Fermanagh County Senior Football Management

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

THE BRAWL IN THE PARK

01/11/2012 09:09:47
FermanaghChief
County: Fermanagh

1290923 .....

The Brewster Brawl.

Again this is usually something that I would welcome. An innovative idea by the players to raise money and help with their preparation for next season. But again on closer examination questions have to be asked...
Each player has been told they have to raise £500. Now if there is a 30 man panel that is £15000 plus the money they will make on the 3 nights themselves out of ticket sales, the raffle and the bar. It should raise a lot of money
1. What is this money going towards??
2. Who will control what it is spent on??
3. Will it be used to cover management travelling "expenses"?
I would be all for this event but I want clarity on exactly what the money is being used for and who will be controlling the purse strings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with the Fermanagh Chief but would to have concerns about the control of the money and what it is to spent on.
The first spanner-in-the-works is apparently Enniskillen Gaels club's expenses for hosting the event. They is talk that they expecting the same reinbursement as the Ulster Council has given them for hosting intercounty football which equates to about 9 or 10% of the gate returns. This matter cannot be brushed over and hidden somewhere in general expenses. I ask again Should this event be run whereby everything is transparent? Finally, why has £20k being earmarked for a sun training holiday for the county team and can the new co board overturn this proposal? Would a training break at Westport not be more appropriate for a div 3 team?

GalloonBaffoon (Fermanagh) - Posts: 106 - 12/11/2012 21:22:04    1296774

Link

So the GalloonBaffoon alais macca999 is objecting to the Fermanagh team having a wee holiday abroad.

Does the baffoon not realise this arrangement is part and partial of most progressive county team regimes?

Does the baffoon not realise that these footballers are raising a substantial amount of the funds themselves?

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1384 - 13/11/2012 10:33:05    1296836

Link

There is nobody who could begrudge the county panel a holiday abroad given the effort,time and commitment they are putting into the fundraiser event,combined with the effort they are going to put in over next 12 months,lets hope it pats off with success on the field,Donegal have raised the bar even higher,its up to everyone else to try match it.

Anyword on what new players are going to be added to the county panel for season ahead? hope to see Chris O Brien and Marty O Brien involved this year.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 901 - 13/11/2012 20:48:18    1297311

Link

I hear there a few st micks boys from last year in squad. Chris O'brien was very poor for club throughout year.

Erne12 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 62 - 13/11/2012 21:27:54    1297363

Link

I agree county teams need to be prepared properly but it would cost about £100,000 to sent the current co panel to say la manga for a week if you include travel meals, training, travel expenses, covering cost of people getting off work etc. Now I ask is this a good use of money particuarily in the current climate
What could the county board do with £100,000? Well they could:
* Pay all club affiliation fees for two years
*Run all county development squads for 3 or 4 years
*Train equip and pay the expenses of all referees in the county for 6 years
*Develop a proper county office in Brewster Park
*Employ another football or hurling coach for 5 years

or send the senior squad on a weeks holiday to the sun!

gaeelforce15 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 24 - 14/11/2012 18:33:36    1297816

Link

Well said gaelforce15
The clubs who had to pick up the increased leveys for this year will be the ones who will no doubt be expected to run this proposed 2000 member draw which will no doubt subsidise the la manga experience as well as pay the leveys, affiliations and registration costs of these same pampered players.

No thought or consideration for the clubs, just so long as the lads get their week in the sun.
This is the same team who couldn't even win a division 4 title don't forget.
Did Donegal go to la manga? No they went to Carton House, same as our star footballers.

Lets face facts here. Fermanagh won't win an ulster title. Not by a long shot.
Why waste money on a pipe dream when the money should be pumped into meaningful, structured underage coaching to bring our footballers up to the required standard. If you don't think this is necessary look at the results of U21 and minor teams over the past 10 years.

howshecuttin08 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 207 - 15/11/2012 15:57:29    1298231

Link

Children children! Where has the mooted Malaga trip come from? Is this conjecture?

To humanise the issue a little.......these are our best players, who play and train hard for our clubs, who train extra hard and face extra sacrifices for our county.
I'm not saying a trip to Malaga is the answer but surely someone who puts in efforts above and beyond and excels in what they do should benefit A LITTLE. If the management feel that Malaga will help achieve this ....well then so be it.
Surely they should be helped to be better and achieve (relative) greatness or at least consistently fulfil their potential.

This is how it works in every other code of sport. Look at the effort, support and money that is required to be a top rugby player or an Aussie rules player and we expect our county players to compete and train at similar levels on an amateur level. Look at an amateur Olympic athlete (e.g elite boxers receive bursary of E30,000 EACH and yet success is still not guaranteed)
Now I'm not endorsing the GPA and a route to professionalism....dont get me wrong but to put things in perspective: we are not talking about immoral monetary bonuses or obscene pensions sums for each player....we are talking about giving some support to the team we all support.

