Fermanagh Forum

Fermanagh County Senior Football Management

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

thanks for the concern cillnaile and coagael,looking at the cavan game today,painful viewing as many of us know Fermanagh should have been playing today but at this time I dont think we are in a position to challenge Kildare,in saying that we would have provided a better test for the lilywhites.

So is the minority going to forget their cruesade of the 2011 saga and row and fully support the Fermanagh panel in 2013???,if players can dont see why supporters cant!!!

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 901 - 15/07/2012 20:56:52    1218304

Link

I should have pushed off the fence earlier into the Monaghan side and that would have eased his anatomy discomfort and kept off our Fermanagh board.

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 15/07/2012 22:00:26    1218458

Link

As you all know by now I visit these forums from time to time to keep tabs on multi-user posters such a macca999, smiler and so on.

I have observed that macca999 is continuing to spend time on numerous county messageboards using various names and running down Fermanagh, Monaghan, Tyrone, Armagh, etc. This interests me as to the personality behind the poster who on one hand is supportive of e.g. Fermanagh and then under other usernames will be critical of Fermanagh or Monaghan or whatever county he chooses to target on the day.

What is disappointing from a club prospective is how he feels the urge to go and watch a Cavan game yet make no effort to go and support his own Newtown club games. The latter puzzles me as any genuine GAA supporter puts his club first.

The other poster I referred to is 'Smiler' who like macca999 uses other usernames. Smiler appears to me to feel some kind of rejection at not being part of the Fermanagh squad of 2012. Obviously, from his postings he is an O'Neill supporter and probably was part of the 2011 squad and continues his opposition to the new manager through this medium which is possibly the only platform left to vent his frustration of rejection.

Anyway, I'm off for a few weeks across the Atlantic Ocean but I will be revisiting Hoganstand in September to evaluate some more postings.

Also, I just want to say good luck to our Enniskillen Gaels club in the championship.

ekn_teacher (Fermanagh) - Posts: 242 - 16/07/2012 11:32:11    1218746

Link

ekn teacher hahaha

you must think i have plenty of time on my hands to be using various usernames on fermanagh,monaghan,armagh and tyrone pages,unfortunately as I am not a teacher like you i dont have the luxury of sitting around doing meaningless things as you believe.
I have posted on other counties pages under my own username maccca999,as i am aware this is not illegal and many other posters do it,doesnt mean your from or supporting that county

And for your information i was at my club, newtowns game yesterday and fridays too,when i say painful viewing the cavan game for fermanagh people I refer to seeing it on tv and news reports,as we should have been playing yesterday.

well for such a good club man like yourself ekn teacher ,im shocked your going on holidays during the club championship!!!!!:-)
Your not back until september?? we cant wait,teachers obviously have it hard only getting 2 months hols across atlantic!

Back to important matters,is the same backroom team remaining for 2013 does anyone know??

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 901 - 16/07/2012 12:57:45    1218959

Link

Ekn teacher
Don't give up the day job because your attempt at been a detective are very wide of the mark I for one have never posted under another name and I was not part of any county panel last year I have said in the past that o,neill got very rough justice last year and the county board hung him out to dry instead of them coming forward and stating the real reason for our so call star walking away buried their heads and left o, neill take the flak and of course no stone was left uncovered to make sure that everybody was back on board this year to make sure that the blame would be left on o, neill doorstep alas with the superstars back what have we achieved except a big financial burden which is now left to the hard pressed clubs to pick up the tabs. Once again why will the county board not tell the clubs how much our senior team has cost this year in comparison to last year? Answer because it would show the real truth about what is going on.

smiler (Fermanagh) - Posts: 84 - 16/07/2012 13:59:00    1219106

Link

Aye you're spot on teacher because I read back over macca & smiler's messages and they are one and the same person. I wouldn't claim to be that brainy but I can see he is trying to fool us by writing differently. When I read through a couple of them messages it became clear what macca/smiler is up to. Condemning o'Neill in one message and praising him in another, in other words being two-faced!

