USA Forum

Which Visa to apply for?

(Oldest Posts First)

Im looking to go to America early 2011, havent decided on which city yet!
Anyone on any advice on which visa to apply for?
I'm looking to play some ball when im out there.
Was hoping to stay on after the football season had finished.

boyle782 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1 - 03/10/2010 20:25:14    789439


Try the "dont get caught" visa like everybody else

willywonka (USA) - Posts: 50 - 03/10/2010 21:13:01    789488


The old jet-ski from canada is always the best every time

Mortise (UK) - Posts: 134 - 20/10/2010 13:33:00    800250


Forget the comedians above me here...their material leaves a lot to be desired. I would advise trying to secure a J1 visa, an 18 month one if possible. This gives you plenty of time to figure out the longer plan and perhaps apply for an H1-B or something similar after the 18 months.

Shinkicker (USA) - Posts: 145 - 20/10/2010 17:18:09    800484


It depends a lot on what education you have boyle782. Do you have a college degree and are you a recent graduate (within the last year)? You could apply for a J-Visa. If you have a degree (or higher) but are not a recent grad you can apply for a H1B visa but you have to have an American company sponsor you and they are not too easy to find at the moment. If you have no degree there really is no visa you can apply for other than the diversity lottery which, as the name suggests, it a bit like winning the lottery. Plenty of Irish work here without papers but it has lots of pitfalls.

Google Emerald Isle Immigration Center and give them a call they'll answer all your questions.

pauk123 (USA) - Posts: 188 - 21/10/2010 19:46:29    801386


do u have to b asked to play for teams out there, i heard there is a few boys from the tyrone minor squad who won the all-ireland there a month ago looking to go to america to play ball , anyone no wat way it works

all_ireland (Tyrone) - Posts: 14 - 04/11/2010 12:43:04    809403


@all-ireland: Clubs are always looking for players coming out, especially county players. Clubs can be contacted directly.

Shinkicker (USA) - Posts: 145 - 04/11/2010 16:30:11    809622


What about marriage. There's another route for ye.

greenhead (USA) - Posts: 51 - 05/11/2010 08:54:38    810009