Monaghan Forum

El Clasico 2020 Monaghan Vs Cavan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To seanie08:  "Also its a pity we didn't see more of stephen o hanlon today who looked a real threat in the first half and mccarthy who was v unlucky not to score the goal of the championship. In the post mcmanus World lads like that will have to be appreciated a bit more than they were today."
How in gods name did we expect to come away with a result by taking off O'Hanlon, K Hughes, McCarthy , and Bannigan? Like [email protected]#K me pink as poor and all they may be at any stage, bringing the likes of a half fit Walsh, & Kearns on at that vital stage? It was scores we needed. Cavan used their bench perfectly and was the deciding factor in coming away with the win

MonaghanMad2020 (Monaghan) - Posts: 3 - 31/10/2020 20:54:51    2303588

Link

Replying To germac:  "You shouldent be to embarresed about losing to Down ,we only have a list of All Irelands and national honours the length of your arm, not forgetting Cavans 5 All Irelands and about 35 Ulsters .Tradition is really hard to beat you know, This is what championship is all about, one bite at it,thats what we in Down love about it, Now who knows we just might bite the dust next week,and we will give Fermanagh everyrespect,
I do think Monaghan took their eye off the ball for this one , and were thinking about an Ulster final ,Cardinal sin to say the least.
On should McEnaney get the boot , no i dont think so, i personally like is hunger and drive , and im sure theres no one in Monaghan more disapointed than him ,On another note i love the mural to Nudie ,It would be nice for other Counties to follow this , Well done to all involved"
You're right about Nudie mural. Rest of this was incoherent nonsense.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 494 - 31/10/2020 20:57:47    2303590

Link

Seanie08 raises an important issue, and having calmed down a bit here's a my tuppence worth.

- O'Hanlon looked sharp in the first half, reminiscent of his 2019 league display v Dublin;
- Bannigan has shown enough about him to be a clear prospect;
- McCarthy remains desparately unlucky not to have raised a green flag against the Cavan. He has been equally close in Breffni in past Championship matches.

Via these forwards we had our sights on goal in the first half. Sage heads may counsel that, given the conditions, we should have taken points to build a lead, rather than try to win the game in the first half. My own view is that, had we kept that ambition in the second half, we would not have lost.

The best side of today's result is that we ought not to have to wait anither 12 months for our next Ulster outting.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 291 - 31/10/2020 21:01:01    2303595

Link

I dont think it was your managers fault, please keep him in case we are drawed out against you next year .

goonie (Cavan) - Posts: 293 - 31/10/2020 21:02:14    2303596

Link

Replying To MonaghanMad2020:  "How in gods name did we expect to come away with a result by taking off O'Hanlon, K Hughes, McCarthy , and Bannigan? Like [email protected]#K me pink as poor and all they may be at any stage, bringing the likes of a half fit Walsh, & Kearns on at that vital stage? It was scores we needed. Cavan used their bench perfectly and was the deciding factor in coming away with the win"
As soon as Cavan pushed up on the short kick outs in the 2nd half, we were getting murdered in midfield, and Banty panicked.
We supposedly got an all star back room team with Banty, was there nobody on the line could see that trying to hold on for 35 minutes was madness? And then Banty says the reason we lost was that we should have played more ball in our own half?!

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 398 - 31/10/2020 21:20:18    2303605

Link

People defending Banty need a reality check. There can't be any excuses for the management against a Division 3 team, strange year or no strange year. What happened was not a surprise to many. What part of what happened today would have been different in any other year with this manager? It's the same conditions for Cavan. Monaghan's problems were all self-inflicted. Monaghan management have dicovered a whole new way of tripping themselves up. How many years in total has he managed Monaghan and to come up with that today is shocking. Some of the best players Monaghan have had were on the pitch. Maybe time is up for some of them but it shouldn't really end due to a 2nd half like that.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 70 - 31/10/2020 21:25:57    2303614

Link

Replying To mhunicean_abu:  "The worst 35 minutes I have ever seen from a Monaghan team bar none"
I was a desperate bad second half from Monaghan.
Did they think Cavan with their tradition could not overcome a 6 point lead.
Bottom line is that Cavan had bed subs on the day and graham used them wisely. Stuck with Pierson as long as he could even tho he seemed injured. Someone said it. Tradition counts and Monaghan or mayo don't have it.
Kerry. Dublin have it. Cavan have it in ulster.
I think Banty will pull away after this. He got unlucky twice draw against Cavan.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 548 - 31/10/2020 21:51:58    2303623

Link

Replying To moodoo:  "As soon as Cavan pushed up on the short kick outs in the 2nd half, we were getting murdered in midfield, and Banty panicked.
We supposedly got an all star back room team with Banty, was there nobody on the line could see that trying to hold on for 35 minutes was madness? And then Banty says the reason we lost was that we should have played more ball in our own half?!"
All star back room team me arse.. What other jobs has Laverty had before this? Coaching Trinity college in the Sigerson? Aye that's went well!

In fairness McCague is the only experience as Banty's yes man with the minors, yon ray boyne fella is obviously too busy tweeting about analysis sky sports puts up, Peter Donnelly is a great fit in all honesty and has huge knowledge and experience but it's big come down having to work with the legend Micky Harte to now having to listen to-------.

