Galway Forum

The Dark Arts

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Galway have been transformed into a ruthless machine. The top teams all play on the edge. I wouldn't get too concerned with that article. They dished out plenty of cynical stuff. Galway had better footballers and had more discipline. This is what made the difference in the end.

To insinuate that Galway essentially cheated kildare out of victory was a cheap shot and smelled of a guy who can't take his beating. The game was a real battle and a very enjoyable game of football from a spectator's point of view. I don't think it was a nasty game at all. Every ball was contested and the tackling was fierce at times. On top of that, both sides kicked some wonderful scores. The game of the championship so far imo.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 28/07/2018 01:29:29    2126931

Link

look at Clare coming out late deliberately yesterday in extra time. Poor behaviour if you ask me.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1930 - 29/07/2018 13:50:37    2127252

Link

look at Clare coming out late deliberately yesterday in extra time. Poor behaviour if you ask me.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1930 - 29/07/2018 13:50:37    2127253

Link

Replying To WolfeTone:  "There's a big difference between 'cute hoorism' and making a decision to employ cynical tactics and source someone like Paddy Tally to coach this to lads. If the linesmen and umpires are instructed to do their jobs and get involved this Galway team will be in trouble. Galway have been the instigators in all the sendings off against them this year and it's not something to be proud of."
You are making a lot of assumptions. Galway employing Paddy Tally to coach them to be cynical? What evidence have you of that. Paddy Tally gets blamed for everything in Galway football at this stage. Backs have blocked off forwards runs for as long as I can remember. The only referee I can think of that focused on off the ball stuff was the guy in last years Connacht final against Roscommon.

The article was nothing but a hatchet job on Galway. Are Galway angels....No, but they don't do anything that is not being done by every team. Why didn't he make it a general GAA article on the same topic and cite examples across the board rather than focus on Galway.

Regarding the sending off's do me a favour! What could possible justify Diarmuid O'Connors elbow smashing into Paul Conroys face.....someone tugged his jersey!! FFS that sending off was worthy of a 6 month ban. It had the potential to do serious damage. Cillian tried something similiar in the league game but didn't connect properly. Mayo had 3 players sent off against us and they just lost their discipline as they have done in any pressure game they are involved in.

As for Killian Young hitting Ian Burke. Cards on the table I didn't see what Killian Young did but I find it hard to imagine Ian Burke is a master of the so called dark arts!

What are Galway doing that Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, all the Ulster teams don't do?? Remember what Mayo did to us before and during that 17 point hammering? Dublin sitting on the Mayo backs last year. Give me a break.......

Galway have been pushed around for years and have been mocked for being lovely footballers but a soft touch. It would be great if the officials refereed all pulling and dragging correctly but they don't. And until they do we have to look after ourselves. The other counties aren't happy because they know that once we can look after ourselves our skill set is up there with the best. They aren't happy because we are a threat.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1293 - 30/07/2018 09:07:23    2127439

Link

Peter canavan had an article in the indo which he mentioned paddy tally
now as he was coached by him id take his word
and he had great respect for tally
and said there was a lot more to tally than just coaching

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1217 - 31/07/2018 15:36:29    2127907

Link

Replying To EDH:  "You make it sound like Armageddon, but in the last 16 years, 4 under 21All Ireland titles and beaten in a final, one minor, 6 Connachts (Mayo won 8), 4 club All Irelands (Caltra, Salthill and Corofin twice and Killererin beaten in a final), and 8 Connacht club titles, that indicates the club championship is ok. What other county has had five teams competing at that level in that time frame? The championship has been changed this year and you are still complaining.
The issue Galway have had is getting the club winning players into the squad as they have been unavailable until March nearly every year."
Killererin in an all-ireland club final? Tell me more!

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2378 - 31/07/2018 16:28:15    2127920

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Killererin in an all-ireland club final? Tell me more!"
A typo Pope, beaten by an excellent Brigids team in a Connacht club final in 2010(not on Patricks day) who went on later to win the Andy Merrigan, I hope I cleared that up for you.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 357 - 31/07/2018 17:08:47    2127937

Link

Pull and drag merchants don't cut it at the business end. Dubs to put us out easily now.

WolfeTone (Galway) - Posts: 123 - 04/08/2018 20:54:16    2129060

Link

Tyrone brought the dark arts today to a new low. Their mentor who was kitted in a white polo t-shirt would make a run into one of the various spaces that the Donegal keeper was possibly goin to kick into, meaning that Tyrone had 16 white shirts on the field. A new low in my view.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 438 - 05/08/2018 17:57:07    2129497

Link

Replying To WolfeTone:  "Pull and drag merchants don't cut it at the business end. Dubs to put us out easily now."
Would you give it a rest with that silly agenda. If you saw the match closely last night or the match in Ballybofey today the game is no different. The poor showing last night has no correlation with the media spin and mistruths levelled at Galway. You sound like McKenna and O'Rourke. Beaten fair and square but tactical more than the tripe coming from so called journos.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1734 - 05/08/2018 19:26:40    2129594

Link

At least we kept forwards in the forward line today and tried to play football. Lack of ideas up front and poor finishing cost us getting closer.. need to get the balance in training between coaching attacking football and the pulling/dragging/wrestling drills that have been going on this year

WolfeTone (Galway) - Posts: 123 - 11/08/2018 22:33:26    2131997

Link