Galway Forum

Galway Schools Football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Galway Schools are at a big disadvantage when it comes to Senior football as many of the schools dont make Transition year compulsory so some of our teams are at a big disadvantage being a year younger. Apparently our Schools are flying it in the underage schools comps.

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 06/02/2020 21:00:44    2265783

Link

Replying To philip3:  "Galway Schools are at a big disadvantage when it comes to Senior football as many of the schools dont make Transition year compulsory so some of our teams are at a big disadvantage being a year younger. Apparently our Schools are flying it in the underage schools comps."
In how many schools nationwide Is transition year compulsory? Not that high a percentage. In some yes but not huge amount
Wouldnt say transition year not being compulsory is a factor. Schools not offering it at all which quite a few dont would be more an issue no? Like bish dont offer it at all

KillingFields (Limerick) - Posts: 1669 - 07/02/2020 01:59:59    2265844

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "Interesting to note the rise on Claregalway school
And the Bish in Junior a too
Is Junior u15 oor 16"
Junior schools as far as I know is a bit different as in time age wise. It depends when the player turns 16. I was at the Bish and Jarlaths game. Jarlaths by far the better team. Galway minor manager Alan Glynn over the Bish. The game was won and lost on sideline.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 07/02/2020 10:00:20    2265886

Link

Replying To KillingFields:  "In how many schools nationwide Is transition year compulsory? Not that high a percentage. In some yes but not huge amount
Wouldnt say transition year not being compulsory is a factor. Schools not offering it at all which quite a few dont would be more an issue no? Like bish dont offer it at all"
Transition Year is not compulsory in most schools. However it depends from school to school whether there is a big uptake from the students to do it. The Bish for example do no have transition year at all, which puts them at a big disadvantage at senior level. I would still expect them to win the Connacht Senior B championship this year though. Nonetheless they compete at A in all the other age grades and do very well.

Claregalway are a new school, and this is the first year they have had 6th years in it that have completed Transition year. They are already competing at A in U16.5, U15 and 1st year A. They have put a massive drive in the school to recruit high profile GAA teachers and are putting a big effort into their sport in general. I expect them tobe the flagship galway school at senior from next year.

Re: Jarlaths - The margins between winning and losing are very close. Of the last 8 years in connacht, there have been 6 different winners. Their day will come again.

galwaygael (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 07/02/2020 10:01:57    2265887

Link

Replying To galwaygael:  "Transition Year is not compulsory in most schools. However it depends from school to school whether there is a big uptake from the students to do it. The Bish for example do no have transition year at all, which puts them at a big disadvantage at senior level. I would still expect them to win the Connacht Senior B championship this year though. Nonetheless they compete at A in all the other age grades and do very well.

Claregalway are a new school, and this is the first year they have had 6th years in it that have completed Transition year. They are already competing at A in U16.5, U15 and 1st year A. They have put a massive drive in the school to recruit high profile GAA teachers and are putting a big effort into their sport in general. I expect them tobe the flagship galway school at senior from next year.

Re: Jarlaths - The margins between winning and losing are very close. Of the last 8 years in connacht, there have been 6 different winners. Their day will come again."
Don't think Jarlaths turn will come again. They are been overtaken by city and Claregalway teams in Connacht. The odd league title is the most Jarlaths can hope for.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 07/02/2020 12:38:49    2265932

Link

Replying To KillingFields:  "In how many schools nationwide Is transition year compulsory? Not that high a percentage. In some yes but not huge amount
Wouldnt say transition year not being compulsory is a factor. Schools not offering it at all which quite a few dont would be more an issue no? Like bish dont offer it at all"
The Bish do indeed offer TY and and has done so for a couple of years

UtahBlaine (Galway) - Posts: 46 - 07/02/2020 21:54:06    2266036

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Don't think Jarlaths turn will come again. They are been overtaken by city and Claregalway teams in Connacht. The odd league title is the most Jarlaths can hope for."
Jarlaths were on top in the heyday of the boarding schools when they had the pick of all the best players in Galway and Mayo, I dont see those days coming back again.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 183 - 10/02/2020 21:27:17    2266907

Link

Galway are dominating Connacht at Underage level from U14 to U20 so Schools football has no reflection on it. Galway and Kerry the two top teams consistently for the past number of years.

