Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Westfester:  "I would have thought it is much more impressive for a player to play as good as TK did for a team with so much less possession than their opponents. GH was outstanding and was Limerick' best player but Kelly's display was exceptional"
Thank you for your comments thought I doubt that getting man of man would worry either player nut you would have to agree with you Tony had to do most off hard work himself Gearoid works with a vert different Limerick Team.

It has taken a while for GH to get the acclaim that he deserves but he is right up there now Morrissey also serious forward.

I suppose its nick picking but Clare did score 1.23 and Limerick got no goal chance as such Tipp with Paudie Maher leading the line wont stand off next week it will be a real test of both teams.

Limerick are in a very good place right now but you have to give AI performances every day to have any chance of AI

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 593 - 28/10/2020 10:40:17    2302371

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Yes, I think some people tend to underrate him as a football convert (hurling actually always was by far his favorite sport), who is a big target man and an athlete but boy can he hurl. Completely 2 sided, his striking is as good as anyone's, they look so wristy and effortless. Also for a big man, he has a beautiful touch with low balls on the ground and he pulls off flicks as good as lynch at times!"
I think Hegarty is an amazing specimen as a hurler. Apart from the semi against KK last year (when everything he touched just broke wrong), I thought he was our best player over the course of the entire year. He destroyed Tipp in the Munster final. At times, the only way to stop him is to literally rugby tackle him. He's not a Tony Kelly style hurler who breaks onto a ball and flashes a score. He is a wrecking ball. If you're playing Limerick, the first matchup you have to decide is as to who marks Gillane and the second is whose going to pickup Hegarty. Cork tried Downes on him a few times with moderate success but everyone else has floundered. And I'd agree that it's not just the height and power which are overwhelming. His ball skills are ridiculous.

Next week's a massive step up for Limerick. I assume that Tipp are primed for the game and will have all types of plans to destroy our full back line. That match up between Callinan and Morrissey is crucial.

I'd imagine that the first 15 minutes will be crucial for Tipp. If they aren't able to penetrate our full backline and get the scoreboard turning early - they could be in trouble against us. It's entirely possible that Tipp will come out like a whirlwind against us but I wouldn't entirely rule out an ageing Tipp side folding against a Limerick team that's now in it's physical prime.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 28/10/2020 10:59:48    2302382

Link

Replying To skillet:  "Lose against Tipp and we're in the same boat as Clare.
Into the Qualifiers against Leinster teams, lose there and we're gone."
the losers on Sunday are not in the same boat as Clare as far as I know. 1st round losers are defo in 1st qualifier round but not all semi final loosers are in the 1st round of qualifiers, a draw will be made to see which beaten semifinalists are in round 1.

Clubgaa (Limerick) - Posts: 835 - 28/10/2020 13:35:07    2302476

Link

One thing is for certain. If we win it'll be because crafty Sheedy is looking further ahead and not concerned with silly things like Munster but if we lose its because we are overhyped and bottled it

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 1113 - 28/10/2020 14:52:07    2302508

Link

Replying To Breezy:  "One thing is for certain. If we win it'll be because crafty Sheedy is looking further ahead and not concerned with silly things like Munster but if we lose its because we are overhyped and bottled it"
Don't understand that, winning Munster has never been more advantageous as this year. Win Munster and you're straight into a semi final which this year is on 2 weeks afterwards. Lose next week or in the Munster final and your into the back door system which is almost like a match every weekend until you drop. Tipp certainly will be all guns blazing to win next week, and so should we

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 28/10/2020 23:00:26    2302694

Link

Replying To Westfester:  "I would have thought it is much more impressive for a player to play as good as TK did for a team with so much less possession than their opponents. GH was outstanding and was Limerick' best player but Kelly's display was exceptional"
Yeah.. fair point actually.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 29/10/2020 04:58:53    2302711

Link

Hard to imagine we will have another team announcement tomorrow night! Anyone expect any changes?

Any update on Tom Condon or Aaron Costelloe? I think if either of these lads are fully fit we could see them start on the FB line.

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 29/10/2020 08:21:22    2302720

Link

Best of luck to Limerick on Sunday, both full forward lines look to have an advantage for the respective full back lines. Playing Daragh wing back is a good call. Flanagan at full forward I think would have given us an even bigger advantage as Tipp would have to reshape that defence if he was there. The 3 Mahers against the Limerick half forwards is going to be brilliant and probably also the deciding factor here. Limerick by 3 or 4 hopefully.

