Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Mike caseys injury puts in a bind no doubt. The journey to the promised land will likely include dealing with conlon, callanan, Horgan Whelan and fennelly

All depends on how jk plans to set us up for the season. Much of our game plan in my opinion is a tactical And physical infliction of our game On the opposing teams.
With our Very tall half back and retreating half forward line it means teams Lack a puck out option (w Walsh massive for kk here last year ). Teams have to play through us and we turn them over.

Personally I think given conditions will be a lot heavier dan would be ideal for no3 and appears to have the defensive discipline for it. However he would be a massive loss physically in the halfback line. Finn is a certainty. English we may see at some point.

Nash for me is a gifted hurler but I'd wonder if his skill set and temperament might be better suited at 5.
I think we don't know enough about any of the other options so it'll be a baptism of fire. At least with richies injury they'll have had ages to assess all the other options in the full back line. Someone is going to get a chance and hopefully they'll grab it with two hands.

Possibly puts more pressure on our forward line to work harder and prevent easy clearances. Personally I think Flanagan adds a huge amount here.

Sugary_tae (Limerick) - Posts: 27 - 15/10/2020 13:32:24    2297776

Link

Panel is on the leader, no formal announcement

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/579080/limerick-s-36-man-panel-for-the-2020-all-ireland-senior-hurling-championship.html

2020 PANEL: David Dempsey, Mike Casey, Peter Casey, William O'Donoghue, Conor Boylan, Jerome Boylan, Adrian Breen (all Na Piarsaigh); Barry Hennessy, Graeme Mulcahy, Paddy O'Loughlin, Robbie Hanley, Aaron Costello (all Kilmallock); Diarmaid Byrnes, Cian Lynch, Aaron Gillane, Jason Gillane, Josh Considine (all Patrickswell); Richie English, Pat Ryan, Darragh O'Donovan (all Doon); Dan Morrissey, Tom Morrissey (both Ahane); Kyle Hayes, Darren O'Connell (both Kildimo-Pallaskenry); Declan Hannon, Ronan Connolly (both Adare); Barry Nash, Brian Ryan (both South Liberties); Sean Finn (Bruff); Tom Condon (Knockaderry); Nickie Quaid (Effin); Gearoid Hegarty (St Patricks); David Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca); Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh-Castlemahon); Mark Quinlan (Garryspillane); Brian O'Grady (Kilteely-Dromkeen).

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 15/10/2020 15:34:50    2297798

Link

Replying To Sugary_tae:  "Mike caseys injury puts in a bind no doubt. The journey to the promised land will likely include dealing with conlon, callanan, Horgan Whelan and fennelly

All depends on how jk plans to set us up for the season. Much of our game plan in my opinion is a tactical And physical infliction of our game On the opposing teams.
With our Very tall half back and retreating half forward line it means teams Lack a puck out option (w Walsh massive for kk here last year ). Teams have to play through us and we turn them over.

Personally I think given conditions will be a lot heavier dan would be ideal for no3 and appears to have the defensive discipline for it. However he would be a massive loss physically in the halfback line. Finn is a certainty. English we may see at some point.

Nash for me is a gifted hurler but I'd wonder if his skill set and temperament might be better suited at 5.
I think we don't know enough about any of the other options so it'll be a baptism of fire. At least with richies injury they'll have had ages to assess all the other options in the full back line. Someone is going to get a chance and hopefully they'll grab it with two hands.

Possibly puts more pressure on our forward line to work harder and prevent easy clearances. Personally I think Flanagan adds a huge amount here."
I dont think you can say Dans physicality will be a huge loss in the half back line when you've a beast like O'Loughlan to replace him.

If English is back, then I'd be confident enough in a new face back there like Dan, Boylan, Costello or Nash but obviously blooding 2 new guys in less than ideal.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 15/10/2020 16:41:18    2297820

Link

We will find out very soon if the championship will go ahead.
I hope the decision will not be grey that it's a clear yes or no. It's the very least players deserve.