Young woods should have been on long ago. Monaghan had nobody to drive and break that line. Instead they reverted to allowing Rory beggan being the man playmaker out the field!

MonaghanMad2020 (Monaghan) - Posts: 3 - 31/10/2020 21:58:57    2303625

Link

Replying To goonie:  "I dont think it was your managers fault, please keep him in case we are drawed out against you next year ."
It's drawn not drawed.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 494 - 31/10/2020 22:19:28    2303636

Link

Replying To moodoo:  "As soon as Cavan pushed up on the short kick outs in the 2nd half, we were getting murdered in midfield, and Banty panicked.
We supposedly got an all star back room team with Banty, was there nobody on the line could see that trying to hold on for 35 minutes was madness? And then Banty says the reason we lost was that we should have played more ball in our own half?!"
Imagine Cavan pushed up from the start of the second half. With our philosophy from our manager we would have got hammered. I thought we were holding something back for the last 15. It's in the last 15 we should have been looking to go short when Cavan had pushed up and when we were getting annualised around the middle

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 215 - 31/10/2020 22:27:43    2303637

Link

Seamus McEnaney has now lost 72% of his first round Ulster championship matches as Monaghan manager. It is staggering the support he still gets.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 738 - 31/10/2020 22:53:01    2303645

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "I was a desperate bad second half from Monaghan.
Did they think Cavan with their tradition could not overcome a 6 point lead.
Bottom line is that Cavan had bed subs on the day and graham used them wisely. Stuck with Pierson as long as he could even tho he seemed injured. Someone said it. Tradition counts and Monaghan or mayo don't have it.
Kerry. Dublin have it. Cavan have it in ulster.
I think Banty will pull away after this. He got unlucky twice draw against Cavan."
Cavan have no Ulster Title wins in 50 years....that's some tradition. Mayo & Monaghan have much better records than that.

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 185 - 01/11/2020 01:02:34    2303671

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "Cavan have no Ulster Title wins in 50 years....that's some tradition. Mayo & Monaghan have much better records than that."
Cavan did win Ulster title in 97 23 bit I agree with this tradition myth.
Cavan won their last All Ireland in 1952 and Mayo won their last in 1951. So how do Cavan had tradition but Mayo don't?
Tradition counts for nothing. It's a buzz word for bluffers.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 494 - 01/11/2020 09:21:57    2303697

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "Cavan have no Ulster Title wins in 50 years....that's some tradition. Mayo & Monaghan have much better records than that."
5 All Irelands lad. There was football before 50 years ago.
New management needed in Monaghan

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 738 - 01/11/2020 09:22:37    2303698

Link

Check your facts there lad.

I think what he means by tradition is. . .the greatest side Monaghan have ever produced yielded a mighty 2 ulster titles. Cavan's greatest won 3 all irelands.

This is far from a vintage Cavan side but still had enough to beat one of Monaghan's better ones.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 4376 - 01/11/2020 09:50:50    2303705

Link

Cavan won it in 97. They have a tradition in winning 5 all Ireland, but I agree tradition counts for nothing when you take the field. What tradition had Tyrone when M Harte took over in 2002, or Joe Kernan and Armagh, Cavan and Down like to think as themselves as the traditional aristocrats of Ulster. To claim that had anything to do with yesterday would be to da a disservice to those that played. Winning 5 all Ireland won't matter Jack s*** when they meet Tyrone or Donegal in the final.
The best of luck to Cavan, and unlike many that came out of the woodwork after the event, I gave them a chance before the game because I believe they are a good team too good to be in Div 3. They do need a good kick up the arse sometimes though.

What many of the posters are saying on here is that the total ineptitude of our manager was a deciding factor in the game, and, that ineptitude was well known before the game and his appointment, yet, it went ahead with little to do with football. Huff and Puff will only get you so far. If we can't discuss that on our own forum then where can we
Again best of luck to Cavan but they need not be depending on tradition, tooth fairies, or any other kind of paranormal activity going forward, even though it is Holloween
Oh wait... Nah

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 830 - 01/11/2020 10:19:26    2303718

Link

Can't believe that Drew wasn't brought back on in ET. Only black and red cards carry over. Surely it was made for him.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 494 - 01/11/2020 11:07:41    2303737

Link

"And we got turned over time after time when we went into the web - we talked about not going into the web at half-time and keep the ball"
Criticising the players in public, nice move.
...So the strategy was sound, the players just didn't do what they were told. The mind boggles.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 398 - 01/11/2020 11:40:34    2303749

Link

It was bizarre from Monaghan in second half. You might do that with 5 or 10 minutes to go kill the game , but not an entire35 minutes.
Very boring to look at, and equally to play in I'd say.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2328 - 01/11/2020 11:52:52    2303757

Link

An inevitable outcome due to the ineptitude of the county board first & foremost. What is that line about doing the same thing again & expecting different results. It was proven that Banty was not up to the job & yet he was given it. Any accountability anywhere??
BTW I wonder where is Hardcore? Very vociferous in his support of Banty but strangely quiet now.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 844 - 01/11/2020 11:57:57    2303760

Link