Limerick Forum

The Limerick Dugout/Bench 1980

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

i love looking at the old games on dvd, youtube all ireland gold etc, and i was watched the limerick Galway final from 1980 a lot of times down the years...it was a great game and v nostalgic to look at.....there was always something i meant to ask on the limerick forum though, in the limerick dugout that day beside the subs and management team the was an eldery man who looked about between 70-80 with a light grey overcoat and a tweed cap holding hurls.....can anyone recall him, was he an limerick official or a past star player or selector of the team. i was always interested to know who he was. i know its a random question but thanks

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 517 - 22/08/2019 12:21:54    2228489

Link

Replying To preddan:  "i love looking at the old games on dvd, youtube all ireland gold etc, and i was watched the limerick Galway final from 1980 a lot of times down the years...it was a great game and v nostalgic to look at.....there was always something i meant to ask on the limerick forum though, in the limerick dugout that day beside the subs and management team the was an eldery man who looked about between 70-80 with a light grey overcoat and a tweed cap holding hurls.....can anyone recall him, was he an limerick official or a past star player or selector of the team. i was always interested to know who he was. i know its a random question but thanks"
Do you have a photo or video of the dugout? I have an idea of who it might have been but would need a photo or video to be sure.

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6218 - 24/08/2019 08:37:51    2228955

Link

Replying To slayer:  "Do you have a photo or video of the dugout? I have an idea of who it might have been but would need a photo or video to be sure."
I also have an idea as to who it is but would like to see a photo to confirm.

Citygael (None) - Posts: 168 - 24/08/2019 10:56:18    2228978

Link

The Jap Ryan from Garryspillane

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 720 - 24/08/2019 17:43:43    2229022

Link

It's somewhere in the video of the game.... You can see him prominently sometime around the second half in the dugout.. I'd have to look back on it to get the time... I'd say he was near 80 at the time

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 517 - 24/08/2019 21:32:35    2229044

Link

https://youtu.be/2bJS2OHG8eY

1:40 into that video.. U can see him.. In front of dugout nearest camera, cap and overcoat grey... I think there's more shots of the dugout during the game... I found that one there now

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 517 - 24/08/2019 22:15:22    2229061

Link

Preddan it's the Jap Ryan RIP

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 720 - 24/08/2019 22:43:33    2229068

Link

Preddan it's the Jap Ryan RIP. A legend in Limerick hurling circles

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 720 - 24/08/2019 22:43:59    2229069

Link

Replying To preddan:  "https://youtu.be/2bJS2OHG8eY

1:40 into that video.. U can see him.. In front of dugout nearest camera, cap and overcoat grey... I think there's more shots of the dugout during the game... I found that one there now"
Don't know the gent nearest the camera but its not the Jap Ryan ( now RIP) ). I believe however that the Jap Ryan is about 3rd or 4th from the front in the frame as you are talking about. (1:40) The Jap always wore a peak cap also.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 25/08/2019 00:08:38    2229086

Link

when did the jap ryan pass away what age was he..i looked him up ..he seemed a legend from garryspillane and limerick hurling circles...this man im talking about youd say he played back in the 30s and 40s though..i didnt get the impression from what i tried to find out that the jap ryan was that old

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 517 - 25/08/2019 11:31:55    2229126

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "Preddan it's the Jap Ryan RIP. A legend in Limerick hurling circles"
i think i seen him before on a photo after the all ireland of 1994 he was holding a load of hurls shaking hands with Eamon Cregan after the game....congratulating him if im not mistaken..definitley not the man im talking about from 1980

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 517 - 25/08/2019 11:40:26    2229128

Link

Replying To preddan:  "when did the jap ryan pass away what age was he..i looked him up ..he seemed a legend from garryspillane and limerick hurling circles...this man im talking about youd say he played back in the 30s and 40s though..i didnt get the impression from what i tried to find out that the jap ryan was that old"
The Jap Ryan was tragically killed in a car accident about 15 years ago. Not sure of his age at that time (mid 60s, maybe someone else can answer?) that time. He was one of the founding members of Garryspillane "The Bouncers" and would have been considered the "heartbeat of that club.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 25/08/2019 13:12:31    2229152

Link

That's not the Jap Ryan in the 1980 final at 1.40 mins (wouldn't be anywhere near 80 at that time) ...... yes he would have been all over pictures from '94. Huge Garryspillane and Limerick man, character big time.

