Galway Forum

Galway Vs Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Townee2018:  "Sorry I just can't agree with that. Heaney is a better footballer technically than O'Donnell. For me, O'Donnell is an athlete first and the football comes second. He's probably one of the better all round athletes on the panel, but his skills aren't as strong and decision making is suspect.

Heaney is technically brilliant. He has 3 scores that spring to mind for me this year that O'Donnell could never conjure up. One v Monaghan when he ran from his own full back line and slotted it from 35-40 yards from the wing. The equaliser in Pearse Stadium v Dublin in the dying minutes (the stones it took to have a pop at that one as well). Then the one off his weaker left from the wing against Kildare last week was just class. Granted he does miss a few, but when he hits them they're often beauties. O'Donnell has mastered the late run up the right wing, and finishes with the side foot tap or hand pass so I'll credit him for that.

This came across as nearly an attack on O'Donnell. It's definitely not, I'm a fan of his, but I don't think he warrants a start at the moment. It just goes to show the strength of our panel we can bring classy players like him off the bench to see out games. The same goes for Army, Varley etc."
"Granted he does miss a few, but when he hits them they're often beauties". Whether it's a beauty or a tap over from the 14, it's worth the same. The fact that he scores these 'beauties' is because he's trying his arm at a shot that isn't on and more often than not, missing. A good, honest worker and to be fair up to now has probably earned his place on the team but I think he must be hanging on by a thread at this stage going on this years championship performances

goalk111 (Galway) - Posts: 40 - 26/07/2018 13:57:40    2126413

Link

Replying To goalk111:  ""Granted he does miss a few, but when he hits them they're often beauties". Whether it's a beauty or a tap over from the 14, it's worth the same. The fact that he scores these 'beauties' is because he's trying his arm at a shot that isn't on and more often than not, missing. A good, honest worker and to be fair up to now has probably earned his place on the team but I think he must be hanging on by a thread at this stage going on this years championship performances"
Biggest problem with this team is that our forwards even our best ones are missing or not taking very scoreable chances. I do think KW and mgmt will work on it though. He referenced it in his post match interview. We should have beat kerry and kildare by a lot more. Not a bad thing that we are getting the win though but have lots to improve on . Its where you want to be

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1210 - 26/07/2018 18:06:33    2126501

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "
Replying To goalk111:  ""Granted he does miss a few, but when he hits them they're often beauties". Whether it's a beauty or a tap over from the 14, it's worth the same. The fact that he scores these 'beauties' is because he's trying his arm at a shot that isn't on and more often than not, missing. A good, honest worker and to be fair up to now has probably earned his place on the team but I think he must be hanging on by a thread at this stage going on this years championship performances"
Biggest problem with this team is that our forwards even our best ones are missing or not taking very scoreable chances. I do think KW and mgmt will work on it though. He referenced it in his post match interview. We should have beat kerry and kildare by a lot more. Not a bad thing that we are getting the win though but have lots to improve on . Its where you want to be"
Yes I would agree with you. 10 point wins in both games would not have flattered us with the amount of missed chances that we had. More composure and calmness under pressure to be make sure of the point or goal opportunities as they arise is definitely required from here on in.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2399 - 26/07/2018 20:55:43    2126530

Link

Why am I getting the sneaky feeling we could see Kieran Molloy at some stage for the monaghan game?

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 26/07/2018 23:04:11    2126564

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "Sorry I just can't agree with that. Heaney is a better footballer technically than O'Donnell. For me, O'Donnell is an athlete first and the football comes second. He's probably one of the better all round athletes on the panel, but his skills aren't as strong and decision making is suspect.

Heaney is technically brilliant. He has 3 scores that spring to mind for me this year that O'Donnell could never conjure up. One v Monaghan when he ran from his own full back line and slotted it from 35-40 yards from the wing. The equaliser in Pearse Stadium v Dublin in the dying minutes (the stones it took to have a pop at that one as well). Then the one off his weaker left from the wing against Kildare last week was just class. Granted he does miss a few, but when he hits them they're often beauties. O'Donnell has mastered the late run up the right wing, and finishes with the side foot tap or hand pass so I'll credit him for that.

This came across as nearly an attack on O'Donnell. It's definitely not, I'm a fan of his, but I don't think he warrants a start at the moment. It just goes to show the strength of our panel we can bring classy players like him off the bench to see out games. The same goes for Army, Varley etc."
people speaking on this point are not allowing for the fatigue factor of heaney brannigan etc....surely if it is a close call which it is then the fresher man in god should play equally close calls the fresher player should play especially in this game with the short turn around

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 602 - 27/07/2018 00:17:58    2126595

Link

To beat Dublin you are going to need a 75 + percent conversation rate. Galway are at 55% needs alot of work. Comer tries to do too much himself sometimes and takes careless shots. Id rather walsh just drove through the ball and stopped kicking it into the keepers hands. We dont have anyone for 45s with mcHugh gone and Army benched. Lavelle has missed 2 many

GAL4DaDouble (Galway) - Posts: 82 - 27/07/2018 01:40:24    2126616

Link

Howya lads, a very interesting match ahead. Monaghan are a class outfit when they're on song and will burst their nuts to stay in this championship at this stage, and they will fancy their chances. I'm in agreement that avoiding Dublin in the semi is the way to go, I'd rather lose in a final than a semi, if that scenario arose.
But either way, I see Monaghan, Galway, Tyrone, Donegal (lesser so without McBrearty) and Kerry all in and around the same level, and we're not as far above that as we were.
Galway will find it tough if they were to play Tyrone or Donegal in a semi, they're 50/50 games. And if Kerry were to make it and play us, ,they'll be on fire for that one and on any given day, it just happens. All to play for!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7777 - 27/07/2018 04:03:56    2126626

Link