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 437 - 30/10/2020 21:35:16    2303194

Link

Just 1 change for Sunday. Darragh O' Donovan starts for Paddy O' Loughlin.

hamstring (Limerick) - Posts: 314 - 30/10/2020 21:49:09    2303197

Link

I can see Donovan at midfield and donohue dropping back..not sure if tipp will have an all Maher line,Heffernan might end up out there..really looking forward to this one,think it'll be no where for anyone who is half hearted..hope the new ref on the block won't have a major say in what happens..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1154 - 30/10/2020 23:04:38    2303216

Link

Just put this up for comparison reasons with last years Munster final teams and scorers etc.

Scorers for Limerick: Peter Casey 1-5, Kyle Hayes 1-2, Tom Morrissey and Aaron Gillane (3fs) 0-4 each, Gearoid Hegarty and Diarmuid Byrnes (3fs) 0-3 each, Cian Lynch and Graeme Mulcahy 0-2 each, Barry Nash 0-1.

Scorers for Tipperary: Jason Forde 0-6 (3fs), Seamus Callanan 1-1, John McGrath 1-0, Ronan Maher 0-2, Dan McCormack, John O'Dwyer, Jake Morris, Jerome Cahill, and Noel McGrath (f) 0-1 each.

LIMERICK: Nickie Quaid; Sean Finn, Mike Casey, Richie English; Diarmuid Byrnes, Declan Hannon, Dan Morrissey; Cian Lynch, William O'Donoghue; Gearoid Hegarty, Kyle Hayes, Tom Morrissey; Graeme Mulcahy, Aaron Gillane, Peter Casey.
Subs: Shane Dowling for Hegarty (63), Darragh O'Donovan for O'Donoghue (63), Seamus Flanagan for Casey (66), Barry Nash for Hannon (70), David Reidy for T Morrissey (70+1).

TIPPERARY: Brian Hogan; James Barry, Brendan Maher Sean O'Brien; Seamus Kennedy, Padraic Maher, Ronan Maher; Michael Breen, Noel McGrath; Jason Forde, John O'Dwyer, Dan McCormack; John McGrath, Seamus Callanan, Jake Morris.
Subs: Niall O'Meara for Breen (HT), Robert Byrne for N McGrath (54), Jerome Cahill for O'Dwyer (61), Barry Heffernan for Barry (62), Mark Kehoe for J McGrath (65).

REFEREE: Paud O'Dwyer (Carlow).

Sundays Teams.

Limerick (Munster SHC v Tipperary): Nickie Quaid; Sean Finn, Dan Morrissey, Barry Nash; Diarmaid Byrnes, Declan Hannon, Darragh O'Donovan; Cian Lynch, William O'Donoghue; Gearoid Hegarty, Kyle Hayes, Tom Morrissey; Graeme Mulcahy, Aaron Gillane, Peter Casey.

Subs: Barry Hennessy, Jerome Boylan, Adrian Breen, Ronan Connolly, David Dempsey, Seamus Flanagan, Robbie Hanley, Paddy O'Loughlin, Brian O'Grady, David Reidy, Pat Ryan

Tipperary (Munster SHC v Limerick): Brian Hogan; Cathal Barrett, Barry Heffernan, Sean O'Brien; Ronan Maher, Brendan Maher, Padraic Maher; Noel McGrath, Alan Flynn; Mark Kehoe, Jason Forde, Niall O'Meara; John McGrath, Seamus Callanan, Jake Morris

Limerick team same midfield and six forwards,lots of changes positional and personnel on Tip team.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 640 - 31/10/2020 00:22:02    2303225

Link

Big ask of Dan and Barry on the FB line against very experienced class tip forwards, we really need the lads to keep the tipp goal tally to a minimum, yes I know that's obvious but won't be easy Tipp and KK forwards have always been more goal focused than Limerick teams over the years, I do think last Sundays game will stand to them.
I would prefer flannagan or dempsy to start before Peter in this game for an extra high ball option especially given the weather prediction sounds like pretty passing hurling might not be an option this weekend, I hope Peter scores goals and I have to eat a shed load of humble pie.
As always this should be a cracker, strange not being at the games, but so glad they are giving us something to cheer for the year that's in it. Best of luck lads and also to the footballers. Congratulations on promotion.
Luimneach abu

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 31/10/2020 00:46:10    2303227

Link

Thought there would be some change to the back 6 alright..
Due to injuries it's probably the only possible one.
It will be interesting to see how DOD gets on at half back.
Before his injury, he was in great form. Hopefully Morrissey and Nash would have learned an awful lot from the last day. They will be tested to the maximum tomorrow.

