Monaghan Forum

Tyrone v Monaghan

(Oldest Posts First)

Couldnt get a tougher start. Time to start building for this game. Any thoughts?

mrsme (USA) - Posts: 172 - 19/10/2017 20:58:46    2056352

Link

Replying To mrsme:  "Couldnt get a tougher start. Time to start building for this game. Any thoughts?"
65-35 for Tyrone. Tyrone had the better year last year and looked the better team, but sticking with Micky Harte, losing Sean and having a set back like they did against Dublin may give them a lack of confidence of repeating their success in Ulster for a third year. I sadly think Ulster is going to have a poor few years with neither us two or Donegal looking like contenders to the big boys. Same story as last year, unless we uncover some new lads for the league, it'll be another do nothing year.

Iamlegion666 (Monaghan) - Posts: 285 - 19/10/2017 21:39:32    2056369

Link

Tough draw yes but best time and ground to get them. And they are the elephant in the room for this Monaghan side. They are a good side and have had our number regularly so really gives us something to prove. Really all our chips on table in the first match win and we can look forward to a decent summer lose and we are done. Certainly one for the boys to focus on over the winter.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1545 - 19/10/2017 22:07:22    2056387

Link

"If you want to win ulster you have to beat Tyrone" words of Conor McManus. So why not beat them in their own ground. Nothing better than having 7 month to focus on the Tyrone game. 7 months for Malachy to get a game plan to beat Tyrone.
Most over rated team in the country.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1856 - 19/10/2017 22:25:18    2056404

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  ""If you want to win ulster you have to beat Tyrone" words of Conor McManus. So why not beat them in their own ground. Nothing better than having 7 month to focus on the Tyrone game. 7 months for Malachy to get a game plan to beat Tyrone.
Most over rated team in the country."
Getting a bit nostalgic here but the last time we played Tyrone in Healy Park in an Ulster Championship games was 2011. The crowd got Dick sent off in the first half. We got close and got soaked. And I remember calling it then. This team will never win an Ulster title. Great to be wrong (twice).

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 497 - 20/10/2017 11:35:12    2056503

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  ""If you want to win ulster you have to beat Tyrone" words of Conor McManus. So why not beat them in their own ground. Nothing better than having 7 month to focus on the Tyrone game. 7 months for Malachy to get a game plan to beat Tyrone.
Most over rated team in the country."
Who is overrated? Monaghan! Cavanagh retiring will not have any impact. A great player but he was poor in 2017. Mojnaghan need to find two more decent forwars and then ulster will be in our sight . Mccarthy must start and jack should be dropped if playing poorly

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 511 - 23/10/2017 20:50:41    2057353

Link

Toughest possible opening game, but I've always said that it's better to get Tyrone early than in the final. They tend to improve as the summer goes on, and as was said - you'll need to beat Tyrone to win Ulster, especially these days. They're the better team at present, but tend to be a bit overrated by the media, who lump them in with Dublin, Mayo and Kerry in an apparent "big 4". Their game against Dublin showed they're still well off the top. They'll certainly be strong favourites in Omagh, but we're more than capable of beating them on our day, we've half a year to get ready for it now. Winners of that game will be confident of winning Ulster.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 885 - 23/10/2017 21:05:35    2057359

Link

McCarthy should be one of first names on team sheet he will be 23 next year and if he were from Tyrone he would be a regular in the team by now. Hopefully McGinn is back next year and Mansy after taking league off which I don't care about is raring to go in omagh. Malachy should experiment during league and give lads a rest. Yes div 1 has been great for us but we peaked too early last year and the summer has to be main focus. V difficult with small pick we have to be competitive in div 1 and be in peak form come August.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1545 - 23/10/2017 21:21:20    2057364

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "Who is overrated? Monaghan! Cavanagh retiring will not have any impact. A great player but he was poor in 2017. Mojnaghan need to find two more decent forwars and then ulster will be in our sight . Mccarthy must start and jack should be dropped if playing poorly"
What I mean by overrated is the media hype around them is unbelievable, everyone talked about how, they would be the best placed to beat Dublin. We lost by less than Tyrone did.

People still judging Tyrone by the 00 standards.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1856 - 23/10/2017 21:23:34    2057367

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "What I mean by overrated is the media hype around them is unbelievable, everyone talked about how, they would be the best placed to beat Dublin. We lost by less than Tyrone did.

People still judging Tyrone by the 00 standards."
100% agree shaggy, this is what I was saying all year. I was telling everyone that Dublin would have no issues with them and win handy enough, and most people thought I was mad and that Tyrone were the best placed team to beat them. I think alot of people(and the media are especially guilty of this) of seeing a Mickey Harte managed Tyrone team, and their nostalgia takes them back to the incredible team of the mid-00s. They long to see a Tyrone team challenging at the top table again, but imo this team are still a long way off that, as we seen against Dublin. This isn't trying to run them down or calling them a bad team, it's just in terms of how people were comparing them to Dublin. They've obviously earned the right to be called the best in Ulster and will be strong favourites in Omagh, but we can certainly win this if we start planning from now.

Agree with the talk about McCarthy, he's not the young lad to bring off the bench anymore. He should be one of the first names on the team at this stage. Also hope McGinn is well recovered then and ready to play a bigger role as we need lads like that coming through in the forwards.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 885 - 23/10/2017 21:54:19    2057379

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "What I mean by overrated is the media hype around them is unbelievable, everyone talked about how, they would be the best placed to beat Dublin. We lost by less than Tyrone did.

People still judging Tyrone by the 00 standards."
Agree tyrone overrated so too was monaghan. Remember our much over rated forward - that was hard to listen too.

Two things monaghan need. Stop freezing on big days in croke park and find two good forwards. Sort that and we could reach the seni finals

Going to be tough game v tyrone but Tyrone are beatable

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 511 - 31/10/2017 20:31:00    2059383

Link