Galway Forum

Galway Vs Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To JDF:  "Any word on Michael Daly not making the matchday 26?"
Walsh along with most of Galway realised he's towards the end of a pecking order - a pecking order which contains Comer, Cummins and Walsh at the top.

NathinButSteel (Galway) - Posts: 115 - 16/05/2018 16:18:57    2101422

Link

Replying To NathinButSteel:  "Walsh along with most of Galway realised he's towards the end of a pecking order - a pecking order which contains Comer, Cummins and Walsh at the top."
The same Cummins who wasn't in the matchday 26 either?

Daly isn't fully fit yet apparently. The lad had a bad knee injury and has a huge future ahead of him. No need to rush him back when he's not 100% essential to the cause just yet. He'll be a difference maker for us later on in the year. A supreme talent.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 16/05/2018 17:25:56    2101451

Link

Funny some of the comments coming through
Great to win playing poorly
Also as the game went on we got stronger and stronger
We had 4 wides before the goal on the trot?
Other years the head might drop, but not this year
Also regarding a poor Mayo, they are still the best defensive unit to my mind, thinking of the final last year, pulling the dubs into tackles and stripping them of the ball
My concern from the last day is I feel we need another option in the FB line
We have plenty else where
Regarding Danny, he puts the needle in the red every time he is on the pitch and leaves it all out there
He played well the day they hammered us in a pearse in 2013, not easy
So we have come along way
Focus on each game and take nothing for granted
Well done to all involved

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 242 - 16/05/2018 21:49:32    2101529

Link

Replying To Maroonedinlongford:  "Funny some of the comments coming through
Great to win playing poorly
Also as the game went on we got stronger and stronger
We had 4 wides before the goal on the trot?
Other years the head might drop, but not this year
Also regarding a poor Mayo, they are still the best defensive unit to my mind, thinking of the final last year, pulling the dubs into tackles and stripping them of the ball
My concern from the last day is I feel we need another option in the FB line
We have plenty else where
Regarding Danny, he puts the needle in the red every time he is on the pitch and leaves it all out there
He played well the day they hammered us in a pearse in 2013, not easy
So we have come along way
Focus on each game and take nothing for granted
Well done to all involved"
Agreed. What happens if Sean Andy is injured. I think it is the one position we are really exposed if anything happens.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1293 - 17/05/2018 08:36:54    2101588

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Agreed. What happens if Sean Andy is injured. I think it is the one position we are really exposed if anything happens."
Fair point. Also we are lacking depth in the half back line. Johnny Heaney was sacrificed due to Brannigan unavailability. I think he will revert back the next day. GOD and Gareth Bradshaw great servants they are but going forward I would only see them covering for each other and not playing on the same line. Cathal Sweeney I would think will retain his position with Heaney on the other wing. Great that we have more options than previous years.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1734 - 17/05/2018 10:17:36    2101614

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Fair point. Also we are lacking depth in the half back line. Johnny Heaney was sacrificed due to Brannigan unavailability. I think he will revert back the next day. GOD and Gareth Bradshaw great servants they are but going forward I would only see them covering for each other and not playing on the same line. Cathal Sweeney I would think will retain his position with Heaney on the other wing. Great that we have more options than previous years."
Imagine if we had Liam Silke and Cillian Mc Daid available?

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 17/05/2018 11:36:20    2101652

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "Imagine if we had Liam Silke and Cillian Mc Daid available?"
At least Silke will be back next year. We'll have to see on how McDaid get on over there.

Your own clubmen Molloy & Dylan Wall would really benefit from playing league for Galway unfortunately its hard to see Corofin been stopped.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 17/05/2018 12:17:26    2101671

Link

Replying To NathinButSteel:  "A lot of people talking down Cummin's claims for a starting berth. Forgive me if I'm wrong but he is one of the few all star nominated forwards we have in the panel is he not?

