Fermanagh Forum

McKenna Cup 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I agree yesterdays man it is only the mckenna cup. However you do realise those uni students are actually quite good footballers. I know uuj had 11 county players, st marys and queens both fielded a number of county players. A sigerson game is almost an intercounty game these days.

You do realise Fermanagh weren't at full strength in any game this competition? I believe Donegal also started a number of all stars last night too.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 14/01/2016 14:21:15    1816611

Link

I see our Roslea player and Fermanagh defender Niall Cassidy says he and his team mates are relishing the chance to try and upset Tyrone in Sunday's Dr McKenna Cup semi-final in Clones. I hope they give a good account of themselves and I believe they will.

On the subject of press or media reports and previews, I really like is the more recent spread of players speaking to the media rather than one or two getting all the attention in previous seasons. You would have thought they were the only ones of importance on the team. So fair play to Pete McGrath for managing in a more fairer way the voice of the team rather than a focus on a North Fermanagh element.

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 390 - 15/01/2016 11:11:48    1816806

Link

Any predictions macca999? You have remained fairly quiet during the Mckenna cup! McGrath seems confident of a good outing and I hope to see plenty of greemn and white support there at Clones this afternoon!

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 760 - 17/01/2016 11:19:37    1817098

Link

The result says it all Tyrone(1-13)v(0-9)Fermanagh!

If this outcome is mirrored often in the National league division 2, then it;s bye bye Fermanagh and back to grassroots again and looking a new manager!

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 17/01/2016 18:42:54    1817201

Link

yesterdays Man....save your breath,dont think anyone takes much heed of your unfounded comments.

As most though,facing Tyrone was a step up from the previous 43 games,though overall I would say McGrath and his team will be pleased enough with what they have learned so far,with some players showing well such as Ciaran Flaherty and Barry Mulrone, while Paddy Mc Govern at corner back has did okay so far. From todays game,was clear when Donnelly went off that Fermanagh would struggle in the midfield sector as he is hugely influential,especially in the absence of Ryan Jones and Richard O Callaghan. Be a case now of cutting the squad down before the start of a tough division 2 campaign and getting players fit and ready for Derry in 2 weeks

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 901 - 17/01/2016 20:29:33    1817244

Link

Hi macca, welcome back to intercounty football as your tandem seemed to make those few miles to Clones today. I agree that the lost of Donnelly at midfield severely affected Fermanagh in the second half. I don't know what others think but the referee spoiled the game somewhat with his extravagant use of yellow cards many indeed uncalled for and seemed to unfairly disadvantage Fermanagh in particular. A good first half for the boys in green and white but when Harte brought in the heavies in the second half the writing was on the wall. Fermanagh had lots of opportunities to score in the first half but were unable to succeed mainly due to the over reaction of the referee card usage and some dirty play occasionally by Tyrone which bore all the hallmarks of their yesteryear tactics. I was particularly impressed by Donnelly, Mulrone, Flatherty and the new boy McGovern. I feel Fermanagh is now more confident of tackling the league and I think they will see their first victory in their opening game with Derry.

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 960 - 17/01/2016 21:24:27    1817264

Link