Kildare Forum

Dublin v Kildare Leinster semi final 2013?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Despite what will be a determined Kildare effort at the first quater or so ,I cant see the Dubs being bothered.In fact it wouldnt say a whoe lot for them if the did struggle against us.Thats the reality of he squads.I fail to see the justification of the prediction that it will be close.Could I also say that 30 euros is way too expensive.Forget comparisons with professional games etc,its way off.They charge 5 for kids but 30 for parents is clearly an effort to display an inclusve image.2 adults and 2 kids means 70 plus 20 for train etc.As a coach of younglads in hurling and football,I couldnt recommend them to go as it would put pressure on parents.

dubya (Kildare) - Posts: 423 - 13/06/2013 13:12:32    1405652

Link

55 euro tickets for a friendly between Liverpool and Celtic sold out the Aviva in an hour this morning. Not even a competitive game. If people want to go they pay the money. And if it really bothers you then get organised. Groups Passes are provided for groups of Juveniles U-16 €3 per Juvenile and you are permitted to bring 1 adult free with every ten Juveniles. Adult Club Groups Tickets are available for Club minimum of 15 maximum of 50 for the price of €20 each.

I know I sound like a brochure but I'm sick of GAA people feeling like they're owed something. All the money will make it's way back down in the organisation. How much of the takings in that friendly match will stay in Irish soccer?

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 13/06/2013 14:17:22    1405734

Link

@doublehop. It might'nt bother you financially but it does others. People are entitled to express their annoyance at ticket prices without you having a go. If they had the cop on to drop ticket prices then the grounds would be more full. Its a no brainer. Croke park aside. Do you think its right like in the qualifiers to travel to a substandard ground somewhere in the country pay 15 euro for a ticket only to be provided with terrible facilities i.e toilets, or grassy banks as a terrace(i.e pairc tailteann) on a wet day? Thats a health hazard itself. A fiver itself would be enough to pay in to some of these places.

cilldaraboy82 (Kildare) - Posts: 61 - 13/06/2013 16:48:57    1405930

Link

doublehop
County: Kildare

55 euro tickets for a friendly between Liverpool and Celtic sold out the Aviva in an hour this morning. Not even a competitive game. If people want to go they pay the money. And if it really bothers you then get organised. Groups Passes are provided for groups of Juveniles U-16 €3 per Juvenile and you are permitted to bring 1 adult free with every ten Juveniles. Adult Club Groups Tickets are available for Club minimum of 15 maximum of 50 for the price of €20 each.

I know I sound like a brochure but I'm sick of GAA people feeling like they're owed something. All the money will make it's way back down in the organisation. How much of the takings in that friendly match will stay in Irish soccer?

None at all.

It might help the FAI payoff some of the debt / running costs for their share of the holding company in the Aviva though. I can't help but think that this match will be the first "domestic" game a lot of die hard 'Pool and Celtic fans will be going to...

Anyways back to the GAA and tickets could certainly be cheaper, but would lower prices automatically equate to higher attendances and higher revenue? It's better to have 40,000 paying €30 per ticket than 50,000 only paying €20 as far the GAA is concerned.

I don't really buy into the whole double header rationale either, I go to watch Kildare so having AN Other v AN Other on before or after doesn't really make attending a game any more or less attractive for me, I imagine it's probably similar for a lot of fans.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3643 - 13/06/2013 17:37:15    1405971

Link

Personally I rarely watch a double header involving Kildare whether it's before or after Kildare's game.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2975 - 13/06/2013 18:02:36    1405993

Link

I can't help but think that this match will be the first "domestic" game a lot of die hard 'Pool and Celtic fans will be going to...

What people forget when they are talking about this is that the likes of ticketmaster/tickets.ie etc only get a limited number of tickets. Its not like 50,000 tickets sold in an hour today cause that is absolute total and utter BS.

10,071 Tickets went to Liverpool football club for season ticket holders and fan card holders, I'd Imagine the same amount went to Celtic for season ticket holders, That's already 20,000 tickets not on sale to the general public. Then you have tickets that go to people who own boxes etc in the Aviva or have season tickets for events held there.

I reckon a few thousand tickets where at us outlets like ticketmaster/tickets.ie etc went on sale.

Fact of the matter is 30 quid for a double header of entertainment is smashing value. Bottom line.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13598 - 13/06/2013 18:12:34    1406005

Link

It might'nt bother you financially but it does others. People are entitled to express their annoyance at ticket prices without you having a go.

Alright, hold on there. I'm not having a go at people's finances. What I'm saying is that the GAA are rightly proud enough of their own product. In that sense the comparisons I'm making are valid. People are regularly attending these other games like soccer friendlies and snorefest Rabo rugby games where International players aren't even involved. By comparison Dublin and Kildare in a Leinster semi-final surely has a high value. And as if_in_doubt says the GAA has to find a balance between filling stadiums and making the money to put back into the games. Throw in the fact you can come in for the second half of say Meath and Wexford and €30 is pretty good, no?