Even set up an amalgamation team in football one tcall Glencurrane Rovers (something like this) which comprised of mainly Galbally & Garryspillance and small few others (maybe even Ballylanders) - walked Limerick senior football championship around 1990 and were not allowed compete from there on. Got killed not long after that '94 (maybe '95) and his family are still involved with the bouncers (alot of daughters if i remember rightly, maybe even a bouncer from that 94/96 team married one of them)

here he is, a pic from here
https://nationaltreasures.ie/submissions/LYJMSK

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 28/08/2019 13:24:21    2230119

Link

Replying To LimkABU:  "That's not the Jap Ryan in the 1980 final at 1.40 mins (wouldn't be anywhere near 80 at that time) ...... yes he would have been all over pictures from '94. Huge Garryspillane and Limerick man, character big time.

Even set up an amalgamation team in football one tcall Glencurrane Rovers (something like this) which comprised of mainly Galbally & Garryspillance and small few others (maybe even Ballylanders) - walked Limerick senior football championship around 1990 and were not allowed compete from there on. Got killed not long after that '94 (maybe '95) and his family are still involved with the bouncers (alot of daughters if i remember rightly, maybe even a bouncer from that 94/96 team married one of them)

here he is, a pic from here
https://nationaltreasures.ie/submissions/LYJMSK"
So no clues on the man I'm talking about :(

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 517 - 29/08/2019 00:35:58    2230312

Link

Replying To preddan:  "So no clues on the man I'm talking about :("
So the Jap is actually in the dugout but about 4 in from the guy you are talking about .......cap on - see 9 mins 52 in same link. Now you got me watching this !!! my wife thought i was obsessive about Limerick hurling but said i brought it to a new level last night when she caught me glued to this entire game [could have been caught watching worse ;-)]

I can ask my dad later tonight

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 29/08/2019 10:56:07    2230369

Link

You could be watching a lot worse LIMKabu ....... That was a fine Limerick team. With the players they had from 1980-1984 we should have bagged at least one all-Ireland. 1981 was tough to take as there was a golden opportunity to win the final had we got past Galway. In 1982 Waterford caught us out badly and in 83 & 84 we just couldn't get past Cork, who ended up in both All-Ireland finals.

There was some mighty hurling played back then. Joe McKenna was some man under a high ball, Eamonn Cregan just a wizard, hard as nails too. Jimmy Carroll in midfield was a dynamo. Great times.

Now you got me watching this !!! my wife thought i was obsessive about Limerick hurling but said i brought it to a new level last night when she caught me glued to this entire game [could have been caught watching worse ;-)]

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6218 - 29/08/2019 14:37:40    2230430

Link

Replying To slayer:  "You could be watching a lot worse LIMKabu ....... That was a fine Limerick team. With the players they had from 1980-1984 we should have bagged at least one all-Ireland. 1981 was tough to take as there was a golden opportunity to win the final had we got past Galway. In 1982 Waterford caught us out badly and in 83 & 84 we just couldn't get past Cork, who ended up in both All-Ireland finals.

There was some mighty hurling played back then. Joe McKenna was some man under a high ball, Eamonn Cregan just a wizard, hard as nails too. Jimmy Carroll in midfield was a dynamo. Great times.

Now you got me watching this !!! my wife thought i was obsessive about Limerick hurling but said i brought it to a new level last night when she caught me glued to this entire game [could have been caught watching worse ;-)
"]Watched this also.. some great ground "pulling" however, there was was no room for thought as to where the ball would land. That was the next man's problem. Still enjoyable to watch.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 30/08/2019 14:46:41    2230715

Link

I think that it's the great Jackie power! He may have been a mentor that time

Limcofinest (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 30/08/2019 23:33:34    2230869

Link

Replying To Limcofinest:  "I think that it's the great Jackie power! He may have been a mentor that time"
Definitely not Jackie Power, I'd say he was too young at that time

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 517 - 31/08/2019 23:59:22    2231096

Link

Our two corner backs got roasted alive. Our half forward line couldn't score in a brothel (not helped by the fact that two of them were priests). David Punch was destroyed in midfield and our half backs struggled. It's still a mystery why they took off Mossie Carroll at center back with the carnage going on all around him but who then sulked and played with Tipperary in 1991. If he'd stayed, he would have an All Ireland medal now.

Yet we would have still have won the game but for a wonderful hook by Conor Hayes on McKenna mainly because of the brilliance of Eamon Cregan. He was phenomenal in that final.

The Jap was amazing character and in my eyes he personified the spirit of County Limerick. Pure passion and full of fun with hurling and dogs. I miss these characters from my youth who are all now long gone. But their spirit still runs through the county as we all saw last year and will again with this magnificent current team of ours.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 02/09/2019 13:40:27    2231878

Link