Monaghan Forum

El Clasico 2020 Monaghan Vs Cavan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To farneyfan123:  "At least the #BantyOut brigade will be silenced now for a while anyway or at least until possibly our next defeat. He is in Cloghan tonight at training with the lads preparing for the McKenna Cup campaign. Good to see the county board are backing him and his team after all the backlash from 'supporters' on social media"
Another pretend Monaghan supporter

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 844 - 13/11/2020 07:56:24    2308239

Link

Replying To moodoo:  "Banty for Tyrone. Please."
He wouldn't get an interview for their minor job! :-)

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 494 - 14/11/2020 14:22:05    2308687

Link

Desperate stuff by Donegal today not sitting back and defending their half time lead in their own half against the wind. Brought the ball into the armagh web far too much got what they deserved.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1510 - 14/11/2020 15:59:10    2308739

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Desperate stuff by Donegal today not sitting back and defending their half time lead in their own half against the wind. Brought the ball into the armagh web far too much got what they deserved."
Donegal are a fine team and have built a very stable team. Monaghan and donegal had some tremendous battles in Ulster in the last decade but donegal have moved away from Monaghan building a new exciting innovative team, Monaghan are persisting to much with the older brigade, bantys first team. Armagh tore Monaghan apart last summer while donegal brushed them aside today.

Monaghan contested a minor semi in 13 and u21 in 16 as well as recent minor wins in ulster.
Why haven't we saw more of that crop ?
Donegal success is built on the minor team of 14.
They looked very well coached, you can see the influence of stephen Rochford, big mistake not snapping up Tony mc entee one would think.

222 (UK) - Posts: 535 - 14/11/2020 16:21:13    2308747

Link

Replying To 222:  "Donegal are a fine team and have built a very stable team. Monaghan and donegal had some tremendous battles in Ulster in the last decade but donegal have moved away from Monaghan building a new exciting innovative team, Monaghan are persisting to much with the older brigade, bantys first team. Armagh tore Monaghan apart last summer while donegal brushed them aside today.

Monaghan contested a minor semi in 13 and u21 in 16 as well as recent minor wins in ulster.
Why haven't we saw more of that crop ?
Donegal success is built on the minor team of 14.
They looked very well coached, you can see the influence of stephen Rochford, big mistake not snapping up Tony mc entee one would think."
Am no expert on minor football but the donegal younger players when they came on scene first looked physically ready for inter county football size and pace. Apart from dessie ward Ryan Mc and Barry Kerr who left the panel haven't seen anyone from those teams from 13 and 15 who fit that bill. Mcginn was unlucky with injuries but probably lacked the pace. Mccarthy seriously talented but for some reason neither malachy or banty rate him. Youd expect mulligan to come through next year but he is slight also for senior inter County. Donegal blooded the young lads in 2018 div 1 were relegated but it has paid off have walked ulster since. We need to be prepared to do something similar with minors of 18/19 next year as not much point getting relegated with the usual suspects and end up playing lads in div 2 who have never played inter County before.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1510 - 14/11/2020 18:38:41    2308825

Link

Donegal had players from 2014 Minors who already looked like Seniors. Caolan McGonigle, McMenamin
They produce some really big players and well conditioned

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2328 - 14/11/2020 21:21:01    2308928

Link

@martinmcnally having an absolute stinker refereeing out here

agaa (Monaghan) - Posts: 30 - 15/11/2020 14:59:58    2309183

Link

Replying To agaa:  "@martinmcnally having an absolute stinker refereeing out here"
Just proves that if we would have got over Cavan we could be in an Ulster final next week. Cavan don't win games they rely on teams to loose them.

We didn't want to win the game and neither did down. The chances missed by both teams is incredible. I thought mc nally had a.good game apart from the free he gave to Brady later on. It was harsh.

Down could have scored 2.6 in the second half so they will be sick tomorrow. At least we don't have that problem, we all know why we lost the game.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 215 - 15/11/2020 15:28:48    2309227

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Just proves that if we would have got over Cavan we could be in an Ulster final next week. Cavan don't win games they rely on teams to loose them.

We didn't want to win the game and neither did down. The chances missed by both teams is incredible. I thought mc nally had a.good game apart from the free he gave to Brady later on. It was harsh.

Down could have scored 2.6 in the second half so they will be sick tomorrow. At least we don't have that problem, we all know why we lost the game."
I am not at all sure you could say Monaghan would have made an Ulster Final had we defeated Cavan in the preliminary round - recent experience against Down, Fermanagh and others would suggest otherwise. Fair play to Cavan on reaching another Ulster final, a great achievement and it will be interesting to see how they get on this time around now that they are in the last eight. I think Mickey Graham is a very good manager but while Cavan have likely improved and learned a lot from last year's Ulster Final, Donegal are a serious animal, have also improved considerably and are genuine All Ireland contenders (if there is such a thing the way Dublin are playing at the moment). Donegal really taught Monaghan a lesson in the league earlier this year and have great strength and depth all over the park. Unlike us, they also have big men around the middle too and are very clinical in front of the posts.

It would be great if Monaghan could unearth a few big talented midfielders over the Mc Kenna Cup and League to reduce the reliance on Niall Kearns and K Hughes, who both seems to be quite injury prone. Despite lots of talented players all over the park and more to come in next year such as Mc Carron and Mulligan hopefully, if we cannot win ball or compete better on kick outs when we are penned in, it's hard to see how Monaghan will progress. We need to find another Owen Lennon quickly.

