Monaghan Forum

Can Monaghan GAA Stand By Their Man?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To HB245:  "Banty absolutely got it wrong against Cavan. No denying that. Us getting relegated from Division 1 would have been another stick to beat him with and you know it!
Now who are the 6 that you would give regular game time to? The only ones I could see fit to play championship football are Lavelle and Woods, possibly Mulligan. None are ready to be starters yet. If you've paid attention to the club scene, Chris McGuiness has been the best scoring forward, on the second best team in Monaghan, for what, 6 years now? I see no problem adding him. As for Carey, he didn't start in the biggest game of the year, so not sure what your gripe is there."
To say Banty "got it wrong" against Cavan is a bit of an understatement. The biggest game of the year. Was it bad tactics, no tactics, panic or what? Now his backroom team seem to have gone and the players have been dragged into an embarassing illegal training session.
That's pretty much everything that could have gone wrong having gone wrong.

I'm generally not a fan of criticising people or players but sometimes criticism is justified and this is one of those cases. People who weren't in favour of his return knew this sort of thing was going to happen. And, no surprises, it has.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 70 - 15/04/2021 10:21:27    2337262

Link

Replying To HB245:  "Banty absolutely got it wrong against Cavan. No denying that. Us getting relegated from Division 1 would have been another stick to beat him with and you know it!
Now who are the 6 that you would give regular game time to? The only ones I could see fit to play championship football are Lavelle and Woods, possibly Mulligan. None are ready to be starters yet. If you've paid attention to the club scene, Chris McGuiness has been the best scoring forward, on the second best team in Monaghan, for what, 6 years now? I see no problem adding him. As for Carey, he didn't start in the biggest game of the year, so not sure what your gripe is there."
The only one who denied that Banty got it wrong against Cavan was Banty. If you remember he laid the blame at the door of the players:

"There's not a doubt about it. We've only ourselves to blame. We were seven points up at half-time. And we got turned over time after time when we went into the web - we talked about not going into the web at half-time and keep the ball. It's a very, very disappointing day for us."

Tactics were right, it was the players fault for not doing what they were told.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 399 - 15/04/2021 15:02:35    2337308

Link

Will Donie Buckley face a suspension for travelling from Ennis to Corduff to take the collective team training session?

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 498 - 17/04/2021 08:36:57    2337476

Link

See banty got another 12 weeks from the GAA and home advantage forfeited v armagh not that it matters

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1520 - 18/04/2021 22:42:59    2337785

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Will Donie Buckley face a suspension for travelling from Ennis to Corduff to take the collective team training session?"
Donie was never in Corduff. Like the 'dream team' of 2020, his primary role is to allow his name be used to add credibility to the management setup. Sessions were led by the in-house coach.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 745 - 19/04/2021 10:37:28    2337817

Link

Best thing for monaghan football and its future is donegal or tyrone out of the hat later on and the end of banty 2.0. We all know nothing good will come from it so better to cut our losses and move on as quickly as possible.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1520 - 20/04/2021 12:03:06    2338006

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Best thing for monaghan football and its future is donegal or tyrone out of the hat later on and the end of banty 2.0. We all know nothing good will come from it so better to cut our losses and move on as quickly as possible."
Cavan again please. Just to make sure.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 745 - 20/04/2021 13:07:10    2338019

Link

Fermanagh with winners v likely Armagh repeat of 2019 qualifiers. Probably similar outcome.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1520 - 20/04/2021 20:37:39    2338113

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Fermanagh with winners v likely Armagh repeat of 2019 qualifiers. Probably similar outcome."
Hopefully,to end the nightmare and begin the journey to return us to the top table..

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 143 - 21/04/2021 01:13:49    2338149

Link

Considering the shambles of last year and if they have any pride in the Jersey at all, there should be a response sufficient to get to the final. A realistic target for a Division 1 team IMO, Certainly I would expect that to be Armagh's target too

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 833 - 21/04/2021 13:22:13    2338200

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Best thing for monaghan football and its future is donegal or tyrone out of the hat later on and the end of banty 2.0. We all know nothing good will come from it so better to cut our losses and move on as quickly as possible."
Some attitude that! Waste another year of Conor McManus while we're still lucky enough to have him! As soon as that man hangs them up, we're straight back down to Division 2 and 3.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 90 - 21/04/2021 17:19:07    2338249

Link

Replying To HB245:  "Some attitude that! Waste another year of Conor McManus while we're still lucky enough to have him! As soon as that man hangs them up, we're straight back down to Division 2 and 3."
It's the monaghan county board wasting the final years of his career landing him with a div 4 intercounty standard manager for his final championship matches playing for monaghan. I was talking about the good of the future of monaghan football. I dont see anything good happening this year with banty and his tiresome antics his being banned for the ulster quarter final the latest chapter so I'd like to see a new man in place in 22 who can build a team clearly in transition. The longer banty stays the harder the next man's job will be. Just my opinion you don't have to agree with it beauty of a supporters forum.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1520 - 21/04/2021 21:51:06    2338282

Link

With banty missing the Fermanagh game, surely he will announce he's drafting in Filippo Giovagnoli, now that he's lost the Dundalk gig? #strongbackroomteam

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 399 - 22/04/2021 07:41:42    2338303

Link

Replying To moodoo:  "With banty missing the Fermanagh game, surely he will announce he's drafting in Filippo Giovagnoli, now that he's lost the Dundalk gig? #strongbackroomteam"
Throw in Jose Mourinho as well

barroboys (Louth) - Posts: 92 - 22/04/2021 13:16:41    2338362

Link

Season predictions
League
Armagh Lose
Tyrone Lose
Donegal Lose

Champ
Fermanagh Draw, Win replay
Armagh Lose

Exactly in line with management's all-time record

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 745 - 22/04/2021 21:08:32    2338450

Link

Any word of any newcomers to the panel or any men standing out. Surely banty has a few bolters he has seen at his trainings since Christmas.

Would be good to see Lavelle get a run in midfield with kearns. Maybe o hanlon get a fee good games and maybe mc allister, irwin, mulligan stand up and get serious game time in league.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 225 - 23/04/2021 13:53:00    2338521

Link