Galway Forum

Galway V Donegal

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To PopeFrancis19:  "I watch them training regularly, its refreshing positive football all the way. It seems PJ is picking the starting 15 from the training games. Mikey Boyle, Finnerty, O 'Donnell and Steed since he's come in, are among the standout players in the training games, which is why they're being picked for the starting 15. Boyle, despite the stick he receives on this forum sometimes, looks like an exceptional talent, and one who will thrive later on in the Summer. Incidentally Patrick Kelly was excellent in a few of the earlier challenge games, yet his training form has tailed away a bit since. Sean Andy is coming right back into form over the past 3 weeks, and could yet win back the no.3 spot."
Great to hear about Sean Andy. I think he can be a top class player. His raw power is very important but agreed he was off the pace last year.

Mikey Boyle showed glimpses of class against Monaghan when on the ball (Rob finnertys goal). I am a bit concerned about his defensive ability/workrate off the ball and how he gets himself into a game. I think that will come to him (if he is willing to listen) and while he has probably been our worst performer in the league to date PJ is right to try and develop him if he thinks the talent is there.

Would u be interested in giving weekly training updates Pope!!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 12/02/2020 15:14:19    2267329

Link

Replying To TheBishop:  "'Boyle looks like an exceptional talent' I assume you're basing that on training as there's been nothing from what we've seen so far to suggest he his, PJ does know a thing or two about forwards so he's obviously seen something in him."
Why isn't Patrick Kelly with the u20 if hes underage

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1178 - 12/02/2020 15:33:18    2267338

Link

Replying To TheBishop:  "'Boyle looks like an exceptional talent' I assume you're basing that on training as there's been nothing from what we've seen so far to suggest he his, PJ does know a thing or two about forwards so he's obviously seen something in him."
You could be right but at the moment it looks like a case of having someone from my own club there.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 482 - 12/02/2020 15:35:00    2267340

Link

Replying To Toman:  "You could be right but at the moment it looks like a case of having someone from my own club there."
He does seem to be a bit out of his depth. It's fair enough to give lads chances but when a player like varley has to sit on the bench after his excellent start to the year, it does seem to be a a bit unfair on others. In all fairness, it is hard to see the lad playing a role come championship (for this year at least)

Lasvegas (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 13/02/2020 16:14:36    2267541

Link

Replying To Lasvegas:  "He does seem to be a bit out of his depth. It's fair enough to give lads chances but when a player like varley has to sit on the bench after his excellent start to the year, it does seem to be a a bit unfair on others. In all fairness, it is hard to see the lad playing a role come championship (for this year at least)"
Which Varley? The dropper?

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 493 - 13/02/2020 17:20:02    2267552

Link

I would expect 3 changes for Tyrone game Flynn for steed Brannigan for o Laoi
Varley for Boyle

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 13/02/2020 17:21:16    2267553

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Which Varley? The dropper?"
Yes, the varley that shows for the ball and always gets out in front... if ya watch his runs off the ball you will understand why he always has a lot of space receiving. He has dropped a good bit of ball in the last couple of games but I think game time for him would be far more valuable than game time for boyle!... much more of a presence and links up very well with walsh!

Lasvegas (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 13/02/2020 17:47:18    2267555

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Which Varley? The dropper?"
Dont know what game u were watching or at this year to call varley a dropper. I was at roscommon v galway fbd game and Man of match was between Walsh and Varley. The Kerry league game we would probably have won if Varley started. He changed the game when introduced.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 482 - 13/02/2020 18:24:25    2267561

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "How could you make it out that the ball crossed the line?
Totally inconclusive watching on tv.. Murphy was complaining about the pick off the ground..."
Yes 100% correct, Murphy was complaining about the pick up.

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 13/02/2020 22:43:30    2267593

Link

Replying To Lasvegas:  "Yes, the varley that shows for the ball and always gets out in front... if ya watch his runs off the ball you will understand why he always has a lot of space receiving. He has dropped a good bit of ball in the last couple of games but I think game time for him would be far more valuable than game time for boyle!... much more of a presence and links up very well with walsh!"
Been really impressed with Varley. Always out in front, great movement and great linking of play. His handling has not been great but that will come.

Didn't like the comment about Boyle being picked because he's from PJ's club. I think its a bit early for those type of comments. Boyle hasn't been good but I think it is fair enough to give a player a few games before making a decision on him. Especially young players when there is high potential for improvement and a good underage pedigree.

Ian Burke on top form thrown into our current forward line would really have them purring.

