UK Forum

Player Recruitment

(Oldest Posts First)

Ok, so I know the situation over here is very different to home but I can't help but feel a bit annoyed at the efforts some clubs will go to to get players in who aren't living anywhere near those clubs and bascially taking them away from their nearest clubs. Yes, players are totally free to sign for whoever they like but, as has been said on here previously, one or two players can make all the difference to an intermediate or junior club as opposed to be stuck playing reserve team football with a bigger club. I know this has probably always been the case and even though my club are probably going to lose a couple of potential players this way this season, our club will still survive and hopefully move forward. But it is probably fair to say that without any formal rules regarding club territories, such as exist at home, then we are always going to be at a disadvantage.

WideBall1 (UK) - Posts: 97 - 14/01/2013 14:32:22    1318142

Link

few years ago there were a few lads coming on here looking for a team over Berkshire direction, Anthonys were the nearest team but at that time they were in poor shape and people were advising the lads to join some of the bigger teams in West Lonodn. Luckily the lads were just happy to play ball and joined their local team and gradually Anthoys got much better and are now serious contenders for teh junior championship, may not have been if these guys joined the team stehy were being advised to. Likewise Cuchullainns, rumours of Eastwood and Kelly going to big senior teams, but they stuck with Cu's and look at the year they had last year. Two good footballers can make a huge difference to a smaller club and when others see the team doing well they are likely to join as well.
One of the things that annoys what happens at Robert Emmetts, tehy get a few very good hurlers signing for them, then when the its found out they are good footballers as well they play for a senior team instead of playing for Robert Emmetts footballers. Emmetts have been struggling at football and if these lads were to play they big ball for them they would improve greatly.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 1945 - 14/01/2013 16:57:25    1318258

Link