Galway Forum

Intermediate Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Ailteoir:  "If I had to resort to something like that I'd have taken up rugby. Or do you think anything goes as long as the end justifies the means?"
So... if you played in a team in a county final & ye were hanging onto a lead very late in the game and the oppositions main man was heading towards goal - you would let him through rather than stop him in his tracks?
I'm glad you aren't a teammate of mine so if that's the case.
You take a card for the team if you want to win it's as simple as that. Same as in any sport.
I've done it myself and I'd do it again if I had to.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 06/10/2020 18:50:01    2296130

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Finnerty had a fantastic day against one of county best backs in corofin game. Yet he wasn't allowed have same impact against Moycullen. Some of ur statements appear very uneducated. Dessie Connelly (fantastic player) would not have got his hands on the ball only for team around him played well. Paul Varley got man of match last day, it was joe Donnellan the previous week and the previous week it was David Warde. What I'm trying to explain to you seeing that it needs explaining there's no I in team. Also if you say the rest of K/C played well you need to check ur internet. I'd say picture was frozen. Yet some narrow minded people like to pick out Shane cause he's country captain. Even in County a particular player can only play well if team around him is playing well. Football is all on day for ie I can guarantee you in Finnerty was to come up against Silke again it could be a totally different story. Now M/ B could very possibly win but it could well be someone else getting man of match. The same applies to Mountbellew."
Toman, we're not going to agree on this. So again we're better off agreeing not to agree. You have your say and i have mine.

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 747 - 06/10/2020 20:05:35    2296138

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "Toman, we're not going to agree on this. So again we're better off agreeing not to agree. You have your say and i have mine."
Perfect I can't understand some of ur statemens on Shane Walshe but still respect them. Everyone see things differently.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 571 - 06/10/2020 21:00:13    2296150

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "Toman, we're not going to agree on this. So again we're better off agreeing not to agree. You have your say and i have mine."
Perfect I can't understand some of ur statemens on Shane Walshe but still respect them. Everyone see things differently.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 571 - 06/10/2020 21:00:13    2296151

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "So... if you played in a team in a county final & ye were hanging onto a lead very late in the game and the oppositions main man was heading towards goal - you would let him through rather than stop him in his tracks?
I'm glad you aren't a teammate of mine so if that's the case.
You take a card for the team if you want to win it's as simple as that. Same as in any sport.
I've done it myself and I'd do it again if I had to."
If you have to pull someone down without being able to slow them down within the rules, I'd suggest it's time you either got fitter or moved further out the field where you'd do less harm.

So....here's a question for you. It's late in the game, a teammate of yours in the forwards is through on goal when an opponent "stops him in his tracks". Do you say to yourself, "Fair play to him, he took one for his team there?"

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 786 - 06/10/2020 21:47:45    2296158

Link

Replying To Ailteoir:  "If you have to pull someone down without being able to slow them down within the rules, I'd suggest it's time you either got fitter or moved further out the field where you'd do less harm.

So....here's a question for you. It's late in the game, a teammate of yours in the forwards is through on goal when an opponent "stops him in his tracks". Do you say to yourself, "Fair play to him, he took one for his team there?""
I have to say on this one definitely; take one for team;. Even if it happened to a teammate. Anyone that's says they wouldn't do same thing on spur of moment needs reality check. As for fitness the country player in question is extremely fit, The biggest problem I'd have is the person in question should not be on the field ie should have been black carded.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 571 - 07/10/2020 07:54:11    2296183

Link

Replying To Ailteoir:  "If you have to pull someone down without being able to slow them down within the rules, I'd suggest it's time you either got fitter or moved further out the field where you'd do less harm.

So....here's a question for you. It's late in the game, a teammate of yours in the forwards is through on goal when an opponent "stops him in his tracks". Do you say to yourself, "Fair play to him, he took one for his team there?""
I'll take that one. Yes, that's exactly what you'd say, because you would do the same in their position. That's sport. There are no medals for being gallant.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 495 - 07/10/2020 09:16:42    2296187

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "I'll take that one. Yes, that's exactly what you'd say, because you would do the same in their position. That's sport. There are no medals for being gallant."
Would you indeed? Nothing gallant about it from my perspective. I'd regard any back who likes to pull down an opponent as a liability.

But then again, maybe you're right. You've given me a whole new perspective on the the tackles that Mickey Ned O'Sullivan received in the '75 final. Fair play to those Dublin fellas for taking one for the team!

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 786 - 07/10/2020 21:15:33    2296321

Link

Replying To Ailteoir:  "Would you indeed? Nothing gallant about it from my perspective. I'd regard any back who likes to pull down an opponent as a liability.

But then again, maybe you're right. You've given me a whole new perspective on the the tackles that Mickey Ned O'Sullivan received in the '75 final. Fair play to those Dublin fellas for taking one for the team!"
A back ,defending a two point lead in injury time, who wouldn't pull down an opponent as he headed for goal would be a liability for me.
Cynical I know but it is what it is until the rule changes. Cynical play at the end of a game is not being punished on the scoreboard and until that happens players will take their black cards and see out the game.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 342 - 08/10/2020 09:31:46    2296354

Link

Replying To Ailteoir:  "Would you indeed? Nothing gallant about it from my perspective. I'd regard any back who likes to pull down an opponent as a liability.

But then again, maybe you're right. You've given me a whole new perspective on the the tackles that Mickey Ned O'Sullivan received in the '75 final. Fair play to those Dublin fellas for taking one for the team!"
A back ,defending a two point lead in injury time, who wouldn't pull down an opponent as he headed for goal would be a liability for me.
Cynical I know but it is what it is until the rule changes. Cynical play at the end of a game is not being punished on the scoreboard and until that happens players will take their black cards and see out the game.

fearruanua (Galway) - Posts: 342 - 08/10/2020 09:35:31    2296355

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "I'll take that one. Yes, that's exactly what you'd say, because you would do the same in their position. That's sport. There are no medals for being gallant."
Kill/Clon should have known after the semi final that Shane (scoreless from play in that game) would have to play at CF and live off whatever scraps came his way. With the wind he should have been much closer to goal. Cortoon were the better team and the better setup team.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1041 - 08/10/2020 10:36:25    2296370

Link

varley was cynical at the end of the game and should have been dealt with by the referee before the melee broke out. However the dirty act of the game came from the K/C full back. kicking an opponent on the ground is unacceptable. The incident should be reviewed and a lengthy ban enforced.

kevinmac (Galway) - Posts: 1 - 09/10/2020 12:54:04    2296556

Link

Replying To fearruanua:  "A back ,defending a two point lead in injury time, who wouldn't pull down an opponent as he headed for goal would be a liability for me.
Cynical I know but it is what it is until the rule changes. Cynical play at the end of a game is not being punished on the scoreboard and until that happens players will take their black cards and see out the game."
Fully agree on everything you say there except one thing, the ref did not issue a black card when he should have. Also this referee blew it up early as he lost control. Personally for a cynical fowl like that the ball should be brought in to 14 yard line and an extra 2 minutes added. I also think cortoon were better set up and yes Share should be in forward line.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 571 - 09/10/2020 18:10:50    2296618

Link