Although many would prefer it to be, the GAA is not a communist organisation. There is elitism and elite athletes and they need to be treated as so. The best should be given every opportunity to be the best they can be. If they achieve that ; then we can all take some satisfaction and pride in that (eg 2004, 2005, 2008)

I also agree with gaeelforce15 ....so maybe another £100,000 should be raised. Why doesn't gaeelforce15 get out there and help!

I commend the county board and players for taking the initiative and organising some fundraising and entertainment to boot. Those involved at county board level get a lot of grief for their voluntary efforts and those who criticise do not realise the unseen works, time & effort that is put in behind the scenes. Of course things can improve....because there is no ceiling in excellence.

Maybe all those negative posters should go face to face with the county manager and their own club based county players and tell them that they do not deserve to be given anything other than a few sandwiches, a bag of balls, a few cones and a pitch stuck in the hills near Tempo. That is the subliminal message you are sending out.
No doubt you'll be all back here at the end of next summer lambasting the county senior team set-up and demanding to know why they didn't win an Ulster title.

Nontheism (Fermanagh) - Posts: 105 - 16/11/2012 12:50:11    1298592

Link

Oh i meant La Manga...not Malaga......I could do with a trip to Malaga if anyone would like to fund raise the money for me :-)

Nontheism (Fermanagh) - Posts: 105 - 16/11/2012 12:55:52    1298596

Link

Fair play to the county football management committee who are determined not to be messed around so they are considering putting a plan in place should they decide to have to recruit a new manager. I guess from what was said from one of those involved is that the team must be looked after with the best manager available and that is the committee's primary responsibility. After all, come what may it is the skills and commitment the team players give is the main ingredient in success. That being, peripheral changes around the team can change from time to time but the core ingredient to success is the players.

barneytown (Fermanagh) - Posts: 289 - 18/07/2016 17:08:29    1885741

Link

Delighted to read in todays Irish News that Pete McGrath has committed to stay on for next season,huge boost for county and he will be in position to watch club championship matches. Stability hugely important if going to push on with the progress being made!

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 901 - 20/07/2016 09:24:12    1886807

Link

So it appears to be a relatively quick decision has been taken by McGrath following Barney's leak on social networks. And O'Neill was just about to update his CV but he is prepared to wait another year. During his county management time, O'Neill developed the new Fermanagh team and the strategy to take it forward but wasn't given the opportunity to finish what he had started so subsequent managers claimed the glory instead.

Although, Fermanagh gained nothing this year in the McKenna Cup or indeed the national league having survived relegation by the skin of their teeth thanks to Tyrone. The Ulster championship and the backdoor route to the All Ireland championship once again resulted in nothing. But we live in hope and maybe after McGrath's reign, we might get O'Neill or an O'Neill type breed of manager to inspire a team to achieve the county's first Ulster championship title!

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 21/07/2016 01:11:47    1887369

Link

Out of interest here is O'Neill's squad of 2011 and you will see quite a number still in today's Fermanagh setup...

O'Neill's Fermanagh squad of 2011
J McGrath
J Woods
B Owens
M Jones
M O'Brien
H Brady
B Mulrone
K Cosgrove
R Jones
T O'Flanaghan
T McElroy (left later on)
M MCGrath (injured)
B Og Maguire RIP
P Ward
T Corrigan
D Kille
S Quigley
C Breen
J O'Flanaghan
N McGovern
C O'Brien
N Cassidy
R O'Callaghan
J O'Brien
P McCusker
S Carters
K Connolly
P McGrath
D McCusker
S Ryder

Those who felt they couldn't join the squad:
Bogue, Niall
Connolly, James
Flaherty, Ciaran
Little, Mark
Lynch, Liam
McElroy, Tommy
Mullarkey, John
Quigley, Seamus
Sherry, James
Sherry, Peter
Keenan, Ryan
Keenan, Daryll
Maguire, Eamon

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 21/07/2016 15:07:54    1887720

Link

"We have created a monster and now we have to feed him"
Former Munster Council chairman Sean Fogarty believes the new GAA/GPA deal will drive a wedge between inter-county and club players.
The GAA and GPA unveiled details on Monday of a new framework agreement for the period 2017-2019 which includes a number of significant increases in benefits for inter-county players.
When asked for his reaction by The Examiner, the Tipperary man replied: "In one sentence, we have created a monster and now we have to feed him. I would have serious reservations about just how much is being made available to the inter-county player when it's the club player who is struggling most."
He continued: "Clubs are on their knees, struggling to pay €1,000 to affiliate junior B teams that are vaguely interested in playing football and hurling. I have the height of respect for inter-county players but there is an imbalance between how club and county players are treated. I was on the bus to Cavan to watch the Tipperary footballers last Saturday with ordinary guys and they're all struggling. We have become reduced to the roles of ticket sellers to keep clubs afloat. We're begging the same people time after time for the sake of the club. If we can give over €6m a year to guys who are already well treated and don't have to buy a bit of gear and get overnight stays, then surely we can do more to recognise sacrifices made by club players."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Fermanagh Gravy Train

Well that statement certainly applies to the Fermanagh county brigade too with many concerned about the so called 'gravy train' while the clubs are starved of support never mind leaving senior club teams to play without their best players all too often.