Going to be optimistic for a second believe that it will go ahead. Did not realise the number of serious players Clare are down. I knew about a couple but didn't know about a couple of others. I think I heard on the radio Colm Galvin, Peter Duggan, John Conlon and Podge Collins are all out.
Yes we have serious injury issues in the full back line but with those players mentioned out you'd be very disappointed if we didn't get a result inspite of Brian Lohan showing very decent signs in the league.
It would be like us missing the likes of Gillane, Mulcahy and Cian Lynch. Any team in the country would struggle with huge losses
This at least it gives John Kiely a chance to give a run out with his chosen full backline.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 16/10/2020 22:52:08    2298240

Link

So hopefully the inter county matches wont be affected with this new level "4.5" and we can finally start the build up to Championship 2020!!

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 19/10/2020 10:45:52    2299066

Link

Hope we are ready for the Clare intensity and not be like against KK in 2019 AI s/f.Make no mistake about it Clare will be up for this big time,Lohan brought some intensity to defending with Clare.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 19/10/2020 16:00:32    2299242

Link

Replying To ONdeDITCH:  "Hope we are ready for the Clare intensity and not be like against KK in 2019 AI s/f.Make no mistake about it Clare will be up for this big time,Lohan brought some intensity to defending with Clare."
Is it not fair to say clare a without a number of important players Conlon , Duggan and Galvin will be big underdogs ?
It's only 2 years since clare best Limerick in Ennis but hard to see Clare having the resources to beat Zlimerick

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 303 - 20/10/2020 14:40:44    2299626

Link

We will know more about this Clare team at the weekend,granted they are missing some key players and so are Limerick.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 20/10/2020 14:56:42    2299629

Link

Surprised by the significant favorites tag that's been placed on Limerick. We gave Clare a trimming last year, they gave us the same the year before in Ennis, neither games reflective of how close the teams are. The last 2 league matches (both draws) is probably a fairer reflection. Both teams going well before lockdown, havrent heard how Clare have fared in challenge matches but know Limerick have done well.

On the players that are missing out - Clare knew they'd be without Conlon and Duggan for a good while, Podge would not have started so in my view Galvin is the only big surprise that wont start for Clare, big loss - one of the best midfielders in the country. Likewise, Mike Casey has proven to be one of the best full backs in the country and is as big a loss when you consider that English and Condon are doubtful as well. I would have Finn full back, Morrissey is not suited to the position and has been badly exposed when he played there before. Leave him wing back. Limerick should have more options off the bench but Clare also have an ace up their sleeve in Rodgers, he was excellent for the minors a few years ago and looked dangerous v Tipp in the u20 game. Cant see more than a few points between the teams at the end, hopefully goes our way.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 436 - 21/10/2020 13:42:45    2299911

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "Surprised by the significant favorites tag that's been placed on Limerick. We gave Clare a trimming last year, they gave us the same the year before in Ennis, neither games reflective of how close the teams are. The last 2 league matches (both draws) is probably a fairer reflection. Both teams going well before lockdown, havrent heard how Clare have fared in challenge matches but know Limerick have done well.

On the players that are missing out - Clare knew they'd be without Conlon and Duggan for a good while, Podge would not have started so in my view Galvin is the only big surprise that wont start for Clare, big loss - one of the best midfielders in the country. Likewise, Mike Casey has proven to be one of the best full backs in the country and is as big a loss when you consider that English and Condon are doubtful as well. I would have Finn full back, Morrissey is not suited to the position and has been badly exposed when he played there before. Leave him wing back. Limerick should have more options off the bench but Clare also have an ace up their sleeve in Rodgers, he was excellent for the minors a few years ago and looked dangerous v Tipp in the u20 game. Cant see more than a few points between the teams at the end, hopefully goes our way."
With condon injury doubt who would you go with in both corners? Nash and costello??

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 495 - 21/10/2020 14:10:07    2299930

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "Surprised by the significant favorites tag that's been placed on Limerick. We gave Clare a trimming last year, they gave us the same the year before in Ennis, neither games reflective of how close the teams are. The last 2 league matches (both draws) is probably a fairer reflection. Both teams going well before lockdown, havrent heard how Clare have fared in challenge matches but know Limerick have done well.

