(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Given the injuries and other absentees we could go with something like this:

Gleeson

Mulkerrin SAOC Heaney
O'Donnell Silke McDaid

Flynn FOC/D'Arcy

Brannigan Conroy Daly
Varley Comer Burke/Finnerty

Still a strong team considering the big name absentees.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 363 - 13/10/2020 17:04:25    2297321

Link

Ronan o beolainn in goal anyone agree??

mickruane (Galway) - Posts: 138 - 13/10/2020 19:24:01    2297365

Link

Does anyone here know the panel

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1214 - 13/10/2020 21:21:13    2297395

Link

Bizzare team. Sean Andy and Brannigan were dropped a few months ago and now starting. Not feeling very confident based on that starting 15.

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 80 - 14/10/2020 09:40:21    2297447

Link

1.Connor Gleeson
2. Conor Campbell
3. Sean Andy Kelly
4. Johnny Heaney (c)
5. Liam Silke
6. Johnny Duane
7. Cillian McDaid
8. John Maher
9. Cein D'Arcy
10. Eamonn Brannigan
11. Michael Daly
12. Jason Leonard
13. Robert Finnerty
14. Ian Burke
15. Paul Conroy

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1208 - 14/10/2020 10:16:45    2297457

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "1.Connor Gleeson
2. Conor Campbell
3. Sean Andy Kelly
4. Johnny Heaney (c)
5. Liam Silke
6. Johnny Duane
7. Cillian McDaid
8. John Maher
9. Cein D'Arcy
10. Eamonn Brannigan
11. Michael Daly
12. Jason Leonard
13. Robert Finnerty
14. Ian Burke
15. Paul Conroy"
expecting to see a few late changes before throw in... comer to start

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 14/10/2020 10:58:39    2297475

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "Does anyone here know the panel"
Judging from the leaked video with jimmy mcguiness I can make out the following players that are not included in team at weekend: Gary O Donnell, Fintan O Currain, Sean Mulkerrins, Tom Flynn, Bernard Power, Adrian Varley, Sean Kelly, Damo Comer, Gareth Bradshaw, Gary Sice, James Foley, Keran Molloy, Dessie Conneely (not sure), Antoine O Laoi (not sure).

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 14/10/2020 11:13:33    2297480

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "Bizzare team. Sean Andy and Brannigan were dropped a few months ago and now starting. Not feeling very confident based on that starting 15."
Brannigan has played a lot of league games already and has been very good so it's not surprising at all

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 14/10/2020 11:17:03    2297483

Link

There will be changes i would say.
2 midfielders very similar but a great chance for Maher if he starts, same for Jason Leonard, one of the most consistent club players in Ireland over the last 3 years, more than deserves his chance.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 14/10/2020 11:28:50    2297484

Link

I can imagine they'll be one or two changes but not more than that. After Comer was speaking on radio/tv this week declaring he's fit I presume he will play and that they might move someone else to midfield. Like the look of that full forward line though.

cavan.galway (Galway) - Posts: 105 - 14/10/2020 12:09:59    2297497

Link

How is this game going ahead if the Moycullen lads have covid? Or are they close contacts of cases? seems a bit dodge

tribesman123 (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 14/10/2020 12:57:55    2297516

Link

Replying To tribesman123:  "How is this game going ahead if the Moycullen lads have covid? Or are they close contacts of cases? seems a bit dodge"
close contacts of a confirmed case have to isolate. close contacts of close contacts do not. if any of the moycullen county panelists test positive then their close contacts have to isolate. its very straight forward.

on the bigger issue i think we have to accept playing with depleted teams and not ideal preparation. otherwise games would be called off left right and centre and we would have no football. some teams will be unlucky with outbreaks at the wrong time and some will be lucky. the only way for us to proceed to any type of normality is for people to suck it up.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1292 - 14/10/2020 13:16:45    2297529

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "There will be changes i would say.
2 midfielders very similar but a great chance for Maher if he starts, same for Jason Leonard, one of the most consistent club players in Ireland over the last 3 years, more than deserves his chance."
I'm sorry but Leonard was really poor this year especially,he only seems to play well when Corofin are winning well, when the pressure came on this year against MM he was no where to be seen!! He may be there for his free taking which he is outstanding from a placed ball but in my opinion he doesn't merit a start, and i think there will be changes before throw in on Sunday

Fox.1n.7he.b0x (Galway) - Posts: 44 - 14/10/2020 13:33:36    2297536

Link

What happened in Maigh Cuileann? Did they go mad celebrating?