Great to hear that PJ had a team night out in Tralee after Kerry game. For all the sports science (which I am a fan of) team spirit is a hugely important part of any team sport. By all accounts he seems to be taking a holistic approach to management.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 14/02/2020 08:54:31    2267611

Link

varley is a great man to win ball out in front or on the diagonal but he is not a good score getter
finnerty, comer, walsh, brannigan offer more scores and mike daly is hot and miss but with what he brings to the party he has to be ahead of mikey boyle certainly

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 14/02/2020 12:05:50    2267646

Link

I know PJ has tried a number of midfielders during the FBD and League including Flynn, FOC, D'Arcy and Steede but none of them have really impressed so far so I think there is definitely a place on this team for Enda Tierney to stake his claim as he has some previous intercounty experience and is in great form currently. What do posters here think?

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2344 - 14/02/2020 14:11:22    2267674

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Been really impressed with Varley. Always out in front, great movement and great linking of play. His handling has not been great but that will come.

Didn't like the comment about Boyle being picked because he's from PJ's club. I think its a bit early for those type of comments. Boyle hasn't been good but I think it is fair enough to give a player a few games before making a decision on him. Especially young players when there is high potential for improvement and a good underage pedigree.

Ian Burke on top form thrown into our current forward line would really have them purring.

Great to hear that PJ had a team night out in Tralee after Kerry game. For all the sports science (which I am a fan of) team spirit is a hugely important part of any team sport. By all accounts he seems to be taking a holistic approach to management."
Well what ur saying is been contrived. You are saying Boyle hasn't been brilliant but give him game time. But is that game time at the expense of someone (varley)who has made a great start this year.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 482 - 14/02/2020 14:17:01    2267679

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "varley is a great man to win ball out in front or on the diagonal but he is not a good score getter
finnerty, comer, walsh, brannigan offer more scores and mike daly is hot and miss but with what he brings to the party he has to be ahead of mikey boyle certainly"
Referring to player as "hot and miss" is mixing the metaphors "hit and miss" with "hot and cold". Not a bad mistake as we know what you mean, but mixing metaphors can be risky like the lad who said " you play ball with me, and i'll scratch yours"

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 126 - 14/02/2020 15:36:49    2267699

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I know PJ has tried a number of midfielders during the FBD and League including Flynn, FOC, D'Arcy and Steede but none of them have really impressed so far so I think there is definitely a place on this team for Enda Tierney to stake his claim as he has some previous intercounty experience and is in great form currently. What do posters here think?"
He may get a chance again, but had it before and didnt impress, plus remember he was playing intermediate club all year, a long way senior intercounty.. As you see with Steede it's a massive step up..

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 238 - 14/02/2020 15:53:12    2267705

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Been really impressed with Varley. Always out in front, great movement and great linking of play. His handling has not been great but that will come.

Great to hear that PJ had a team night out in Tralee after Kerry game. For all the sports science (which I am a fan of) team spirit is a hugely important part of any team sport. By all accounts he seems to be taking a holistic approach to management."
Yep, the drink is no harm! You can't beat good team morale and you see rugby players do it all the time as athletes that train as hard as these lads wont be long getting it out of their system. There seems to a great vibe coming out of the camp this year and hopefully it continues into the summer

Lasvegas (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 14/02/2020 18:54:32    2267734

Link

Replying To PopeFrancis19:  "I watch them training regularly, its refreshing positive football all the way. It seems PJ is picking the starting 15 from the training games. Mikey Boyle, Finnerty, O 'Donnell and Steed since he's come in, are among the standout players in the training games, which is why they're being picked for the starting 15. Boyle, despite the stick he receives on this forum sometimes, looks like an exceptional talent, and one who will thrive later on in the Summer. Incidentally Patrick Kelly was excellent in a few of the earlier challenge games, yet his training form has tailed away a bit since. Sean Andy is coming right back into form over the past 3 weeks, and could yet win back the no.3 spot."
Mikey Boyle and Steed have been very poor in training the corofin boys seem to be struggling at county level good club players though.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 463 - 14/02/2020 21:06:19    2267751

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Well what ur saying is been contrived. You are saying Boyle hasn't been brilliant but give him game time. But is that game time at the expense of someone (varley)who has made a great start this year."
Said I would give a lad a proper chance. Not just one game and make a decision. Not everyone that gets a chance will be a success but he it's right to try them. As for it being at Varleys expense, possible the logic is he knows enough about him (ie Good option for championship). Although I think he is getting plenty of game time but I get your point, someone else isn't getting game time.

I think PJ is doing all right so far.

Don't understand what u mean by contrived....... possible the curse of auto correct.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 14/02/2020 23:20:28    2267775

Link

It's one thing a lad flying it in training but that needs to be brought into competitive game time. With what ur saying so Varley must be going poorly in training when hes not picked to start. One thing for sure hes not going poorly when he did start or was introduced in competitive games.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 482 - 14/02/2020 23:46:21    2267778

Link