Galway Forum

Best 15 to get us to Croker

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Big response needed. Leaders need to stand up and put a big performance down.
Not expecting too many changes however as i feel KW will fear that if he makes 5/6 changes it will be tricky for them to immediatley click in a crunch qualifier game.
Im expecting him to change as little as possible and have every man warned as well as putting a big emphasis on the first 15 mins.
Having Army back will be a big bonus. Should slot right back in. Also feel a sweeper needs to be employed to sit infront of the full back line.
100% improvement needed from all players and staff if we are to get over Donegal in Sligo Saturday week.

WayneMarooney (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 11/07/2017 20:10:09    2015218

Link

Replying To WayneMarooney:  "Big response needed. Leaders need to stand up and put a big performance down.
Not expecting too many changes however as i feel KW will fear that if he makes 5/6 changes it will be tricky for them to immediatley click in a crunch qualifier game.
Im expecting him to change as little as possible and have every man warned as well as putting a big emphasis on the first 15 mins.
Having Army back will be a big bonus. Should slot right back in. Also feel a sweeper needs to be employed to sit infront of the full back line.
100% improvement needed from all players and staff if we are to get over Donegal in Sligo Saturday week."
My starting 15 and setup from the current group of players would be as follows;

1. Brendan Power

2.Eoghan Kerin 3.Declan Kyne 4.GarethBradshaw

(Sweeper) 10. Gary Sice

5. Johnny Heaney 6. Gary O'Donnell 7. Liam Silke

8. Paul Conroy 9. Fiontan O' Curraoin

11. Ronan Steede 12. Sean Armstrong

13.Shane Walsh 14.Damien Comer 15. Ian Burke

Very hard to pick the backs, but that's a decent team in my opinion! And a proper experienced side! The corofin lads have all the experience from there all Ireland win from a couple of years back! And they are a top club n Galway for the last 5years so it's obvious u pick the best from the club! (P.s. I'm a stars man myself just n case people might think I'm being biased with the corofin lads!

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 11/07/2017 21:37:56    2015261

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "My starting 15 and setup from the current group of players would be as follows;

1. Brendan Power

(Sweeper) 10. Gary Sice

Very hard to pick the backs, but that's a decent team in my opinion! And a proper experienced side! The corofin lads have all the experience from there all Ireland win from a couple of years back! And they are a top club n Galway for the last 5years so it's obvious u pick the best from the club! (P.s. I'm a stars man myself just n case people might think I'm being biased with the corofin lads!"
Daly played well last Sunday. Rushed a couple of shots but still scored when the pressure was on and scores were needed. He's tall enough too to field ball. 6ft 2 according to the match programme
I'd have him in there..

jam83 (Galway) - Posts: 35 - 11/07/2017 22:01:40    2015276

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "My starting 15 and setup from the current group of players would be as follows;

1. Brendan Power

(Sweeper) 10. Gary Sice

Very hard to pick the backs, but that's a decent team in my opinion! And a proper experienced side! The corofin lads have all the experience from there all Ireland win from a couple of years back! And they are a top club n Galway for the last 5years so it's obvious u pick the best from the club! (P.s. I'm a stars man myself just n case people might think I'm being biased with the corofin lads!"
if Ian Burke is struggling bring n Meehan
If Silke is n trouble bring n Eamonn Brannigan

Same with Steede they can drop n Tom Flynn
And with Steede, getting him to drift back into mid field for the kickouts with Fintan and Conroy!
Only concern id have about Sice is, does he still have the legs for 70mins plus intense football ...?? Because I'd say this is defo his last year with the county IMO.
The options are there if management weren't so tunnel visioned on the western players!!

