Galway Forum

Closing The Gap With Dublin

(Oldest Posts First)

Dublin are a wonderful team. Full of naturally talented footballers that have been let play the game the way it should be. Gavin has always stuck to the core principles of attacking football and it has paid off. Most coaches up and down the country have taken a different route and have sent their sides out to stop the opposition from scoring by deploying defensive blankets which are killing the game. As a spectacle, the game is dying.

These coaches are clueless and are destroying the great game of gaelic football. They should be shown the door in every club and county set-up immediately if the game is to be saved. Every coach in the game should model their game plans to mirror Dublin at county and corofin at club level. No county team will ever stop this brilliant Dublin team unless there is a radical change in thinking.

Tyrone were cruelly exposed yesterday by Dublin when they went out to take on Dublin man to man. The ploy was brave but you just can't revert from playing defensive football for years to attacking football overnight. The trick now for Tyrone is to continue with the attacking style. Concentrate on the skills of the game and encourage the most talented players to express themselves.

All other teams should follow suit. It's only then that the gap will close, attendances will rise again and we can reclaim the game from the rugby league/basketball style coaches who have invested the game.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 03/09/2018 20:56:38    2138955

Link

Two exhibitions of football this year - Corofin in club final, and Dublin yesterday. Dublin players, apart from being top class footballers, are fantastic athletes; so well conditioned. They are also to a man, ultra competitive, resilient, and confident in their game plan. Jim Gavin keeps adding to the panel - I think the average age of team fielded yesterday was 25, that's lower that the team that won AI in 2011! They have a brilliant defence - with Cian O'Sullivan sweeping. However, they have obvious advantages; AIG sponsorship and ass cart loads of central funding. Central location means all players are just a dart ride to training. In order to improve the game as a spectacle the rules need to be revisited- limit the handpass and outlaw back passing inside own 45.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 387 - 03/09/2018 22:29:56    2138999

Link

Dublin are a wonderful team and well deserving of all the praise they are getting. They do have some natural advantages however that is not their fault and rather than whine we need to try and learn from them. Off the field they have a top class team also.

-Our underage teams seem to be doing well for the last few years. Is this due to a talented crop of players or due to a structured nurturing of talent. I have no idea. If it is due to a structured nurturing of talent we have reason to be hopeful.

-We need to ensure there is some type of player pathway to ensure the young lads get to senior ready to compete. I like what the hurlers do with regards to S&C (S&C is only one aspect of football). Having one man oversee minors to seniors means the program is progressive and each year compliments the year before. Are the footballers doing this? Also can the same approach be taken with skills coaching?

Off the field
-Are we maximising support/sponsorship? Do we need to look at hiring a commercial/marketing director.

-If we had the money the long term vision should be coach education. We have loads of volunteers around the county. Imagine if they were all up-skilled and supported implementing top class coach/development programs. Imagine if every small club got this level of expertise. Rather than sending out coaches, educate the ones that are already there. Invest in them.

I don't mean to use the work educate in any condescending way at all.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1293 - 04/09/2018 09:09:04    2139045

Link

We need to do a lot of work on communication.

1. The Galway Gaa social media is poor. The tribesmen twitter coverage of the club championship is practically non existent. This is the basis of our county team. Live updates. Keep people interested who are not at the games but if they at least hear about them they might actually attend the next one.
People want information straight away, not waiting on Tribune or Tuam herald reports the following week.

2. Our website: Oh where do I start. Just go over to www.mayogaa.ie and see what good looks like. (That is the only praise I will ever give them)

3. I do like the format this year for the club championship and it should make the last few games really competitive. Why not try what tipp are doing this weekend. Pay E15 and you can attend as many games as you want in Senior and Intermediate over the weekend. It would definitely entice me to get of my ass and watch a few more games. This in turn creates a buzz with larger turnouts at games.

4. Get some one. Anyone to lead a commercial unit. We have a huge population in Galway and a vast diaspora. Yet we fall behind many counties. Look at what Connaught rugby have done. Look what Carlow Gaa have done. (Yes they have a commercial manager)

5. There is no one thing will fix all. It will take a many things to get to where Dublin are. What I looked at here is about to get more involved and interested in Galway gaa.

galwaygoal (Galway) - Posts: 105 - 04/09/2018 14:30:33    2139150

Link

Replying To galwaygoal:  "We need to do a lot of work on communication.

1. The Galway Gaa social media is poor. The tribesmen twitter coverage of the club championship is practically non existent. This is the basis of our county team. Live updates. Keep people interested who are not at the games but if they at least hear about them they might actually attend the next one.
People want information straight away, not waiting on Tribune or Tuam herald reports the following week.

2. Our website: Oh where do I start. Just go over to www.mayogaa.ie and see what good looks like. (That is the only praise I will ever give them)

3. I do like the format this year for the club championship and it should make the last few games really competitive. Why not try what tipp are doing this weekend. Pay E15 and you can attend as many games as you want in Senior and Intermediate over the weekend. It would definitely entice me to get of my ass and watch a few more games. This in turn creates a buzz with larger turnouts at games.

4. Get some one. Anyone to lead a commercial unit. We have a huge population in Galway and a vast diaspora. Yet we fall behind many counties. Look at what Connaught rugby have done. Look what Carlow Gaa have done. (Yes they have a commercial manager)

5. There is no one thing will fix all. It will take a many things to get to where Dublin are. What I looked at here is about to get more involved and interested in Galway gaa."
Galway did have a commercial manager but he left a few years ago to work for Connacht Rugby, does anyone know if he was replaced?