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 10/02/2020 23:03:48    2266941

Link

its possiblei junior grade is more relevant as regards minor foot ball
as minor is now u17 and junior schools is u16
bish claregalway going srong in junior a

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1218 - 11/02/2020 10:41:58    2266999

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Jarlaths were on top in the heyday of the boarding schools when they had the pick of all the best players in Galway and Mayo, I dont see those days coming back again."
Fully agree. A lot of lads have refused to play for Jarlaths recently. They would sooner concentrate on club and country if good enough. And rightly so imo. Jarlaths need to realize there's no point in getting bet in first round of championship most years. They should realize they don't have numbers of players or good enough coaches anymore and therefore drop down a division.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 11/02/2020 11:05:31    2267007

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "its possiblei junior grade is more relevant as regards minor foot ball
as minor is now u17 and junior schools is u16
bish claregalway going srong in junior a"
Minor remains u18 in club. County is u17

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 11/02/2020 13:24:45    2267053

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Minor remains u18 in club. County is u17"
sorry to be clear I was talking about county minor u17

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1218 - 11/02/2020 15:15:31    2267077

Link

an added difficulty to galway school teams progression is the centre of excellence in mayo
extra travel for the majority of galway schools and then to be faced with mayo refs (saving on ref expenses) leads to often biased situation. on occasion the ref could even be from the club of the school team that are playing.... really fighting the odds up there and when finals are reached the greater accessibility to mayo schools means greater support can travel...

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 602 - 12/02/2020 14:36:48    2267317

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "an added difficulty to galway school teams progression is the centre of excellence in mayo
extra travel for the majority of galway schools and then to be faced with mayo refs (saving on ref expenses) leads to often biased situation. on occasion the ref could even be from the club of the school team that are playing.... really fighting the odds up there and when finals are reached the greater accessibility to mayo schools means greater support can travel..."
Most schools have TY now, was at the Jarlaths bish game, parent told me that footballers are asked to do ty in Jarlaths. In fact he said that players already asked to repeat next year to play football. Is this normal?
I feel there is more money spent on football in mayo schools.

largeball (Galway) - Posts: 5 - 13/02/2020 22:25:10    2267589

Link

Replying To largeball:  "Most schools have TY now, was at the Jarlaths bish game, parent told me that footballers are asked to do ty in Jarlaths. In fact he said that players already asked to repeat next year to play football. Is this normal?
I feel there is more money spent on football in mayo schools."
football prioritised in mayo schools and in some schools only sport playerd, galway have hurling soccer rugby etc so less money to go around as well as the fact that galweay sligo leitrim and ros have to travel to the mayo centre for matches which means more cost again

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 602 - 14/02/2020 12:07:17    2267647

Link

Replying To largeball:  "Most schools have TY now, was at the Jarlaths bish game, parent told me that footballers are asked to do ty in Jarlaths. In fact he said that players already asked to repeat next year to play football. Is this normal?
I feel there is more money spent on football in mayo schools."
Correct this is true and its going on in Jarlaths for ages. I remember about 6 years ago Jarlaths got to championships final but were bet. All the lads were asked to repeat for one more year by football coaches as there was a very good team there. I know this because my nephew was one of them. 90% repeated and guess what the following year they got bet in first round of championship.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 14/02/2020 13:48:25    2267669

Link

You can play rugby in Jarlath's now- whats the point? Go someplace else if you cant to play rugby.
Its identity was an elite GAA school and players trained like it and the school facilitated it. Now they'r nothing more than a community school offering everything.
I accept they no longer have the Mayo and donegal lads but they should have stuck to their identity.

lowballplease (Galway) - Posts: 911 - 18/02/2020 16:31:28    2268338

Link

With development squads these days, schools football just isn't as important to the development of potential intercounty players.

Galway schools football has declined massively while Mayo schools have improved massively but Mayo have been struggling to beat Galway at underage for pretty much the past 5 or 6 years. Mayo's narrow win over the Galway minors last year was their first win of any kind over Galway at underage in ages and Galway still ended up in the All-Ireland final.

Would it be nice if Galway schools were better like the old days? Undoubtably yes but it hasn't seemed to have any affect on the quality of young footballer that the county is producing. And that is the main thing.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1787 - 18/02/2020 18:38:48    2268348

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "With development squads these days, schools football just isn't as important to the development of potential intercounty players.

Galway schools football has declined massively while Mayo schools have improved massively but Mayo have been struggling to beat Galway at underage for pretty much the past 5 or 6 years. Mayo's narrow win over the Galway minors last year was their first win of any kind over Galway at underage in ages and Galway still ended up in the All-Ireland final.

Would it be nice if Galway schools were better like the old days? Undoubtably yes but it hasn't seemed to have any affect on the quality of young footballer that the county is producing. And that is the main thing."
It's not the main thing, inter county makes up less than 2% of the total membership of the Association. It seems everything now has to be geared towards inter county. The first thing the GAA should be promoting is participation & inclusivity, not everyone is going to be an inter county player. Inclusivity means that everyone can participate & when they can't you lose these people as members, players, supporters, sponsors, coaches, volunteers, fundraisers & so on. Anyways it's too late now as people no longer care or commit to GAA as they don't feel part of it & most especially at post primary school where support structures are abysmal.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1053 - 18/02/2020 21:09:52    2268370

Link

Seems to be loads of matches from 1st year's all the way up to senior for the Galway schools. They may not be competing in A competitions but they are all playing games from the results part of the GAA site for football. Apparently 180 players tried out for minor this year. Thats massive numbers and down to the great work done by clubs.

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 18/02/2020 22:25:46    2268382

Link