Galway Forum

Senior Club Championship 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

10 senior A
10 senior B

Two groups of 5 in each.
Now you have the best 10 teams in Galway playing against each other, also giving a chance to an underdog to push through from senior B. There you go.

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 161 - 07/01/2018 17:14:18    2067204

Link

hard to see corofin being stopped for a while no matter what format the championship takes

dunphy1 (Galway) - Posts: 30 - 22/01/2018 17:34:37    2069931

Link

Apparently new format for championship or so I have heard! 4 groups of 5 or something along those lines, anybody hear anything similar?

ozbound (Galway) - Posts: 67 - 22/01/2018 21:10:25    2069976

Link

The problem at the moment in my opinion is not that there are too many senior teams, its that the system is too slow moving to clear the bad teams out of the system.

This one up and one down system at the moment has given poor senior teams a realistic chance of avoiding relegation every year, provided they meet a team worse than them at some stage.

Looking at league results, intermediate teams regularly beat senior teams and this should not be the case.

My proposal,#
Keep the 20 teams at senior, run 4 groups of 5 in championship. Seed the groups according to league position, bottom team in each group goes to a relegation semi final, if you lose that you are relegated to intermediate.

That way, there is an incentive to do well in the league, also it will avoid groups with 2 or three weak teams allowing 2 out of the three to escape relegation.

Intermediate championship, 4 seeded groups of 4 same format. 2 finalists promoted.

Competitive intermediate teams will be fast tracked to senior, poor senior teams will be weeded out very quickly.

galwaygael (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 24/01/2018 00:07:32    2070251

Link

One prob with that suggestion of grading teams on league position most league games this year will have be played without county players so think that's a non runner

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 477 - 24/01/2018 16:40:53    2070381

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "One prob with that suggestion of grading teams on league position most league games this year will have be played without county players so think that's a non runner"
Well if you dont seed the groupings you could get groups with 3 or 4 weak teams in it resulting in a bad team or two escaping the threat of relegation.

Also, the current proposal is to play only some of the league games without county players, not them all.

galwaygael (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 24/01/2018 18:41:25    2070420

Link

Replying To galwaygael:  "The problem at the moment in my opinion is not that there are too many senior teams, its that the system is too slow moving to clear the bad teams out of the system.

This one up and one down system at the moment has given poor senior teams a realistic chance of avoiding relegation every year, provided they meet a team worse than them at some stage.

Looking at league results, intermediate teams regularly beat senior teams and this should not be the case.

My proposal,#
Keep the 20 teams at senior, run 4 groups of 5 in championship. Seed the groups according to league position, bottom team in each group goes to a relegation semi final, if you lose that you are relegated to intermediate.

That way, there is an incentive to do well in the league, also it will avoid groups with 2 or three weak teams allowing 2 out of the three to escape relegation.

Intermediate championship, 4 seeded groups of 4 same format. 2 finalists promoted.

Competitive intermediate teams will be fast tracked to senior, poor senior teams will be weeded out very quickly."
I think you're spot on with everything you've said. However I believe there's some rule from Croke Park dictating you can only have 1 one up one down from each grade every year (correct me if I'm wrong). The only way around it is to get permission to change your system for a set number of years before having to revert back to 1 up 1 down.

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 161 - 28/01/2018 13:22:42    2071313

Link

The proposal for this year is to go to 4 groups of 5 with last years 4 semi finalists (Corofin, Mountbellew, Annaghdown & Monivea-Abbey) seeded.
Top 2 - Qfs
No.3 - Neither QF not relegation
No.4 - relegation semi
No.5 - relegation final

So the football county board has eventually realised that for galway to be a "dual" county football needs to as prominent with as many games as the hurling, well done lads. But then they decide no, we'll get rid of 3 teams from senior this year with 1 coming up.. what's the system going to be in 2019 then, who knows?

Want to help galway football lads?
Leave the numbers as they are, change the system. Not too difficult you'd imagine

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 161 - 28/01/2018 13:27:50    2071316

Link

I agree that the structure needs to change but I also think that senior needs to drop down to 16 teams, there are too many teams operating at Senior when truth be told they are intermediate teams

west101 (Galway) - Posts: 85 - 28/01/2018 21:03:04    2071622

Link

Replying To west101:  "I agree that the structure needs to change but I also think that senior needs to drop down to 16 teams, there are too many teams operating at Senior when truth be told they are intermediate teams"
Sure that might not work out well for some of your teams in the city and beyond! Few teams there be praying it doesn't get down to that number!

ozbound (Galway) - Posts: 67 - 28/01/2018 21:12:11    2071626

Link

Replying To ozbound:  "Sure that might not work out well for some of your teams in the city and beyond! Few teams there be praying it doesn't get down to that number!"
Which would they rather grind out battles and stave off relegation year in year out or get relegated and start again and work towards getting the club competitive on its own terms rather than getting absolute hidings to nothing against the Corofin, mount bellews, killanins of this world

west101 (Galway) - Posts: 85 - 28/01/2018 21:33:25    2071641

Link