Monaghan Forum

Monaghan In The Qualifiers!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Anyone know what group we will be in & when is the draw?

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 398 - 20/05/2019 11:48:53    2185857

Link

No, sorry don't know.

Setantawatchl (Cavan) - Posts: 131 - 21/05/2019 05:20:18    2186149

Link

Replying To Monaghan Exile:  "Anyone know what group we will be in & when is the draw?"
Draw is next Monday morning on RTE radio. Did they not get rid of the groups?

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 453 - 21/05/2019 08:18:35    2186157

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Draw is next Monday morning on RTE radio. Did they not get rid of the groups?"
not sure, have a feeling they have

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 398 - 21/05/2019 19:38:17    2186403

Link

Simple 16 all in 8 winners in with 8 semi final losers then two rounds open draws 4 remaining against 4 beaten finalists.

neutral (None) - Posts: 290 - 21/05/2019 20:24:41    2186419

Link

Audrey Carville from Annyalla is presenting Morning Ireland next Monday as she did for all three draws last year. So she's our lucky charm/ someone to blame:-)

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 453 - 21/05/2019 20:44:26    2186428

Link

Surely we have used up our luck the last two years in these draws couldn't have got an easier path to the super 8s last year. Div 4 teams all the way. Down in Newry or Derry in Celtic park likely fermanagh in Brewster the tough ones here rest negotiable even on current form you would think.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 21/05/2019 21:49:44    2186453

Link

Okay lets forget the negativity from Saturday night.
What positive changes would we like to see in the qualifiers??

Personally would like to see McManus on the 40 with Vinnie inside (hasn't the legs for defence) with Hughes (can bring out to Midfield if needed) and McGinn, Bannigan, O'Hanlon in the corner!

Try McCarthy/ McCarron and Malone on the 40 alongside Conor. Lets spice it up a little.
We saw in the Down/Aragh game how the long direct ball is still there and is successful. Seems like we need to get away from the system we play as teams are catching on a little too much.

Get Drew to number 6 as he is not a man marker at corner back but will hold that center and be solid there! Let him attack too with O'Connell and Walsh and Boyle!

Let the shackles off and see what happens. We know we have great quality players who are much better than what we have saw Saturday night.
Malachy still is a brilliant manager and still expect us to get to the super 8s.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 22/05/2019 22:50:46    2186750

Link

Replying To countymonaghan:  "Okay lets forget the negativity from Saturday night.
What positive changes would we like to see in the qualifiers??

Personally would like to see McManus on the 40 with Vinnie inside (hasn't the legs for defence) with Hughes (can bring out to Midfield if needed) and McGinn, Bannigan, O'Hanlon in the corner!

Try McCarthy/ McCarron and Malone on the 40 alongside Conor. Lets spice it up a little.
We saw in the Down/Aragh game how the long direct ball is still there and is successful. Seems like we need to get away from the system we play as teams are catching on a little too much.

Get Drew to number 6 as he is not a man marker at corner back but will hold that center and be solid there! Let him attack too with O'Connell and Walsh and Boyle!

Let the shackles off and see what happens. We know we have great quality players who are much better than what we have saw Saturday night.
Malachy still is a brilliant manager and still expect us to get to the super 8s."
Not sure about Drew being solid after watching him sidestep himself for one of the cavan points at the weekend..

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 739 - 23/05/2019 14:46:34    2186911

Link

Nearly certain to be away from home, as nearly all teams in the draw are Div 3 & 4 teams. I reckon only ourselves & Fermanagh will be the only reps from Div 1 & 2........ Derry/ Down wolud be really tough & gaurenteed away!

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 398 - 23/05/2019 18:50:10    2186972

Link

Replying To Monaghan Exile:  "Nearly certain to be away from home, as nearly all teams in the draw are Div 3 & 4 teams. I reckon only ourselves & Fermanagh will be the only reps from Div 1 & 2........ Derry/ Down wolud be really tough & gaurenteed away!"
Would be nice to get Mayo in clones.