Have these young lads people are putting ahead of him all star nominations of their own that someone hasn't told me about?"
Declan Kyne has an all star nomination at full back

All star nominations are the bar for picking teams now? Good grief

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 326 - 17/05/2018 12:27:12    2101675

Link

How was Michael Daly able to tog for a game in February and still "not fit" in May? I think he's a wonderful footballer and had an excellent year last year, but I really do think KW is going to stay loyal to the lads who were fit and fighting for the league until given a reason to do otherwise - Team selection v Mayo reflected that.

gaa190 (Galway) - Posts: 133 - 17/05/2018 12:48:26    2101683

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Fair point. Also we are lacking depth in the half back line. Johnny Heaney was sacrificed due to Brannigan unavailability. I think he will revert back the next day. GOD and Gareth Bradshaw great servants they are but going forward I would only see them covering for each other and not playing on the same line. Cathal Sweeney I would think will retain his position with Heaney on the other wing. Great that we have more options than previous years."
Heaney plays much better at wing back.He's strong defensively and because of his pace and fitness he is well able to get forward fast if he sees an opportunity. it also means his runs may not be tracked by opposition . I would have him over GOD. Even if Brannigan was unavailable we have plenty of forwards able to slot in

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1210 - 17/05/2018 16:54:40    2101746

Link

Heaney plays much better at wing back.He's strong defensively and because of his pace and fitness he is well able to get forward fast if he sees an opportunity. it also means his runs may not be tracked by opposition . I would have him over GOD. Even if Brannigan was unavailable we have plenty of forwards able to slot in

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1210 - 17/05/2018 16:54:43    2101747

Link

I DONT THINK HE RATES DALY...QUITE A SELFISH PLAYER THOUGH UNDENIABLY TALENTED... needs work and lost out on that with injury- will feature come super 8s!!

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 602 - 19/05/2018 14:16:25    2102132

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "Imagine if we had Liam Silke and Cillian Mc Daid available?"
Very true - both would be on my team anyway.
Silke good in the halfback line but I think we need him more in the corner.
Kerin O Ceallaigh Silke
McDaid Bradshaw Heaney
That's a better defence than we have at the moment.
And I mean no disrespect to Kyne, Sweeney or GOD when I say that.
All good players in their own right.

I would be majorly worried about the lack of defensive cover in the panel this year.
We have Duane with Sean Kelly able to play wing back also.
Outside of that we have the 2 Wynnes and that's about it?

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 19/05/2018 15:10:28    2102139

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "Very true - both would be on my team anyway.
Silke good in the halfback line but I think we need him more in the corner.
Kerin O Ceallaigh Silke
McDaid Bradshaw Heaney
That's a better defence than we have at the moment.
And I mean no disrespect to Kyne, Sweeney or GOD when I say that.
All good players in their own right.

I would be majorly worried about the lack of defensive cover in the panel this year.
We have Duane with Sean Kelly able to play wing back also.
Outside of that we have the 2 Wynnes and that's about it?"
Not a bad back six but for the fact that Liam Silke is going to America for the Summer and Cillian McDaid is in Australia with Carlton in the AFL trying to become a professional player. Sure if we are doing fantasy teams I'd put Daithi Burke at 6.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 357 - 19/05/2018 18:06:06    2102161

Link

Replying To EDH:  "Not a bad back six but for the fact that Liam Silke is going to America for the Summer and Cillian McDaid is in Australia with Carlton in the AFL trying to become a professional player. Sure if we are doing fantasy teams I'd put Daithi Burke at 6."
If you had bothered to read my post properly you would have seen that it was in response to a post regarding what we would be like if we had Silke and McDaid available.
So of course it was a hypothetical team.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 19/05/2018 19:59:57    2102177

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "If you had bothered to read my post properly you would have seen that it was in response to a post regarding what we would be like if we had Silke and McDaid available.
So of course it was a hypothetical team."
Right back at ya, if you bothered to read my post. A fantasy team to include Daithi Burke.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 357 - 20/05/2018 01:27:49    2102214

Link