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 11/07/2017 22:03:05    2015278

Link

1. Brendan Power

(Sweeper) 10. Gary Sice

Cant believe some of you guys think players like Steede Sice or Ian Burke will improve the team. Sice is finished as a Co player and the other two are not Co standard.I want to see Galway beat Donegal but for the future of Galway football defeat would be best. The present management needs to go. Kerry are the likely opponents if we beat Donegal and that could be very embarrassing.

crafty (Galway) - Posts: 183 - 11/07/2017 22:12:55    2015286

Link

Think brannighan and Daly have 2 start need brannighan to keep mchugh busy put him on back foot and make him defend Donegal are a lot like mayo most if not all there attacks start in half back line if Galway play full time sweeper like last day we will be giving up kick outs and we will get hammered again as tipp did last year also lets put them on back foot and really go for it at least if we loose try something not the same thing that has failed everytime

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 11/07/2017 22:39:44    2015306

Link

Power
Kyne
David Walsh
Kerins
O Donnell
Bradshaw
McDaid
Conroy
Comer
Farragher
Daly
Walsh
Burke
Meehan
Armstrong

Connemaraman (Galway) - Posts: 84 - 11/07/2017 22:58:15    2015314

Link

1. Brian Donoghue
2. Kyne
3. Walsh
4. Kerrin
5. Heaney
6. O'Donnell
7. Silke
8. Conroy
9. Daly
10. Sice
11. Walsh
12. Brannigan
13. Armstrong
14. Comer
15. Cummins
Call Donoghue and get him back in goals he's solid good shot stopper and can kick. He's playing well in the club championship and the keepers in since he was let go have been terrible. Not much else you can do with the fulback line no other players available unless Duane could be launched. Out the middle Daly would fit in well he's big and has pace. Conroy can tussle with Michael Murphy. Sice should be given the role of protector of the D leaving space for the 2 runners Walsh and Brannigan in the half fwd line.. 3 inside hold shape and let the ball into them.

WolfeTone (Galway) - Posts: 123 - 11/07/2017 23:28:28    2015326

Link

Replying To crafty:  "Cant believe some of you guys think players like Steede Sice or Ian Burke will improve the team. Sice is finished as a Co player and the other two are not Co standard.I want to see Galway beat Donegal but for the future of Galway football defeat would be best. The present management needs to go. Kerry are the likely opponents if we beat Donegal and that could be very embarrassing."
I semi agree with you about Sice, but imo he looks to me as he is not happy with the management setup and he is not clicking this year when he is on the field...
If they kept a very close on eye him & see how he goes for the first 15 - 20mins as a sweeper! It's not the end of the world if it isn't working they can always sub him off and drop Heaney back into a sweeper role... But as we know Kevin gets into such a trance he nearly forgets to sub a player....!!!!

Regarding Steede and Ian Burke they both have all Ireland club medals - that in itself is a massive plus over the whole team! Steede was asked to Australia in 2015 for AFL but turned it down, so what does that say!?? Are u telling me that Tom Flynn from (athenry an intermediate club) deserves more of starting 15 place than Steede from a senior winning all Ireland club team!????? Come on!! Trophies speak for themselves...

Just watch Ian Burke on YouTube n action in the 2013 all Ireland u21 football final against cork and watch classest football scoring you will ever see from a corner forward both off the left and right foot... He was unreal..... That was a true traditional Galway football team which had Comer, Walsh, O' Curraoin, Varley and Ian Burke which are now all senior... Barr Varley, who is n da States for the summer...If Kevin only gives him a chance he be class act at corner forward...

Just a quick side note..... And this is how bad things are.... As I said already I'm a Tuam stars man, but I guarantee you the starting 15 players from corofin would beat the starting 15 Galway county team!!!! FACT!

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 11/07/2017 23:32:29    2015328

Link

Replying To jam83:  "Daly played well last Sunday. Rushed a couple of shots but still scored when the pressure was on and scores were needed. He's tall enough too to field ball. 6ft 2 according to the match programme
I'd have him in there.."
I think daly is a year to early with the seniors but the experience will do him good... A full league campaign next year will bring him on leaps.. Plus he has a lot football under his belt this this year from the U21... I still waiting to be convinced about his style of kickin tho!!??