On the players that are missing out - Clare knew they'd be without Conlon and Duggan for a good while, Podge would not have started so in my view Galvin is the only big surprise that wont start for Clare, big loss - one of the best midfielders in the country. Likewise, Mike Casey has proven to be one of the best full backs in the country and is as big a loss when you consider that English and Condon are doubtful as well. I would have Finn full back, Morrissey is not suited to the position and has been badly exposed when he played there before. Leave him wing back. Limerick should have more options off the bench but Clare also have an ace up their sleeve in Rodgers, he was excellent for the minors a few years ago and looked dangerous v Tipp in the u20 game. Cant see more than a few points between the teams at the end, hopefully goes our way."
Clare have been shipping hammering in their challenges. Kilkenny put 5 goals past them.

Knowing that Conlon and Duggan would be out for a while does very little to mitigate their loss. Clare weakness has often been size and ball winners and those 3 lads were their exceptions.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 21/10/2020 16:12:18    2299997

Link

I'd still look at starting Jerome boylan as he is a more natural corner back..think Nash or paddy o loughlin will put massive pressure on Byrnes..any word on whether Donovan and English are going to be fit?

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1153 - 21/10/2020 16:54:43    2300017

Link

When is team being named ? Fri evening I suppose ?

Munster championship this time of year without fine dry pitch, crowd will feel odd for the players especially.

Clare full forward line of Aaron Cunningham, Aron Shanagher and Shane O'Donnell has potential to cause trouble if we have a few new starters in this line - hopefully they wont get a decent supply from outside. Think we are better than them but they will be really up for this after last year and it being Limerick,

Kiely mentioned in one report that we are without Mike Casey but never commented on Richie (maybe me reading into the comment more than was intended)

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 21/10/2020 18:49:12    2300053

Link

Replying To LimkABU:  "When is team being named ? Fri evening I suppose ?

Munster championship this time of year without fine dry pitch, crowd will feel odd for the players especially.

Clare full forward line of Aaron Cunningham, Aron Shanagher and Shane O'Donnell has potential to cause trouble if we have a few new starters in this line - hopefully they wont get a decent supply from outside. Think we are better than them but they will be really up for this after last year and it being Limerick,

Kiely mentioned in one report that we are without Mike Casey but never commented on Richie (maybe me reading into the comment more than was intended)"
Kiely said English still has more work to do but should see him in green this winter. DOD is fully fit and could start sunday. I'd imagine it will be Costello finn nash in fb line as Condon is nursing a knock. As previous poster said the supply into shanagher Cunningham and o Donnell will have to be stifled as Clare will target this line all day.

I imagine Clare will play very deep and get limerick to shoot from distance. Limerick will play through the lines and work the man off the shoulder to get more favourable shots at goal. Limerick will probably play 2 inside with a 3rd midfielder to allow Hannon give cover in front of full back line.

Wod then will drop and 3rd midfielder will cover that space. Its intriguing to see who kiely goes with as the 3rd midfielder and the 2 inside. Hego kyle and tom will be HF line. The 2 inside will be gillane and one of Casey mul Flanagan or dempsey. 3rd midfielder could be DoD or Dempsey.

Anyway bar the fb line kiely has plenty of headaches and welcome ones. The subs bench will be stacked in the forwards but light in the backs. If limerick get to their pitch and work rate they should be too strong for Clare. Tony kelly is carrying a slight injury I'm led to believe but in sure he'll be wearing 9 on sunday.

Cant wait for it and thankfully we can be grateful we can have the discussion and match to look forward to and post match analysis as always. Luimneach abu.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 495 - 21/10/2020 19:37:46    2300064

Link

Also, I think a lot of people have written off Dan's ability to play full back based on one game years ago against the eventual all Ireland champions (that Tipp team at their peak) marking the best FF in the country, playing in a Limerick team set up badly in general where the Tipp players were waltzing through our midfield and HB line at will.