OrielPower (Monaghan) - Posts: 106 - 17/11/2020 17:22:14    2310734

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Just proves that if we would have got over Cavan we could be in an Ulster final next week. Cavan don't win games they rely on teams to loose them.

Down could have scored 2.6 in the second half so they will be sick tomorrow. At least we don't have that problem, we all know why we lost the game."
Did you watch the game on Sunday a sideline ball for Cavan which was still inside the down 45 was given as a mark to down which led to their goal and awarding a free to Cavan when Reilly was through for a shot on goal instead of playing the advantage and you complain about Brady getting a soft free. Wasn't the referee a Monaghan man. Try eating something sweet get rid of that bitter taste in your mouth that's a good boy.

[email protected] (Cavan) - Posts: 45 - 18/11/2020 09:51:45    2310944

Link

Replying To [email protected]:  "Did you watch the game on Sunday a sideline ball for Cavan which was still inside the down 45 was given as a mark to down which led to their goal and awarding a free to Cavan when Reilly was through for a shot on goal instead of playing the advantage and you complain about Brady getting a soft free. Wasn't the referee a Monaghan man. Try eating something sweet get rid of that bitter taste in your mouth that's a good boy."
Pipe down chap the penalty yous got was not a penalty go look up the rule book but best of luck sunday anyways

Lad79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 20 - 18/11/2020 17:15:16    2311144

Link

Replying To Lad79:  "Pipe down chap the penalty yous got was not a penalty go look up the rule book but best of luck sunday anyways"
My god it was the clearest penalty you could ever see

monaghanman99 (Monaghan) - Posts: 34 - 18/11/2020 18:54:27    2311171

Link

Replying To monaghanman99:  "My god it was the clearest penalty you could ever see"
Watch the sunday game the experts will tell you different lad

Lad79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 20 - 18/11/2020 19:53:51    2311191

Link

Replying To [email protected]:  "Did you watch the game on Sunday a sideline ball for Cavan which was still inside the down 45 was given as a mark to down which led to their goal and awarding a free to Cavan when Reilly was through for a shot on goal instead of playing the advantage and you complain about Brady getting a soft free. Wasn't the referee a Monaghan man. Try eating something sweet get rid of that bitter taste in your mouth that's a good boy."
Time to deliver come Sunday. A team of stop starts, play well when chips down and nothing to loose. Revert to high balls into the square, no game plan, rely on other teams to muck up tactics, rely on poor weather conditions, concede more goal chances than I have ever seen a team concede. When all was on a level playing field you went to division 3. I'm not bitter, I look at it from a realistic view. Well Sunday will show where you are in terms of development. Don't get me wrong I would love to see Cavan win, when we got there we won, now it's time to deliver. Anyone can get to an Ulster final, good teams win them. PORVE ME WRONG

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 215 - 19/11/2020 11:01:26    2311342

Link

Replying To Lad79:  "Watch the sunday game the experts will tell you different lad"
Handeled the ball on the ground in the square. Result penalty they are the rules.

[email protected] (Cavan) - Posts: 45 - 19/11/2020 11:47:25    2311356

Link

please stop being so bitter to Cavan... we have more in common with them then the teams from the six counties

patmouse (Monaghan) - Posts: 61 - 19/11/2020 11:51:12    2311358

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Time to deliver come Sunday. A team of stop starts, play well when chips down and nothing to loose. Revert to high balls into the square, no game plan, rely on other teams to muck up tactics, rely on poor weather conditions, concede more goal chances than I have ever seen a team concede. When all was on a level playing field you went to division 3. I'm not bitter, I look at it from a realistic view. Well Sunday will show where you are in terms of development. Don't get me wrong I would love to see Cavan win, when we got there we won, now it's time to deliver. Anyone can get to an Ulster final, good teams win them. PORVE ME WRONG"
Agree with you we won 35 of them. And yes we won't beat Donegal they are an awesome team and will probably win the all Ireland we are not in their league neither are Monaghan or indeed 26or27 other county's as regards a level playing field was Monaghan and Cavan a level playing field. We could have lost all 3 Championship games but we are still standing after 5 Weekends on the trot. Thanks for wishing us luck on Sunday but we will need a lot more than that. Up Cavan.

[email protected] (Cavan) - Posts: 45 - 19/11/2020 12:01:11    2311365

Link

Replying To patmouse:  "please stop being so bitter to Cavan... we have more in common with them then the teams from the six counties"
Absolutely correct.

[email protected] (Cavan) - Posts: 45 - 19/11/2020 12:46:53    2311380

Link

The residual bitterness on this forum is absolutely glorious to behold..............

Cavan_Shambles (Cavan) - Posts: 460 - 19/11/2020 15:00:50    2311431

Link

Replying To [email protected]:  "Handeled the ball on the ground in the square. Result penalty they are the rules."
Cavan player left field of play to attack the ball and also foul the keeper but yes i do agree wit u the down lad did pick it of the ground and dats all the ref seen of it so penalty was given.i hope cavan give Donegal a real game of it hate to c another one side final no good for anyone

Lad79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 20 - 19/11/2020 16:10:15    2311462

Link