Are the missing non Maigh Cuilleann first choice players (Mulkerrins, Comer, etc) also close contacts of the confirmed case? The team named is miles off what we'd want for a big league game.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 911 - 14/10/2020 13:42:34    2297540

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "close contacts of a confirmed case have to isolate. close contacts of close contacts do not. if any of the moycullen county panelists test positive then their close contacts have to isolate. its very straight forward.

on the bigger issue i think we have to accept playing with depleted teams and not ideal preparation. otherwise games would be called off left right and centre and we would have no football. some teams will be unlucky with outbreaks at the wrong time and some will be lucky. the only way for us to proceed to any type of normality is for people to suck it up."
I think PJ and Co have changed tack based on the once in a lifetime return to the old championship format. They will know that, 1, if they see off Sligo they are in a Connacht final. 2, The winner of that Connacht final is in an All Ireland semi final and just 2 games away from Glory. Remember last year Mayo had to play 8 times to get to an All Ireland Semi. This year they have to beat Leitrim, Roscommon and Galway (bar a huge upset) to be in a AI Semi. Based on this I reckon PJ will be rightly puting all his eggs in the championship basket. Remember the championship in Connacht is just over 2 weeks away, just over 3 weeks for Galway. With this in mind, and knowing Galway are safe in Div 1 he will do all in his power to have as close as possible to a full panel available for 07/11. 9 changes on Sunday from our last outing v Meath, surely those 9 will be very keen to do well. That said, if Mayo put out their best 15, they are the most battle hardend team in Ireland, and our newcomers can expect a baptism of fire.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1041 - 14/10/2020 14:06:22    2297556

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "I think PJ and Co have changed tack based on the once in a lifetime return to the old championship format. They will know that, 1, if they see off Sligo they are in a Connacht final. 2, The winner of that Connacht final is in an All Ireland semi final and just 2 games away from Glory. Remember last year Mayo had to play 8 times to get to an All Ireland Semi. This year they have to beat Leitrim, Roscommon and Galway (bar a huge upset) to be in a AI Semi. Based on this I reckon PJ will be rightly puting all his eggs in the championship basket. Remember the championship in Connacht is just over 2 weeks away, just over 3 weeks for Galway. With this in mind, and knowing Galway are safe in Div 1 he will do all in his power to have as close as possible to a full panel available for 07/11. 9 changes on Sunday from our last outing v Meath, surely those 9 will be very keen to do well. That said, if Mayo put out their best 15, they are the most battle hardend team in Ireland, and our newcomers can expect a baptism of fire."
Given what's going on around us I think PJ will be happy with a strong performance from several players . A win would be nice but not essential. It's all about championship

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1208 - 14/10/2020 15:08:27    2297577

Link

Replying To tribesman123:  "How is this game going ahead if the Moycullen lads have covid? Or are they close contacts of cases? seems a bit dodge"
Even if the Moycullen county players are confirmed cases (as opposed to close contacts) the rest of the county squad are not considered to be close contacts.
This is assuming that they haven't had any indoor contact with these players outside of the regular county get togethers which are completely outdoor based.
I imagine the Moycullen lads (if not confirmed cases themselves) are considered close contacts due to post county final celebrations etc

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 14/10/2020 15:13:35    2297580

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "Brannigan has played a lot of league games already and has been very good so it's not surprising at all"
Ohhhh someone called Townee sticking up for a lad from Michaels !

I am SHOCKED

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 80 - 14/10/2020 15:27:07    2297586

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Even if the Moycullen county players are confirmed cases (as opposed to close contacts) the rest of the county squad are not considered to be close contacts.
This is assuming that they haven't had any indoor contact with these players outside of the regular county get togethers which are completely outdoor based.
I imagine the Moycullen lads (if not confirmed cases themselves) are considered close contacts due to post county final celebrations etc"
Correct - it's likely that if any Moycullen panelists are COVID postivie, then their county team mates will only be classed as casual contacts. Unless they've had actual indoor contact or contact away from the training pitch.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 14/10/2020 15:43:42    2297589

Link

I'd say management are probably looking ahead 2 a Connaught final with mayo and maybe did not want show there full hand for Sunday providing everyone is fit and available for selection for championship I'd say Mulkerrins Kelly , comer Varley , Walsh O Donnell and either Flynn or o currain will all start only my opinion,, I woukd think the team that has being named will start Padraig usually not into picking dummy teams unless enforced through inj or Covid ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 452 - 14/10/2020 16:11:37    2297593

Link