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 11/07/2017 23:39:37    2015329

Link

As Dublin have proved, the best strategy for beating Donegal is to have 2 strong direct runners coming through the middle - like MD McAuley and McManamon. I think the only 2 players with the required strength and stamina to fulfil these roles are Conroy (matched up with Murphy), and Damo at 11. McGee at full back is on the slide big time, so I would play Mikey Meehan at 14. Would go with Ian at 13 and Army 15. Walsh at 10 and Brannigan at 12 (matched up with Ryan McHugh). I would hold Ml. Daly in reserve as cover for Ian - remember how he turned on the style when introduced against Kildare. Bradshaw with McBrearty and Heaney with Eoghan McHugh. Silke, McDaid and O'Donnell - and full back/keeper...? Noel Tierney and Johnny Geraghty!

Really (Galway) - Posts: 381 - 12/07/2017 00:45:59    2015346

Link

For this year, current group:
B.Power
L.Burke
D.Kyne
L.Silke
G.O'Donnell
G.Bradshaw
J.Heany
P.Conroy
T.Flynn
S.Walsh
D.Comer
M.Daly
S.Armstrong
M.Meechan
D.Cummins

For next year, hopefully this is possible:
B.Power
D.Kyne
SA.O'Ceallach
L.Silke
C.McDaid
G.Bradshaw
J.Heany
P.Conroy
P.Cooke
S.Walsh
M.Daly
E.Brannigan
I.Burke
D.Comer
D.Cummins

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 797 - 12/07/2017 02:58:45    2015357

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "I semi agree with you about Sice, but imo he looks to me as he is not happy with the management setup and he is not clicking this year when he is on the field...
If they kept a very close on eye him & see how he goes for the first 15 - 20mins as a sweeper! It's not the end of the world if it isn't working they can always sub him off and drop Heaney back into a sweeper role... But as we know Kevin gets into such a trance he nearly forgets to sub a player....!!!!

Regarding Steede and Ian Burke they both have all Ireland club medals - that in itself is a massive plus over the whole team! Steede was asked to Australia in 2015 for AFL but turned it down, so what does that say!?? Are u telling me that Tom Flynn from (athenry an intermediate club) deserves more of starting 15 place than Steede from a senior winning all Ireland club team!????? Come on!! Trophies speak for themselves...

Just watch Ian Burke on YouTube n action in the 2013 all Ireland u21 football final against cork and watch classest football scoring you will ever see from a corner forward both off the left and right foot... He was unreal..... That was a true traditional Galway football team which had Comer, Walsh, O' Curraoin, Varley and Ian Burke which are now all senior... Barr Varley, who is n da States for the summer...If Kevin only gives him a chance he be class act at corner forward...

Just a quick side note..... And this is how bad things are.... As I said already I'm a Tuam stars man, but I guarantee you the starting 15 players from corofin would beat the starting 15 Galway county team!!!! FACT!"
Complete and utter bullsh*t.
There's not a chance Corofin would beat the Galway seniors.
That statement there tells me all I need to know about your football knowledge.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 757 - 12/07/2017 08:49:23    2015383

Link

I don't think parachuting in players with hardly any league experience never mind championship is the answer. I might contradict myself with McDaid included below but he played the early rounds of the league and was superb in u21 championship. My 15 for Donegal
Power
Silke Kyne Kerin
Farragher
O'Donnell Bradshaw McDaid
Conroy O'Curraoin
Brannigan Walsh
Army
Damo Daly

Brannigan tracks McHugh and the other 4 forwards rotate all day to keep Donegal guessing and to take a breather inside when needed but work like hell when out the field. Brannigan to give it all for 40/45 mins and get Heaney in then. We don't have any other option at full back currently (Walsh hasn't the experience and Sean Andy is for 2018) so Farragher protects the area. Anyone who has watched Galway club football will see he is one of the smartest players we have and his reading and distribution is top class. It frees Bradshaw to pick up breaks and charge forward which his is best asset

GalwayOptimist (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 12/07/2017 09:02:42    2015387