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 13/06/2013 19:32:45    1406067

Link

I never stay for both games. The double header value for money thing is a load of rubbish. Bottom line

cilldaraboy82 (Kildare) - Posts: 61 - 13/06/2013 19:38:00    1406075

Link

Well we've been in double headers with some cracking games in the last few years. Monaghan and Kerry, Cork and Kilkenny (hurling), Kerry and Donegal last year, the Division 1 semi-finals this year, even the minor semi-final in 2010. If ye missed all those I'd really feel sorry for ye!

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 13/06/2013 21:04:39    1406147

Link

Doublehop answer me this, Why did the Leinster council come out and say there was 35000 at the last double header on the June bank holiday when really no more than 20 to 25000 were really there. Are they trying to tell us that the tickets pricing is fair I don't think so even with Kildare v Dublin game its only a leinster semi final maybe if it was a final yes it would be worth the money and don't come back with Meath/Wicklow playing Wexford also, who in Kildare or Dublin would give a shite most of those fans would only come in after half time. As for your load of bull about group tickets this is only a small percentage. The GAA has to get real and start marketing there games properly would you not prefer 50000 there paying €20 or 35000 the real figure that will attend this semi final paying €30 to me its a no brainer.

carburyhill (Kildare) - Posts: 19 - 14/06/2013 09:14:10    1406228

Link

would you not prefer 50000 there paying €20 or 35000 the real figure that will attend this semi final paying €30 to me its a no brainer

I would prefer Kildare weren't in so much financial troubles. And we aren't going to get out of that charging a fiver in and filling the stadium.

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 14/06/2013 14:42:43    1406612

Link

Put it this way doublehop, if Kildare are the first game up and get beat, which has happened on numerous occasions well then i don't have the stomach to wait around and watch another game after a crushing defeat. Im sure there's other people out there who feel the same way. If we're the second game up, then like me some people really enjoy the pre match banter and chat amongst one another with a few pints and watch most of the first game on the tv in a pub full of supporters close to croker. There's nothing wrong with that, each to their own. Not everyone is like you Doublehop.

cilldaraboy82 (Kildare) - Posts: 61 - 14/06/2013 16:59:37    1406802

Link

Great, and some people feel they get value for money out of a double header. The other thing with double headers is that a lot of the time you'll have people with friends, relations, wives, girlfriends, etc from counties who are in the other match and they go in together whereas maybe they would not have gone.

But look either way I'm not on about that. The main thing I'm saying is that if we look at what other sports are charging and that's the acceptable market value out there the GAA are rightfully putting a price on their product which says this sport is worth as much. A huge championship match between two of the most populous counties in the country. In my opinion €30 is fair enough. Take it or leave it. I don't think I can explain it any better than that.

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 14/06/2013 19:23:03    1406943

Link

this is Kildare's biggest game during McGeeney's rain , so far .....FACT

Murlo111 (Dublin) - Posts: 192 - 17/06/2013 14:25:06    1408848

Link

Yes it is.

It is clearly a bigger game than a Leinster Final or an All Ireland Semi Final.

beir_bua (Kildare) - Posts: 746 - 17/06/2013 14:53:58    1408893

Link

Murlo111
County: Dublin

1408848 this is Kildare's biggest game during McGeeney's rain , so far .....FACT

Dont tell me the poor lad is bieng blamed for the wet weather on top everything else!

murof (Kildare) - Posts: 480 - 17/06/2013 15:01:41    1408904

Link

Murlo111
County: Dublin

1408848 this is Kildare's biggest game during McGeeney's rain , so far .....FACT

Bigger that Leinster Final 2009? All Ireland semi 2010? Leinster semi 2011?

It's not even as big as the Cork game last August. There's no expectations this year and as a result no pressure. Kildare are a mile off the top teams and I'd be shocked if we beat Dublin. I just hope we aren't beaten by 15 points as Dublin run straight down the middle at us.

Daith (Kildare) - Posts: 1140 - 18/06/2013 21:10:12    1410324

Link

yes , our season will be defined in the qualifiers and defeat should not lead to a major analysis, defeat to dublin is a regualr occurence. Not a huge game and hype free for a change as dubs are always favourites but this time there are question marks of us giving them a good game !

switec (Kildare) - Posts: 525 - 19/06/2013 12:57:18    1410645

Link

This game defines the entire McGeeney whether you like it or not just as you are clear that the other losses to Dublin have already done so. If we win of course his tenure would be viewed completely different. How can that be called anything other but 'defining'?

doublehop (Kildare) - Posts: 4172 - 20/06/2013 20:43:38    1411912

Link

If we lose as most of us expect, does anything change though? With expectations so low, I don't think there will be much criticism of the management, rightly or wrongly, if the result goes against us.

beir_bua (Kildare) - Posts: 746 - 20/06/2013 21:03:06    1411922

Link