Any thoughts?

Most would like to get antrim!

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 491 - 25/05/2019 23:36:34    2187443

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "Would be nice to get Mayo in clones.

Any thoughts?

Most would like to get antrim!"
Cannot get mayo in the first draw which is a pity.

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 491 - 26/05/2019 08:04:34    2187489

Link

Any thoughts?

I think mayo will be in the 2nd round of qualifiers!

blueman1903 (Cavan) - Posts: 732 - 26/05/2019 08:40:49    2187495

Link

Any thoughts?

Mayo are a losing semi finalist, we are stuck in with the dregs who lost in first round so we can't play Mayo until the following draw, if we get there. If we do get over the first round of the qualifiers, Mayo and the losers of Tyrone v Donegal (assuming Donegal aren't as careless as us v Fermanagh) will be the teams to avoid. Just one point, and I know I'm way ahead of myself here but at some stage we would be pitted against a losing provincial finalist - that's not looking like the most formidable list of potential opponents.
Back to tomorrows draw; it's all about getting a win with the minimal of fuss. It's 4 games in 5 weeks so what we don't need is a battle In that regard, an Ulster team is not what we want. I can't remember our last Championship win v Derry never mind in Celtic Park and I think the OakLeafers could be the gutsy qualifier underdog who has a good run. Down would be a narrow victory at best and Fermanagh and Antrim while both very beatable would need us to put in a shift, especially Antrim who while losing heavily to Tyrone seemed to emerge with credit.Offaly will take great heart from their narrow defeat in Navan as would Wicklow followimg their 2 point loss to Kildare. Losers of Westmeath and Laois would be no mugs. Same for Kildare v Longford. As Galway would testify, London would be harder than expected, great if you want a tough game against a committed team to get you battle hardened for tougher challenges, but not what we need right now. I know Tipp are on the slide and you'd take them in Clones but away in Semple is a different proposition. That leaves Carlow , Louth, Leitrim, Waterford and Wexford. Of these Carlow are in disarray and Wexford aren't much better and local rivalry notwithstanding, hard to see how Louth bounce back from that hammering last night. Both Leitrim and Waterford's goal would be to close the gap on last year's defeats. I think these 5 represent our best chance of emerging relatively untested. Of these, and because I want to get to Metallica but don't mind missing the support bands I'd go or Louth, preferably in Ardee at 2pm!!!!!

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 453 - 26/05/2019 09:42:18    2187514

Link

The draw from hell would be Tipp in Thurles or Derry in Celtic Park. All the rest we should get through.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 193 - 26/05/2019 11:22:00    2187544

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "Cannot get mayo in the first draw which is a pity."
You truly are clueless

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 798 - 26/05/2019 22:58:18    2187888

Link

So fermanagh at least in clones really tough draw probably the hardest team we could have got v good defensively and they really won't fear us. Bit of a moment of truth coming up for malachy and the team Saturday week. Chance to bounce back get revenge for last summer but based on this year's form I wouldn't be confident.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 27/05/2019 08:54:51    2187954

Link

Yes, it's a 'do or die' one this. Do Monaghan have enough spirit left for yet another Ulster blanket defence dogfight? Or will they have had enough?

Lose, and it'll be over for MOR, and several players too. I suspect this might be the end of our road. Fermanagh made things hard for Donegal for a long time yesterday, and the way we've played this year I just can't see us being able to grind it out against them.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 372 - 27/05/2019 09:08:46    2187961

Link

Clones is the big factor in this one. Fermanagh wouldn't have happy memories here & we tend to lift our game. Should have Jack back, Niall should be available for a quarter or so, not sure re Darren as will only be 9 weeks since his injury. This will be a dogged game especially in the first half but I am very optimistic that we will pull away in the second half. Keep the faith folks !

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 798 - 27/05/2019 09:36:49    2187976

Link

Great draw. Kill them or cure them.
It will force a rethink in attack

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 710 - 27/05/2019 10:41:18    2188014

Link