Many would be shocked if knew the actual cost of running the county bandwagon but such information is cleverly presented or should I say miss represented in order to pull the wool over the eyes of the GAA clubs of Fermanagh.

1. Let's start with the mileage claims and any club player can tell what their county player teammates are getting paid yet many of them travel together to their county training!
2. Costly high end food supplements are supplied to every player.
3. Sports gear and a treble set of football boots supplied annual pair squad member.
4. Regular hotel accommodation and meals for the manager as and when required throughout the season.
5. Coach hire went needed.
6. Quite a number of backroom staff including therapists of various kinds.
7. Costly medical provision including private hospital operations..
8. Legal and media advisers.
9. Weekends getaways,

I'm not sure what the answer is to the gravy train and how to sensibly fund it but no doubt they will be many that want to turn a blind eye!

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 27/07/2016 19:02:22    1891147

Link

Replying To YesterdaysMan:  ""We have created a monster and now we have to feed him"
Former Munster Council chairman Sean Fogarty believes the new GAA/GPA deal will drive a wedge between inter-county and club players.
The GAA and GPA unveiled details on Monday of a new framework agreement for the period 2017-2019 which includes a number of significant increases in benefits for inter-county players.
When asked for his reaction by The Examiner, the Tipperary man replied: "In one sentence, we have created a monster and now we have to feed him. I would have serious reservations about just how much is being made available to the inter-county player when it's the club player who is struggling most."
He continued: "Clubs are on their knees, struggling to pay €1,000 to affiliate junior B teams that are vaguely interested in playing football and hurling. I have the height of respect for inter-county players but there is an imbalance between how club and county players are treated. I was on the bus to Cavan to watch the Tipperary footballers last Saturday with ordinary guys and they're all struggling. We have become reduced to the roles of ticket sellers to keep clubs afloat. We're begging the same people time after time for the sake of the club. If we can give over €6m a year to guys who are already well treated and don't have to buy a bit of gear and get overnight stays, then surely we can do more to recognise sacrifices made by club players."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Fermanagh Gravy Train

Well that statement certainly applies to the Fermanagh county brigade too with many concerned about the so called 'gravy train' while the clubs are starved of support never mind leaving senior club teams to play without their best players all too often.

Many would be shocked if knew the actual cost of running the county bandwagon but such information is cleverly presented or should I say miss represented in order to pull the wool over the eyes of the GAA clubs of Fermanagh.

1. Let's start with the mileage claims and any club player can tell what their county player teammates are getting paid yet many of them travel together to their county training!
2. Costly high end food supplements are supplied to every player.
3. Sports gear and a treble set of football boots supplied annual pair squad member.
4. Regular hotel accommodation and meals for the manager as and when required throughout the season.
5. Coach hire went needed.
6. Quite a number of backroom staff including therapists of various kinds.
7. Costly medical provision including private hospital operations..
8. Legal and media advisers.
9. Weekends getaways,

I'm not sure what the answer is to the gravy train and how to sensibly fund it but no doubt they will be many that want to turn a blind eye!"
How many of our club players in Fermanagh actually live within their club boundaries anymore? More and more players are moving to Belfast, Dublin and further afield for work and university. What is the GAA doing to help clubs persuade their players to commit year on year.

This year has seen a lot of junior teams forfeiting, how long will it be before senior clubs in Fermanagh are doing this? Again, everyone wants to see the county team doing well and there are costs to this, but without the club player the game will be extinct. Couldn't agree more that this deal has created an even wider gap within our games!!!

sidelinecut40 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 84 - 28/07/2016 10:22:01    1891371

Link

Are there any players standing out in the league this year to be in the frame for the county panel?Would Seamus Ryder be worth another punt. I see he scored 3-5 or something ridiculous in a league game against irvinestown.

shamrockhoops (Fermanagh) - Posts: 23 - 28/07/2016 11:53:34    1891433

Link

Problems with the local GAA game is down to a dinosaur led county board whose lack of a realistic and modern day approach is abysmal hence the beginning of the steady decline in particularly adult football. Although, some commendable efforts have been made at club grassroots level to create a new and young vibrant player base this unfortunately is not being sustained in the same numbers as they progress into adult football. The dinosaur culture heading up the GAA in the county seem talk the talk but don't walk the walk allowing the adult games such as the junior leagues to dwindle towards potential extinction. All you have to do is look at how many games that have been conceded recently to give you a picture of how serious the issue is. On the subject of the GPA payments for county players that may lead to a semi professional game which has serious implications for club football due to restrictions on the number of game such county players will be permitted to play for their club. Just imagine how that will impact on the struggling adult club football!

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 126 - 28/07/2016 12:16:33    1891451

Link