Up front it's chalk and cheese option wise.
I think I'd prefer Casey or Mulcahy on the bench instead of starting. Would make a serious impact if coming off the bench. I do think Flanagan as he's such a workhorse give balance to that line and is a great link up player.
Brilliant to see Dempsey back into the squad too. Probably the only person you'd call a natural goal scorer. So he could be the man to call up on if in trouble. I'm really disappointed it came at the expense of Conor Boylan. In the weather conditions that are there he's a serious ball winner and a decent finisher.
Again though it's what's seen in the training ground that matters. Best of luck boys, hopefully we make max use of the game in hand

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 31/10/2020 08:08:56    2303240

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Thought there would be some change to the back 6 alright..
Due to injuries it's probably the only possible one.
It will be interesting to see how DOD gets on at half back.
Before his injury, he was in great form. Hopefully Morrissey and Nash would have learned an awful lot from the last day. They will be tested to the maximum tomorrow.

Up front it's chalk and cheese option wise.
I think I'd prefer Casey or Mulcahy on the bench instead of starting. Would make a serious impact if coming off the bench. I do think Flanagan as he's such a workhorse give balance to that line and is a great link up player.
Brilliant to see Dempsey back into the squad too. Probably the only person you'd call a natural goal scorer. So he could be the man to call up on if in trouble. I'm really disappointed it came at the expense of Conor Boylan. In the weather conditions that are there he's a serious ball winner and a decent finisher.
Again though it's what's seen in the training ground that matters. Best of luck boys, hopefully we make max use of the game in hand"
Mulcahy has been our best forward last three years, Flanagan hopefully will come good again but you couldn't drop either of the two lads for him, Dempsey is probably one of the best club players around but doesn't seem to click at county level which is a pity cause he is excellent for na piarsaigh, Boylan, who would you drop for him. Anyway Kiely knows better than us.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 528 - 31/10/2020 11:37:46    2303276

Link

Replying To cityman73:  "Mulcahy has been our best forward last three years, Flanagan hopefully will come good again but you couldn't drop either of the two lads for him, Dempsey is probably one of the best club players around but doesn't seem to click at county level which is a pity cause he is excellent for na piarsaigh, Boylan, who would you drop for him. Anyway Kiely knows better than us."
Aside from Nap form, Dempsey has some very good games for Limerick in the league earlier in the year.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 31/10/2020 11:59:48    2303284

Link

Replying To jimbob50:  "Big ask of Dan and Barry on the FB line against very experienced class tip forwards, we really need the lads to keep the tipp goal tally to a minimum, yes I know that's obvious but won't be easy Tipp and KK forwards have always been more goal focused than Limerick teams over the years, I do think last Sundays game will stand to them.
I would prefer flannagan or dempsy to start before Peter in this game for an extra high ball option especially given the weather prediction sounds like pretty passing hurling might not be an option this weekend, I hope Peter scores goals and I have to eat a shed load of humble pie.
As always this should be a cracker, strange not being at the games, but so glad they are giving us something to cheer for the year that's in it. Best of luck lads and also to the footballers. Congratulations on promotion.
Luimneach abu"
Peter is actually pretty good in the air for his size. Anyway, a corner forward shouldn't need to be tall if the ball in is good and it usually is. I get the horses for courses thing but, the way I see it, he is a better player than Flanagan and Dempsey so he starts.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 31/10/2020 12:04:02    2303286

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Aside from Nap form, Dempsey has some very good games for Limerick in the league earlier in the year."
League is league, championship is a different animal, think he is a fabulous player but not built for limerick at the moment, na piarsaigh are the best club side in the country but only have two starters, we are lucky to have so much talent spread around the county, who would you drop for him.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 528 - 31/10/2020 12:29:08    2303296

Link

Replying To cityman73:  "League is league, championship is a different animal, think he is a fabulous player but not built for limerick at the moment, na piarsaigh are the best club side in the country but only have two starters, we are lucky to have so much talent spread around the county, who would you drop for him."
The league is the league but I'm not sure what else he could do other than play well in the league and for Nap. Fair enough we don't see training.

I wouldn't drop anyone as I wouldn't start Dempsey but I definitely think he's an exciting bench option and wouldn't write him off at county level.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 01/11/2020 05:04:57    2303678

Link

Go back on a post I mentioned ref during the week..he is ruining the match could be a classic..to whistle happy..players have to be very careful now specially gearoid who is on a yellow..if we avoid conceding early goal after restart,think we will score against the wind..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1154 - 01/11/2020 16:45:39    2303923

Link

Go back on a post I mentioned ref during the week..he is ruining the match could be a classic..to whistle happy..players have to be very careful now specially gearoid who is on a yellow..if we avoid conceding early goal after restart,think we will score against the wind..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1154 - 01/11/2020 16:45:57    2303925

Link