Dan is a different animal now and I would not be afraid of seeing him named there this week. He had enormous pressure on his shoulders as a young man back then.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 22/10/2020 05:38:19    2300129

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "I'd still look at starting Jerome boylan as he is a more natural corner back..think Nash or paddy o loughlin will put massive pressure on Byrnes..any word on whether Donovan and English are going to be fit?"
I'd be shocked if Boylan starts. a) he's not a natural corner back as you suggest - he's played center back all his life with every age group, NaP play him in the corner because they have Ronan Lynch and Mike Casey in the middle and b) he's never played more than a few minutes here and there for Limerick. If the u20 goes ahead I'd expect him to play 6, dont expect him to get much game time for the senior team in 2020.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 436 - 22/10/2020 08:33:26    2300131

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Also, I think a lot of people have written off Dan's ability to play full back based on one game years ago against the eventual all Ireland champions (that Tipp team at their peak) marking the best FF in the country, playing in a Limerick team set up badly in general where the Tipp players were waltzing through our midfield and HB line at will.

Dan is a different animal now and I would not be afraid of seeing him named there this week. He had enormous pressure on his shoulders as a young man back then."
Not based on one game v Tipp, he was whipped off early after a disastrous first half against Westmeath in the qualifiers (which we struggled to win) and was dropped for the next qualifier (v Dublin if my memory serves me correctly). I'm also pretty sure he played full back in a Munster League game last year and looked uncomfortable. I'm not saying he shouldn't start, just dont think full back suits him.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 436 - 22/10/2020 09:52:16    2300142

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Also, I think a lot of people have written off Dan's ability to play full back based on one game years ago against the eventual all Ireland champions (that Tipp team at their peak) marking the best FF in the country, playing in a Limerick team set up badly in general where the Tipp players were waltzing through our midfield and HB line at will.

Dan is a different animal now and I would not be afraid of seeing him named there this week. He had enormous pressure on his shoulders as a young man back then."
Says it all re Dan. I like his size for full back and Blv he could do a job there. A management call based training and other options across backline.
Looking forward to Sunday.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 22/10/2020 10:26:19    2300151

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "Not based on one game v Tipp, he was whipped off early after a disastrous first half against Westmeath in the qualifiers (which we struggled to win) and was dropped for the next qualifier (v Dublin if my memory serves me correctly). I'm also pretty sure he played full back in a Munster League game last year and looked uncomfortable. I'm not saying he shouldn't start, just dont think full back suits him."
My views of Dan playing full back are informed by the same memories. To be fair, Callinan is an exceptional full forward and I'd expect that Dan is a more experienced operator now than back then. It is a concern and an anomaly that for such a big team that our full back line are not that tall and we have conceded goals from route 1 balls in recent campaigns. Maybe Dan could help sort that issue. I believe he's going to be picked at full back regardless of my concerns and he's had time to prepare so I hope it goes well for him.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 22/10/2020 15:07:57    2300246

Link

Replying To daveboy:  "Kiely said English still has more work to do but should see him in green this winter. DOD is fully fit and could start sunday. I'd imagine it will be Costello finn nash in fb line as Condon is nursing a knock. As previous poster said the supply into shanagher Cunningham and o Donnell will have to be stifled as Clare will target this line all day.

I imagine Clare will play very deep and get limerick to shoot from distance. Limerick will play through the lines and work the man off the shoulder to get more favourable shots at goal. Limerick will probably play 2 inside with a 3rd midfielder to allow Hannon give cover in front of full back line.

Wod then will drop and 3rd midfielder will cover that space. Its intriguing to see who kiely goes with as the 3rd midfielder and the 2 inside. Hego kyle and tom will be HF line. The 2 inside will be gillane and one of Casey mul Flanagan or dempsey. 3rd midfielder could be DoD or Dempsey.

Anyway bar the fb line kiely has plenty of headaches and welcome ones. The subs bench will be stacked in the forwards but light in the backs. If limerick get to their pitch and work rate they should be too strong for Clare. Tony kelly is carrying a slight injury I'm led to believe but in sure he'll be wearing 9 on sunday.

Cant wait for it and thankfully we can be grateful we can have the discussion and match to look forward to and post match analysis as always. Luimneach abu."
Havent seen Clare Management play much tactics they play a much more conventional game now,

Limerick are overwhelming favourites for this game would have won last years All Ireland but I believe dident manage team as well as they might too loyal to some players against an average enough KK on the day will ahrdly make same mistake 2 years in a row

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 593 - 22/10/2020 15:15:51    2300248

Link