Galway Forum

Donegal v Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To FastandLong:  "I really have to disagree with you Galway2017.

1. Kerrin was excellent in Tuam vs Tyrone, epitomised everything good about corner back play gave his man a hard time of it andn was not afraid to get stuck in physically.

2. Paddy McBrearty was destroying us in Letterkenny. Kyne was way of him letting him win balls, turn and shoot. Kerrins is put on him just into the second half after McBrearty nearly got in for a goal. After that McBrearty had a quiet game as Kerrins was stuck so tight to him. Donegal had no outlet to go long to so were reduced to playing around the edge of our 45. Anytime he did win a ball Kerrin was right there getting a hand in and making life impossible for him. I could be wrong but from memory I don't think McBrearty scored again after Kerrin marked him

Granted he is not the tallest, but you don't put a man on a player who is clearly much taller than him when that team are playing a long ball game. That is managements fault for not having a tactical plan not the players"
I believe Mcbrearty kicked 3 points. 1 on kyne,1 on sean andy and 1 on kerins. I would like to see the full back line left the way it is. I think they are the 3 best we have, in the 2 matches they played i dont think there was even a chance of a goal or a shot a goal. Its important we keep that tight. Mayo have scored a few goals this year.

Gaillimh2 (Galway) - Posts: 155 - 07/02/2018 11:36:25    2074763

Link

Replying To FastandLong:  "I really have to disagree with you Galway2017.

1. Kerrin was excellent in Tuam vs Tyrone, epitomised everything good about corner back play gave his man a hard time of it andn was not afraid to get stuck in physically.

2. Paddy McBrearty was destroying us in Letterkenny. Kyne was way of him letting him win balls, turn and shoot. Kerrins is put on him just into the second half after McBrearty nearly got in for a goal. After that McBrearty had a quiet game as Kerrins was stuck so tight to him. Donegal had no outlet to go long to so were reduced to playing around the edge of our 45. Anytime he did win a ball Kerrin was right there getting a hand in and making life impossible for him. I could be wrong but from memory I don't think McBrearty scored again after Kerrin marked him

Granted he is not the tallest, but you don't put a man on a player who is clearly much taller than him when that team are playing a long ball game. That is managements fault for not having a tactical plan not the players"
Agree on Kerin, McBrearty manged to get away from Kerin once and after that he struggled to find any space. He's the best man to mark the oppositions best forward going forward as long as their not too tall.

Cunningham has played very little football the last few years so its obviously going to take time, I'd like to think he'll improve the more games he gets and it might not be for a few years before he we really see the best of him but he does look like he has the attributes to be a good forward but only time will tell.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 322 - 07/02/2018 11:43:43    2074769

Link

Replying To JDF:  "Agree on Kerin, McBrearty manged to get away from Kerin once and after that he struggled to find any space. He's the best man to mark the oppositions best forward going forward as long as their not too tall.

Cunningham has played very little football the last few years so its obviously going to take time, I'd like to think he'll improve the more games he gets and it might not be for a few years before he we really see the best of him but he does look like he has the attributes to be a good forward but only time will tell."
Cunningham will be top class the real deal

Galway2017 (Galway) - Posts: 44 - 07/02/2018 17:57:43    2074851

Link