Quarter Finals
A. 3rd place team from Group 1 v 2nd place team from Group 2
B 4th place team from Group 1 v Winners of Group 2

Semi finals
C. 2nd place team from Group 1 v A
D. Winners of Group 1 v B

Final
E. Winner of C v Winner of D

Junior 2 Football Championship 2021 (with full championship status)
Caulry
Coralstown/Kinnegad or Killucan
Delvin
Loughnavalley
Moate All Whites
Multyfarnham
Shandonagh

Semi final
Winner of 2nd place team v 3rd place team

Final
Group Winner v Semi Final Winner

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 16/01/2021 13:59:48    2327701

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Junior 1 Football Championship 2021

Group 1 Group 2
Athlone Ballycomoyle
Ballinagore Castletown Finea/Coole/Whitehall
Bunbrosna Coralstown/Kinnegad or Killucan
The Downs Mullingar Shamrocks
Garrycastle St Josephs
St Lomans St Pauls

Quarter Finals

Semi finals

Final

Caulry
Delvin
Loughnavalley
Moate All Whites
Multyfarnham
Shandonagh

Semi final

Final
Group Winner v Semi Final Winner"
Group 1
Athlone
Ballinagore
Bunbrosna
The Downs
Garrycastle
St Lomans

Group 2
Ballycomoyle
Castletown Finea/Coole/Whitehall
Coralstown/Kinnegad & Killucan
Mullingar Shamrocks
St Josephs
St Pauls

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 16/01/2021 14:46:58    2327704

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Group 1
Athlone
Ballinagore
Bunbrosna
The Downs
Garrycastle
St Lomans

Group 2
Ballycomoyle
Castletown Finea/Coole/Whitehall
Coralstown/Kinnegad & Killucan
Mullingar Shamrocks
St Josephs
St Pauls"
Early prediction- The Downs to win junior this year, unlucky to lose out against tubberclair in a semi this year. Lomans Won't be bad either but this Downs junior team always seem to have an edge on Lomans in junior. The downs came in on the tougher side of the draw last year & Lomans came in the opposite side facing little or no challenge until the final.
Bunbrosna coning down last year & with a very ageing squad they'll struggle to come back up.
Ballycoymoyle & C/F/C/W always pose a threat to the front runners & garrycastle will be ok too,

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 16/01/2021 19:02:51    2327741

Link

Agreed, recent underage success to pay off in 2021 and the Downs to go all the way in the Junior (and Senior) this year by beating either Bun or Garrycastle in the final. I see they've 4 adult teams entered into this year Leagues, Division 1, 3, 5 & 6, that's a first for this county.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 17/01/2021 15:58:14    2327817

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Agreed, recent underage success to pay off in 2021 and the Downs to go all the way in the Junior (and Senior) this year by beating either Bun or Garrycastle in the final. I see they've 4 adult teams entered into this year Leagues, Division 1, 3, 5 & 6, that's a first for this county."
Division 4 I think there in not 5 but yeah some going in fairness to be able to enter that many teams into leagues , must be some amount of players out there & saying that all quality players.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 17/01/2021 17:31:23    2327827

Link

Do the Downs get many from the town.

jfd (Westmeath) - Posts: 206 - 17/01/2021 19:28:47    2327848

Link

Replying To jfd:  "Do the Downs get many from the town."
I would say the vast majority of their players are actually from the downs area. I know of a few From hearing of other people that come from the town but would come from the marlinstown area which is probably the same time travelling to say Lomans & the Downs. I would imagine that most of them from town who would play with the downs would have family connections but I don't know.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 17/01/2021 20:01:31    2327851

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Junior 1 Football Championship 2021

Group 1 Group 2
Athlone Ballycomoyle
Ballinagore Castletown Finea/Coole/Whitehall
Bunbrosna Coralstown/Kinnegad or Killucan
The Downs Mullingar Shamrocks
Garrycastle St Josephs
St Lomans St Pauls

Quarter Finals

Semi finals

Final

Caulry
Delvin
Loughnavalley
Moate All Whites
Multyfarnham
Shandonagh

Semi final

Final
Group Winner v Semi Final Winner"
What's the Coralstown Kinnegad or Killucan thing about ?

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 893 - 17/01/2021 22:06:20    2327858

Link

Replying To Westmeath213:  "I would say the vast majority of their players are actually from the downs area. I know of a few From hearing of other people that come from the town but would come from the marlinstown area which is probably the same time travelling to say Lomans & the Downs. I would imagine that most of them from town who would play with the downs would have family connections but I don't know."
They have players from half of North Westmeath several from Delvin

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 877 - 18/01/2021 00:17:24    2327865

Link

Great to see Loughnavalley back fielding a team

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 254 - 18/01/2021 09:51:55    2327877

Link

Killucan Kinnegad is the 2020 junior 2 final yet to be played. Winners go into junior 1.

