow was fair.
The ball clearly picked of the ground and not picked up by the ref or linesman which led to tipps second goal was a disgrace, it could have changed the game completely inTipps favour, as it turned out it seemed to fire limerick more.

OK rant here. Poor officials cost us last year again v Kilkenny the 65 that never was,
These modern players on all teams that train so hard and give up so much precious time to represent their county deserve better, I appreciate its a very very difficult job and it can be difficult to spot everything but in this day and age of technology there is no reason a video ref can't be used if the ref has any doubt, if its OK to use hawkeye to check for one point surely its fair to check a controversial goal decision?
I thought cian lynch was a power house, all the limerick players worked so hard it really was a team performance and the subs all made a positive impact, lynch at CF was a great stroke.
Another munster final to look forward to and at least there's not such a gap after this one to a semi final should we win it. Certainly not a forgone conclusion, Waterford look a lot better now than they have been since we beat them in the league final last.

Again well done limerick exciting times ahead.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 01/11/2020 20:04:21    2304065

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Hegarty took 1 step too many but your neighbours in Kilkenny through Fennelly usually hit double digits. And you ll have to explain to me the correlation between picking a ball off tbe ground then throwing it with taking too many steps. O Donoghue was lucky but then youve to play on tbe edge against Tipperary to keep them nervous. I hope ye get Tipperary and beat them because Tipperary are always dangerous. Best of luck in tbe qualifiers, ye can only improve Wexico...only improve."
The correlation is pretty simple both should have been frees out, fennelly stuff is well flagged but 2 wrongs don't make a right. On the O'Donoghue incident there is a big difference between on the edge and plain reckless I'll leave it at that.

Ye were outstanding today I think Hegarty and Morrissey really make ye tick, ye looked like a team hurling on the dry November day while tipp looked like a team hurling in a downpour, best compliment I can give ye. Yeah we've a mountain of improvement to do weather its tipp,cork or clare we get time for us to man up simple as that.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2797 - 01/11/2020 20:10:50    2304070

Link

Replying To Limerick2018:  "Have you any comment to make on Ronan Mahers challenge on Mulcahy out on the wing?"
What minute did it happen roughly? Might check on the RTE player, genuinely don't remember the incident not trying to take the p*ss or anything

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2797 - 01/11/2020 20:12:26    2304072

Link

His shooting is not quite on par with Horgan or maybe TJ Reid but as a target to hit and win possession when the ball is played his way he stands head and shoulders over any forward currently. Gave a masterclass today in atrocious conditions

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 191 - 01/11/2020 20:13:13    2304074

Link

I posted about mahers challenge,it was on
Peter Casey..it was a shoulder/elbow in again,designed to cause damage..he did same in Munster final last year..he had the cheek today then to throw himself down because he knew a red was a very strong possibility.. think wod was probably unlucky because most players would pull in the same way..he was being pulled back at the time..hego was loose with a challenge on McGrath but my god he went down like a sack of spuds.. I also say that if Sean Finn picks up an injury we are in really serious trouble..looking forward to munster final,most of the limerick players have beaten the Waterford boys at all age groups..they might be different with Cahill as he is a winner and tipp might be sorry they left him go..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1154 - 01/11/2020 20:47:03    2304105

Link

Great performance today. Could we see Richie English start against Waterford? Would be a massive addition if he is ready

sidelineview08 (Limerick) - Posts: 75 - 01/11/2020 20:57:21    2304112

Link

Gillane is 7/8 years younger than those 3 you mentioned. When he gets more experience he'll get better and more efficient. I agree about Flanagan and think in winter his workrate and size might be more suitable than the smaller forwards. We have a 2 week break now and lads have a chance to recover and Ritchie English has another 2 weeks as well. Waterford will be young and full of running and Cahill has them working very hard for each other so they will be a test.

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 437 - 01/11/2020 21:06:55    2304120

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Hegarty took 1 step too many but your neighbours in Kilkenny through Fennelly usually hit double digits. And you ll have to explain to me the correlation between picking a ball off tbe ground then throwing it with taking too many steps. O Donoghue was lucky but then youve to play on tbe edge against Tipperary to keep them nervous. I hope ye get Tipperary and beat them because Tipperary are always dangerous. Best of luck in tbe qualifiers, ye can only improve Wexico...only improve."
Hegarty was fouled 3 times in that run on goal the 3rd foul happened after the extra step so at worse it was an ordinary free in.

Clubgaa (Limerick) - Posts: 835 - 01/11/2020 21:21:09    2304127

Link