barneytown (Fermanagh) - Posts: 289 - 16/07/2012 14:18:12    1219152

Link

Barneytown
sorry to disappoint ye but your very wide of the mark and i dont think i praised or critised o.neill what i have always stated that o'neill got very rough justice and i will state o'neill would not be my choice for the managers position but at the time and the price he was the only man and the county board appointed him but then certain executive members of the same board preceeded to undermine him.The one thing i will say is we can be sure that this county board and its members will never let the truth stand in the way of a good story

smiler (Fermanagh) - Posts: 84 - 16/07/2012 15:30:18    1219287

Link

My god when will be ever done with the O'Neill influence. I thought the appointment of Peter Canavan would have erased O'Neill completely from the picture but unfortunately we see that hasn't occurred. In fact the evidence is becoming more apparent that the O'Neill influence is still very much alive in the Fermanagh team because certain players are unhappy and simply cannot accept that return of last year's absent players to this year's panel. There is a gruop of the team together with some ex-O'Neill team players whose noses are out of joint, who are opposed to certain players on Canavan's panel and this came to a head when Owens talked to the Irish News a few months ago. The co board sidelind their duty to take action put the burden on Canavan to deal with the fallout from it. But it didn't work as the issue raised its head again during the recent championship time with a clear split appearing. Some were opposed to my own club's Seamie Quigley and his selection to the championship team in the Ulsts. The opposition was not restricted to him but to but Canavan's use of McCusker a late comer to O'Neill 's panel. Derrygonnelly elements of the team are believed to be unhappy too the they were not first calld for certain games. The saga cannot be allowed to continue into next season. The co board has to take some flac as they sat back and thought the lid could be kept on the problems and has done little to help Canavan to deal with the issues he has inherited. THis is compounded by the co board's unofficial proposed to bring O'Neill into Canavan's backroom team. I know for a fact if this path is pursued many of the players will wak away again.

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 390 - 16/07/2012 17:38:17    1219495

Link

good post abc1234

agree totally,these simmering problems have to be dealt as soon as the panel meets in atumn to begin preparations for 2013. I am not surprised that the selection of Seamie Quigley divided opinons,i am sure other forwards who trained all year were angry at his appearance against Down given his behaviour for 2 weeks before that match. Be surprised if the bringing of of Decky Mc Cusker against Cavan created much tension though within the panel,while i dont think he should have been brought on as we had Eamon Maguire and James Sherry on bench,it wasnt a major controversional decision.

Players who have issues need to air them with Canavan,get it out and open then forget about it and move on,its the past and let it stay in the past,we have had enough dark days!!!

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 901 - 16/07/2012 18:11:55    1219562

Link

macca you don't know half of it as Seamie had to endure the jealously of other players particularly from the O'Neill boys of the team. You are judge and jury without knowing the full inside story and you let McCusker of the hook just because he jumped ship Being a gooid boy isn't a reason to field someone when there is superior players on the bench. You don't even mention the reasoning as to why Derrygonnelly's Ward was left on the bench until nearly the end of an important game when it was obvious he should have been started considering how well he played when he did eventuially come on. You also say that this O'Neill problem must be sorted out at the beginning of next season and get it out of the way. What do you think was going on all season only to sort it and suddenly a magic wand will be waved by Canavan in October and problem will disappear. I don't share your theory as it has festered too long and I cannot see an easy solution.

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 390 - 16/07/2012 20:32:07    1219765

Link

If anything sums up the failing of the new management this is it...

Hoganstand.com Gaelic football ratings (July 16):

1. CORK (-1)
2. DONEGAL (-2)
3. DUBLIN (-3)
4. TYRONE (↑8)
5. MAYO (↓4)
6. DOWN (-6)
7. MEATH (-7)
8. KILDARE (↑9)
9. KERRY (↓5)
10. LAOIS (↑16)
11. ANTRIM (↑18)
12. LIMERICK (↑21)
13. SLIGO (↓10)
14. TIPPERARY (↑19)
15. LEITRIM (↑24)
16. CLARE (↑20)
17. WESTMEATH (-17)
18. WEXFORD (↓11)
19. LONGFORD (↓12)
20. MONAGHAN (↓13)
21. ROSCOMMON (↓15)
22. GALWAY (↓14)
23. CAVAN (-23)
24. WICKLOW (↓22)
25. ARMAGH (-25)
26. DERRY (-26)
27. LOUTH (-27)
28. FERMANAGH (-28)
29. CARLOW (-29)
30. LONDON (-30)
31. OFFALY (-31)
32. WATERFORD (-32)
33. NEW YORK (-33)
34. KILKENNY (-34)

Therefore after all the money thrown at Fermanagh there is NO CHANGE from last year!