In relation to Delvin players, some underage footballers have moved in the absence of football in Delvin / St Pauls at some age groups. Most I believe went to Lomans, and the 2 Drumms joined The Downs. But traditionally I believe The Downs rarely get new players in. The town teams normally benefit most.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 18/01/2021 10:18:35    2327882

Link

Will last years junior B be played and does that feed into junior 2 ?

PowellJohn (Westmeath) - Posts: 32 - 18/01/2021 10:27:50    2327885

Link

Replying To PowellJohn:  "Will last years junior B be played and does that feed into junior 2 ?"
It was started but not sure if it got finished. If not I doubt it will be. The junior B is not a proper championship as such and does not influence the A competition.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 18/01/2021 10:39:34    2327886

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Killucan Kinnegad is the 2020 junior 2 final yet to be played. Winners go into junior 1.

In relation to Delvin players, some underage footballers have moved in the absence of football in Delvin / St Pauls at some age groups. Most I believe went to Lomans, and the 2 Drumms joined The Downs. But traditionally I believe The Downs rarely get new players in. The town teams normally benefit most."
Are delvin and st paul's together underage? If so since when?

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 144 - 18/01/2021 11:32:28    2327895

Link

Replying To jobber:  "They have players from half of North Westmeath several from Delvin"
They have the two Drumm's from delvin that's it! So "several " Get your facts straight.
Don't see you criticising Lomans who have players from delvin , milltownpass , Longford , Offaly , Tyrone & more from elsewhere too.!

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 18/01/2021 11:37:32    2327897

Link

Loman's got that Gaffney lad and another player, Gaffney featured for their seniors last year. Those clubs who poach players have loads of players as it is. Jobber is right in one way, The Downs catchmeant area is well beyond The Downs, they have players from the middle of Mullingar with no links to the club.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 188 - 18/01/2021 13:47:54    2327926

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Loman's got that Gaffney lad and another player, Gaffney featured for their seniors last year. Those clubs who poach players have loads of players as it is. Jobber is right in one way, The Downs catchmeant area is well beyond The Downs, they have players from the middle of Mullingar with no links to the club."
Ah lads, first off there is no parish rule in Westmeath, players going everywhere within the county and that's before you even mention amalgamations. Players usually the driver re looking for transfers, especially at underage to be with their friends/classmates etc. There is a scramble every year to grab players for each club at registration and it has got worse every year especially around Mullingar. Shamrocks, Lomans, The Downs, Shandonagh all competing for a limited stock. South Westmeath probable the same. Clubs are judged on their reputations to provide good facilities and if players get games and opportunity. A lot of people these days are not originally from Westmeath so loyalty clubs not a given anymore too.

Convert2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 19 - 18/01/2021 14:13:35    2327930

Link

Replying To Convert2:  "Ah lads, first off there is no parish rule in Westmeath, players going everywhere within the county and that's before you even mention amalgamations. Players usually the driver re looking for transfers, especially at underage to be with their friends/classmates etc. There is a scramble every year to grab players for each club at registration and it has got worse every year especially around Mullingar. Shamrocks, Lomans, The Downs, Shandonagh all competing for a limited stock. South Westmeath probable the same. Clubs are judged on their reputations to provide good facilities and if players get games and opportunity. A lot of people these days are not originally from Westmeath so loyalty clubs not a given anymore too."
Exactly.
I'd hate to be involved in that scramble - it does not seem like much fun. You can really see the ebb and flow over the years. The Downs made a huge push in to the town when they won their two senior championships in mid 00's. Those 6, 7, 8 year olds are in their early 20's now. They took advantage of a position of strength, fair play to them. Looking at results from u15, u13 it seems they are not a strong whereas Shamrocks are drastically improved after a good few poor years where they were mostly division 2.
It's rare to see all 4 being strong at underage at the same time. Although it's rare that Lomans are not competitive at an age group.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 278 - 18/01/2021 15:00:43    2327945

Link

Replying To Westmeath213:  "Division 4 I think there in not 5 but yeah some going in fairness to be able to enter that many teams into leagues , must be some amount of players out there & saying that all quality players."
You are correct, they were promoted from Div 5 in 2019, i think Lomans were also promoted the same year.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 18/01/2021 18:44:48    2327979

Link

Bunbrosna should win out junior. Unlucky to go down last year

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 108 - 18/01/2021 18:47:02    2327980

Link