Galway Forum

Player Of League Series

(Oldest Posts First)

With the final being played this Sunday, I guess there have been some consistently good performances to date. For me, the top players have been: Brannigan, McHugh, Kerin, Comer, O'Ceallaigh, Kelly and Heaney. For me, Brannigan has been our top performer- excellent all through.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 387 - 30/03/2018 15:38:48    2089554

Link

Bar the off day in the Dublin game Army has been very important too. Having him to come off the bench in the summer could be massive.

Diabhal (Galway) - Posts: 171 - 30/03/2018 17:42:54    2089573

Link

Brannigan has been very good during the league but In my opinion our biggest problem area for the last couple of years under Kevin Walsh has been the full back line. Kerins has been brilliant at corner back but the big difference and the main reason for getting to a league final has been Sean Andy O Ceallaigh at full back. He's a huge man. He's a no nonsense full back. He's strong and has great pair of hands. He possesses great balance and pace and has a real football brain. His foot passing is excellent. He is real All Star material. He sometimes plays on the edge and is aggressive but there's nothing wrong with that. People give credit to paddy tally's influence which maybe right but for me, it's O Ceallaigh that has made the real difference this year

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 227 - 30/03/2018 19:05:45    2089581

Link

Replying To Reversepass1:  "Brannigan has been very good during the league but In my opinion our biggest problem area for the last couple of years under Kevin Walsh has been the full back line. Kerins has been brilliant at corner back but the big difference and the main reason for getting to a league final has been Sean Andy O Ceallaigh at full back. He's a huge man. He's a no nonsense full back. He's strong and has great pair of hands. He possesses great balance and pace and has a real football brain. His foot passing is excellent. He is real All Star material. He sometimes plays on the edge and is aggressive but there's nothing wrong with that. People give credit to paddy tally's influence which maybe right but for me, it's O Ceallaigh that has made the real difference this year"
Agreed. He's been a massive addition to the team. Apart from his undoubted ability, he's an inspirational type of character. Having someone with a presence like that at full-back gives great confidence to the rest of the defence.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 882 - 30/03/2018 23:54:35    2089633

Link

Although Eamonn Brannigan didn't play to his highest standard yesterday, overall, for me, he was our best league player. And Johnny Heaney - what a wholehearted player! The contests at times, between himself and John Small were worth the entrance fee alone..

Really (Galway) - Posts: 387 - 02/04/2018 13:17:40    2090290

Link

I was very critical of C.Sweeney last year but has really improved this year and looks like he dropped half a stone. But for me Heaney was our player of the year in the league. I didnt see the tuam game at the start or kildare the last day but was phenomenal against mayo, kerry, monaghan and kicked 4 points from play in 2 games against Dublin. I also remember that point against monaghan that reminded me of daniel Flynn last year and his work rate against mayo was ridiculous and got a great score that day for me he's in our top 3 players. Sean andy number 2 great league

GAL4DaDouble (Galway) - Posts: 82 - 02/04/2018 23:50:33    2090505

Link

Honestly find it hard to pick out an outstanding player. Probably easier to pick out who played badly, but even then there's not much choice. It was great to get lads like Sean Kelly and Cooke into the mix and giving them serious minutes, whereas Sean Andy looks like he's going to be the player we had all hoped. He had a fantastic league. The likes of Bradshaw, Kyne and Conroy had solid leagues and lads like Kerin, Heaney and Brannigan pushed on again even further to really solidify themselves as top players. I suppose Damo would be the one to get the nod, but it's really not as clear cut as that. Delighted for Lavelle as well.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 03/04/2018 14:45:16    2090681

Link