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 17/07/2012 10:26:15    1220018

Link

Don't you guys think this is a bit boring now? County season over, in a nut shell promotion achieved, championship not great. Build for 2013.

FermandCoa (Fermanagh) - Posts: 30 - 17/07/2012 12:14:54    1220151

Link

FermandCoa I cannot believe you made that last statement given the release of the above figures. I believed that promotion would have lifted Fermanagh up the scale but it's stalemate if those figures are correct. How could anyone be satisfed with parking the Fermanagh team problems believing they will go away?

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 390 - 17/07/2012 13:19:55    1220254

Link

would ya's get a life! we are the smallest populated gaa county in ireland, we often over achieve, some day hopefully soon we might get an exceptional batch of players coming together at the right time which will give us a run like 2004 but untill then, we have no right to be any higher than where we are at! END OF STORY. quit your rants about management, its not the pressing issue.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 265 - 17/07/2012 15:22:54    1220481

Link

abc1234 Yes Its a pity if Seamie was given a hard time by certain players who played under O Neill,however I do remember Barry Owens interview in Irish News prior to the championship whereby he praised Quigley and complimented his ability,so was this just a smokescreen to the press??as Owens would seem to be one of the disgruntled players from 2011 fallout!! Even if Quigley had unfair treatment from certain players it still wouldnt excuse behaviour in run up to Down match.

I appreciate that this problem his been there since Canavan began and despite whatever efforts made throughout his tenure so far to sort it, the issue still remains and there is no easy way to fix the problem.
However look at the high profile fallouts in both Cork and Limerick hurling squads in the last few years,both were of a higher scale than Fermanagh 2011 as there was serious divides within these teams yet both have now moved on and progressed as a team for their county.
With some common sense this issue can be resolved before 2013 season,players should air all their grievances to management and squad as fair but it now comes down to what is more important to the discontent players, their own personal pride or the pride and privilege of success for their county??? At the end of the day every player has something in common,the desire to do well in the green jersey of Fermanagh!!we need a united panel to achieve this

FermanaghCoa is right this situation is dragging on too long,lets look forward to building in 2013, with some good league fixtures against Meath, Monaghan and Cavan,progress can be made in the county

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 901 - 18/07/2012 08:31:43    1221093

Link

Is Peter Canavan attending the club championship games and if not why not?

Jacob86 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 244 - 28/07/2012 15:10:21    1231250

Link

Where was Peter Canavan at the weekend? Surely his contract as county manager would require him to show an interest in observing the the county's top club competitions.

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 390 - 30/07/2012 09:52:29    1233114

Link

Seen Canavan at Brewster on Sunday!

hggujkouihk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 12 - 01/08/2012 18:34:05    1235900

Link

Ive been to a few Fermanagh Club games this year mostly games involving Devenish as i have a connection to the village of Garrison and i have been to a few Erne gaels games as well. I have followed this current Devenish team for a few years now not really as a supporter more an interested spectator due to the nature of their play and the exciting young footballers they produced in recent years. This year i must say they have largely disappointed as they havent played anything like the football they played in previous years. Not sure what the reason for this is as i dont know any of the players or management team personally but one thing i have noticed is the performances of their full back Anthony McGuinness. He has been outstanding in all of the games i have attended and i was wondering why he has been overlooked by the county management setup. I understand he didnt play much club football last year for unknown reasons that is probably why he wasnt involved this year with county but he has definately been the standout player for Devenish this year and would be a useful addition to to any county panel especially Fermanagh

Fermanaghman1 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 7 - 18/08/2012 14:29:32    1247347

Link

25/09/2012 09:33:11
hairyhorse
County: Fermanagh

1272232 Rory Gallagher has done the business for Donegal. Note the high praise from players and J Mcguinness. Could he not be headhunted to help his native county? Canavan was a good player but hasn't cut it as a manager yet. Rory was a brilliant player and now has proved himself as management material also
25/09/2012 17:41:18
ShowsFair

1272665 Do you think he'd want to come to Fermanagh? I think his response would offend. Why leave a tea that's currently number 1 in Ireland.
27/09/2012 10:12:48
irlande

1273596 I'd imagine he'll be with Donegal for the next two years at least

Would it not be a better idea to add Gallagher to O'Neilll and forget about Canavan?

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 27/09/2012 11:13:43    1273631

Link