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 04/09/2018 14:37:00    2139153

Link

the chief executive of Galway GAA is Mr John Hynes, He is a nice man. But he needs assistance in his job. Also Galway should be looking at replacing Kevin Walsh at the end of next season, and maybe Micheál Donoghue. They have good options in the Galway minor coach- O Fátharta and also Jeff Lynskey for the hurlers. The future is bright.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1930 - 05/09/2018 13:23:08    2139446

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "the chief executive of Galway GAA is Mr John Hynes, He is a nice man. But he needs assistance in his job. Also Galway should be looking at replacing Kevin Walsh at the end of next season, and maybe Micheál Donoghue. They have good options in the Galway minor coach- O Fátharta and also Jeff Lynskey for the hurlers. The future is bright."
It's probably Kevin's last year. He has made Good progress results wise and made huge progress in the strength and conditioning of the team. His failings have been his loyalty towards some players who are not up to scratch at the highest level imo. It's unlikely he will change his style of play at this stage which is a shame and a real missed opportunity for him. Hopefully, Kevin has seen the light at this stage and he gives attacking football a chance for one season at least. Nothing to lose at this stage.

The appointment of the next manager will be crucial. They will have to get the corofin lads on board and that will depend on the style of play and tactical approach going forward. In that regard Rochford, divilly, p Joyce and Alan Flynn would be good canditates as future managers. County board will have to ensure the next manager will sign up to an attacking style. Any canditate who believes in zonal defending and parking buses should be eliminated immediately from the selection process.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 06/09/2018 14:03:20    2139824

Link

It's gas the departure from the 'it's all about results' cliche that has taken place in the last couple of seasons, listening to mouthpieces like Brolly &Spillane etc. Even Micheal Murphy on the Sunday Game show after the final said 'we've kinda I suppose quashed our template in a way, that has got us a bit of success over the last number of years, and we're trying to go out and play a bit more of an attacking brand of football'. "Quashed our template", what an interesting choice of phrase.

Heading into 2019, intercounty managers and mentors need to drop this old nonsense about 'a results driven business', and instead I'm afraid, turn to the crowd periodically during games, Russell Crowe style, and shout, 'are you not entertained'? This latter approach would no doubt have an added poignancy for management teams who've parked the bus in the car park for a change, but find themselves conceding boatloads of scores while adjusting to life without the blanket.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2378 - 06/09/2018 16:24:19    2139856

Link

I've been critical of Kevin Walsh but Galway had a better year than I was expecting, still think we were the second best team in the country and would have beaten Tyrone in the semi final. Galway were beaten by Monaghan a team that needed to win whilst Galway didn't have too. It was a game played in unusual circumstances, can recall thinking Cliffords goal would come back to haunt us and it did otherwise we'd have played a Monaghan team who like ourselves were already through.

We then had a week to prepare for the Dubs who had the luxury of resting 9 of their starting 15 for the next weekend whilst the 6 who did play had a nice run around against the Rossies, nothing intense about it at all. So a Galway team coming of the back of a bad result had a week to prepare for a game against one of the best teams of all time who in turn had 3 weeks preparation.

Galway caused Dublin more problems than anyone else all year, should have had 3 goals in the first 15 minutes and should have gone in at half time with 3-9 on the scoreboard, Tyrone posed no goal threat at all I as expected, their forward line isn't near Galways class in terms of goal scoring threat. It was a familiar theme all year though, Galway missed plenty of goal chance throughout the year, its as aspect of Comer's goal that he needs to work on as a simple pass in both the Kildare and Dublin games would have yielded goals.

Galway need to come away from the defensive tactics and to be fair they did in the Dublin game, naturally there's going to be times in the game where it looks like Galway are been defensive but the Dubs are at the same game. In the second half against Dublin Galway took more chances defensively but ultimately there were knackered which is only natural given the lack of preperation in comparison the their opponents. I think this point is too easily missed by everyone, Galway with a 3 week prepartion would have caused Dublin more problems than Tyrone.

There's certainly a lot to be positive about, its a young team where all the best players are under 25. Tom Flynn & Ian Burke came of age are amongst the best players in the their position. Michael Daly who is one of the best players of his age in the county will hopefully be back fully fit. The team will have a year behind them of Div 1 football and the likes of Sean Andy, Sean Kelly, Peter Cooke, Kieran Molloy & D'Arcy will be better players next year. Then there's the returning Liam Silke and possible return of McDaid. I'm sure there will be a few other younger lads who will make the breakthrough too.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 07/09/2018 11:13:13    2140074

Link

For Galway 2 make the next step and be a consistent top 4 team we need get serious pace into half back line this most important line in modern day football u look at the top teams last number years james McCarthy jack mcaffery Lee kegan all Dublin attack's start there in my opinion Galway need at least 5 top class players who can play in them position need good off the bench also Liam silke , Dylan wall Kieran mailloy McDaid ( if back ) would try Ryan forde there he well able for it also i would try Eamonn Brannighan there don't think he natural forward ( think he better going down the field and I do think he could do a good job there it's all about getting more option to make next step ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 453 - 07/09/2018 15:04:46    2140154

Link

Galway county board should do a 'strategic review' of Galway City about losing numbers to other sports. It should help them with regards to extra funding; Cork & Limerick should do the same.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 08/09/2018 15:51:30    2140349

Link