Link

Power
Silke
Kyne
Kerin
Mcdaid
O'Donnell
Brad
Conroy
FOC
Brannigan
Walsh
Daly
Sice or Heaney for sweeping role
Comer
Cummins

Fballfan (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 12/07/2017 09:27:04    2015396

Link

Replying To GalwayOptimist:  "I don't think parachuting in players with hardly any league experience never mind championship is the answer. I might contradict myself with McDaid included below but he played the early rounds of the league and was superb in u21 championship. My 15 for Donegal
Power
Silke Kyne Kerin
Farragher
O'Donnell Bradshaw McDaid
Conroy O'Curraoin
Brannigan Walsh
Army
Damo Daly

Brannigan tracks McHugh and the other 4 forwards rotate all day to keep Donegal guessing and to take a breather inside when needed but work like hell when out the field. Brannigan to give it all for 40/45 mins and get Heaney in then. We don't have any other option at full back currently (Walsh hasn't the experience and Sean Andy is for 2018) so Farragher protects the area. Anyone who has watched Galway club football will see he is one of the smartest players we have and his reading and distribution is top class. It frees Bradshaw to pick up breaks and charge forward which his is best asset"
Farragher was poor against Down in the league when they tried him at centre-back he seemed to have no idea how to cover. Sice dropped back that day and closed up the middle, he'd be my idea of a sweeper.

WolfeTone (Galway) - Posts: 123 - 12/07/2017 09:36:47    2015399

Link

What is the argument for retaining FOC in the squad? He doesn't tick any boxes for me, as an intercounty midfielder. Is he there, because we think he's going to turn into an intercounty midfielder at some stage? He's 6'4, but imo, a 5'4 player could do what he's doing, which usually boils down to a bit of handpassing & basic link play between the two 50 yard lines.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2355 - 12/07/2017 11:10:35    2015449

Link

Pope in his defence, is your analysis of o currin more to do with his role as part of the 'system' or lack of skills set ?

Players are selected deliberately with a limited skill set as it lends itself to fulfilling the role in question and nothing else.

But your analysis of his role is very accurate handpassing, little or no kicking in linking play.

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 363 - 12/07/2017 12:44:25    2015521

Link

Replying To handpassking:  "Pope in his defence, is your analysis of o currin more to do with his role as part of the 'system' or lack of skills set ?

Players are selected deliberately with a limited skill set as it lends itself to fulfilling the role in question and nothing else.

But your analysis of his role is very accurate handpassing, little or no kicking in linking play."
hpk, I was a bit ott & inaccurate to say that he doesn't tick any box as an intercounty midfielder. In fact, I think his 'skillset', particularly in ball handling & carrying etc is probably the best thing he exhibits at senior level so far. He was a standout spectacular u21 midfielder on two all-ireland winning teams in '11 & '13, so he has 'something'. He's a 'nice' footballer on the ball, but the majority of players that ever togged for football at any level were possibly 'nice' on the ball. What he seems to be missing are some critical fundamental ingredients for serious 8-9 play at senior intercounty level. His lack of physicality & aggression under the dropping ball is probably the biggest miss. He's also not at all 'rangey', whether that's a system flaw or a player flaw is questionable. He rarely works back to help defense. He rarely sorties forward to attack. He doesn't bring much physicality, energy, workrate or aggression, even to the area of the pitch that he continually operates in these days, between the 50 yard lines. KW says he was surprised that our midfield didn't get it done last Sunday, but with FOC bringing what he brings at this level, it can't have been that surprising either.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2355 - 12/07/2017 14:20:02    2015604

Link

Pope in don't think your comments on his limitatios are OTT, they are based on on what we have seen of him.
It begs the question why hasn't he developed into the complete inter county midfielder considering his time in this type of setup? Why haven't managements identified these flaws in his game and eliminated them?

Would Steede nit be a better option? Technically a fine footballer with an array of skills and as you pointed out is the day of 6 foot plus midfielder dying?

handpassking (Galway) - Posts: 363 - 12/07/2017 15:35:49    2015656

Link