Offaly Forum

Tullamore beat Birr again.

(Oldest Posts First)

Anyone at the hurling? Tullamore beat Birr. Again! Go on the town

Rhodejim (Offaly) - Posts: 2888 - 20/09/2010 09:42:36    778551

Link

Indeed I was Jim. Fair play to Tullamore, they have that spirit and determination in knock out football or hurling that is hard to match.
Backs hurled well, midfield struggled for spells, but were dominant for last 15 mins. Up front Dooley was the main man, not expected to work for ball, the others graft their socks off in order to make space for him to operate.
Birr were very poor, especially in the forwards. Shocking display from them and I would say they will struggle to win the championship for a few years.
I would be confident of Tullamore winning their semi final, but would question whether they could beat Coolderry in the final.

However will leave the deeper analysis to the more knowledgeable hurling folk, (whereever they are?).I suspect they are debating this elsewhere!

curious George (Offaly) - Posts: 861 - 20/09/2010 12:19:58    778768

Link

Indeed, we'l lave them boys to the talking! I wonder will this win for Tullamore help or hinder there footballers? I was honestly expecting Birr to win and i thought the footballers would get a few hurlers back. Its some achievment for the Town. would love to see them win the hurling, not so much the footballers!!

Rhodejim (Offaly) - Posts: 2888 - 20/09/2010 12:47:58    778829

Link

ha wonder why ya wouldnt want them winning the football but after rhodes display against ferban anyones a threat to ye ... good to see a change from the birr domination of the past just like the all-ireland football, predictability ruins sport its good to see a bit of a mix up going on its anyones cup now.

faithful4ever (Offaly) - Posts: 209 - 20/09/2010 16:25:19    779214

Link

You don't really like Dooley do you George?

tonorio (Offaly) - Posts: 584 - 21/09/2010 14:33:46    780248

Link

Do you disagree with my analysis Tonrio? He is unwilling to fight for dirty ball, and he stays behind his man. However, there is no doubt as a finisher he has talent, if Tullamore wish him to stay out of trouble and pick up the loose balls, then fair enough. Cant say I dislike the chap though!
For him to thrive and drive us on at county level he will have to up the work rate, but he aint alone (in terms of forwards) in that regard.

curious George (Offaly) - Posts: 861 - 21/09/2010 14:41:31    780266

Link

I do disagree. When the tough got going in the second half Shane went lookin and winning the dirty ball. He kept Rory Hanniffy quiet when he went out centre forward. Sure he was booked for chopping down on Rory, not bad for someone who doesn't go looking for dirty ball. He also got a couple of important hooks and flicks on defenders trying to clear. I agree he used to avoid this part of the game but it is something he has worked on as well as his strength.

As for playing from behind all Offaly corner forwards do this. It is the way they are coached. Joe Bergin does it but i don't hear you complaining about him. Compare the attitude of the 2 of them on Saturday when the going got tough.

I really don't see what your problem is with Dooley is, he is the best hurler in the county and we could do with more of him

tonorio (Offaly) - Posts: 584 - 21/09/2010 18:00:57    780538

Link

Problem is we have more like him, who wont fight for their own ball, I dont know how you can clasify a "chop down" as getting stuck in?
too many of our forwards stand behind their men and want handy ball, he is a good finisher though, and deserves his place with Offaly, but the yardstick game was against Tipp. And he was anonymous. I stick to my guns in that the other forwards did the spadework, and I know others at the game who observed this too.
But best of luck to them, I think they will beat KK on Sunday also.

curious George (Offaly) - Posts: 861 - 30/09/2010 14:13:29    787565

Link

You are judging him on the Tipp game? Name me 1 player who played well that day. Why not judge him on the Galway replay when he was driving the team on when he went to centre forward. , or the first day when he gave Ollie Canning a roasting or the 1-12 he scored against Antrim or the 2-12 he scored against Dublin in the league in a game we had to win to saty up. I love it when he shuts the begrudgers, like you, up. Hopefully he can do it Sunday again.

tonorio (Offaly) - Posts: 584 - 30/09/2010 15:13:27    787620

Link

Congratulations to Tullamore for reaching another final. They used the extra man very cleverly and finished the game very strong, which is to be expected by teams trained by Vinnie Weir. Coolderry will be very tough in the final but they are the only traditional power we havent beaten in the last 2 years. It proves last year was no fluke. All the best to the lads in the final

tonorio (Offaly) - Posts: 584 - 04/10/2010 10:07:57    789593

Link