Down Forum

League And Championship Predictions

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well said paudie,brave men at a keyboard,u will find these boys are content to warm the bench and talk s##t to managers about what they should be doin

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 334 - 18/09/2019 05:48:53    2236945

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Well said paudie,brave men at a keyboard,u will find these boys are content to warm the bench and talk s##t to managers about what they should be doin"
It's well documented who I am so no keyboard warrior here big lad.

As for the Ports lads not training I heard one was transferring to Ballygalget once his nuptials are sorted.

I think that's the right word.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2458 - 18/09/2019 13:16:56    2237098

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Well said paudie,brave men at a keyboard,u will find these boys are content to warm the bench and talk s##t to managers about what they should be doin"
Totally agree, the dogs on the street know most of these expert pundits and none are in any position to criticise other players when you look at their own personal ability on the pitch and their eagerness to keep clear of management.
Some have never even played senior hurling.

Galgetgael (Down) - Posts: 215 - 18/09/2019 18:21:08    2237269

Link

Replying To Galgetgael:  "Totally agree, the dogs on the street know most of these expert pundits and none are in any position to criticise other players when you look at their own personal ability on the pitch and their eagerness to keep clear of management.
Some have never even played senior hurling."
From the post I read no one was saying they were an expert they only gave their view on a fella. people making this out to be more than what was said. Just look forward to what will hopefully be a good days hurling Sunday week

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 210 - 18/09/2019 19:26:43    2237293

Link

Agree with Paudie above......
Anyway, should be an excellent day of hurling this Sunday in Newcastle. Any ideas on the winners?

Junior - Seen the semi finals, both Shamrocks and Ballela looked sharpe with both sets of forwards looking dangerous.
I expect this to be a lot closer than their round robin game but still think Shamrocks should still win by +5

Intermediate - I have not seen his grade so looking foward to the standard here. This should be a close match and could go either way

dingle82 (Down) - Posts: 183 - 19/09/2019 09:18:20    2237458

Link

Replying To Galgetgael:  "Totally agree, the dogs on the street know most of these expert pundits and none are in any position to criticise other players when you look at their own personal ability on the pitch and their eagerness to keep clear of management.
Some have never even played senior hurling."
Well I've played senior hurling and IC hurling so you're obviously not talking about me...

Reddog was probably out of line and must be a disgruntled Port sub who is always asked to warm up but never gets on.

Skipp(y)ing down the line in Carryduff was brilliant.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2458 - 19/09/2019 09:29:12    2237462

Link

Replying To dingle82:  "Agree with Paudie above......
Anyway, should be an excellent day of hurling this Sunday in Newcastle. Any ideas on the winners?

Junior - Seen the semi finals, both Shamrocks and Ballela looked sharpe with both sets of forwards looking dangerous.
I expect this to be a lot closer than their round robin game but still think Shamrocks should still win by +5

Intermediate - I have not seen his grade so looking foward to the standard here. This should be a close match and could go either way"
How or why are the shamrocks in juniors

ianog (Down) - Posts: 414 - 19/09/2019 10:02:40    2237472

Link

Replying To ianog:  "How or why are the shamrocks in juniors"
Because we can't win the bloody thing....fourth final in five years! Around 2011/12 Down county board moved us all down to junior including the intermediate clubs at that stage such as Bredagh, ourselves, Kilclief, Liatriom so Down teams were struggling in the Ulster intermediate series....we had narrowly lost to Bredagh in intermediate final in 2010 were moved down to junior and can't seem to get out of it!

Hope springs eternal and hopefully on Sunday we get over the line eventually but won't be easy that's for sure.....to be honest I think we should merge intermediate and junior championship like in Derry etc and you win your first game you are in the intermediate knock out stages, lose your first game and you drop to junior knock out stages.....we only had three teams at intermediate this year as example.....

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 726 - 19/09/2019 11:16:09    2237493

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Because we can't win the bloody thing....fourth final in five years! Around 2011/12 Down county board moved us all down to junior including the intermediate clubs at that stage such as Bredagh, ourselves, Kilclief, Liatriom so Down teams were struggling in the Ulster intermediate series....we had narrowly lost to Bredagh in intermediate final in 2010 were moved down to junior and can't seem to get out of it!

Hope springs eternal and hopefully on Sunday we get over the line eventually but won't be easy that's for sure.....to be honest I think we should merge intermediate and junior championship like in Derry etc and you win your first game you are in the intermediate knock out stages, lose your first game and you drop to junior knock out stages.....we only had three teams at intermediate this year as example....."
10 years PaudieSull1, is it that long? There will be some hunger in your boys come Sunday afternoon!

For sure it'll be a competitive game, Newry winning is really dependant on Sheehan's accuracy, which is usually on point. It's up to the Ballela full backs to read the game and cut out any unnecessary frees. If Ballela can take their chances they'll just about get over the line. Ballela +1

For the other game I can see Bredagh winning but only by the slightest of margins, they beat Carryduff earlier in the campaign but the rivalry on the big stage should keep this close. Bredagh +3

Hurler2012 (Down) - Posts: 12 - 19/09/2019 13:15:06    2237535

Link

Looking forward to Sunday already. The good news is the weather will be fine. I know you all look to me for the forecast ! LOL

Junior Final

There is always very little between these two when the have there full teams out and no love lost either. Shamrocks are better than the past couple of years when the totally relied on Paul Sheehan's frees. Theyve a couple of young fellas who can take a score from play now which is a big help. Ballela have a few good young lads coming through now to which is good to see. They also have an experienced spine. This could go to replay but I expect Shamrocks to do the job on Sunday. Newry to win by 2pts.

Intermediate Final

Bredagh v Carryduff will be closer than the last time I reckon. The Duff showed they could beat the Ormeau Rd boys in the Antrim league an the last match may have been just a bad day at the office. Id have to make Bredagh favorites but not by much. Bredagh to win by 3pts.

The minor final is on Saturday at Drumaness. Ballygalget should probably win over Bredagh goin on the league.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1075 - 19/09/2019 15:34:01    2237589

Link

If Newry can't win the junior this year against a team of old codgers then they never will

Bredagh will win the intermediate. Simon has them ticking over well

Bredagh will also win the minor as they gave everyone a walloping in the championship round robin including Ballygalget.
In the league it seemed to be a bit hit and miss who Bredagh had lined out. They'll be full strength on Saturday.

Galgets will do well to keep 15 on the field, couldn't even do it in an U14 game the other week.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2458 - 19/09/2019 16:22:55    2237611

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "If Newry can't win the junior this year against a team of old codgers then they never will

Bredagh will also win the minor as they gave everyone a walloping in the championship round robin including Ballygalget.
In the league it seemed to be a bit hit and miss who Bredagh had lined out. They'll be full strength on Saturday.

Galgets will do well to keep 15 on the field, couldn't even do it in an U14 game the other week."
Bredagh are strong favourites and should be too strong for young Galget team.
P.S. are the Crans not the only team to have a man sent off after FIVE senior championship games played?

Galgetgael (Down) - Posts: 215 - 19/09/2019 18:10:33    2237641

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "If Newry can't win the junior this year against a team of old codgers then they never will

Galgets will do well to keep 15 on the field, couldn't even do it in an U14 game the other week."
Have to say bricktop u were right the pick of down would not count with the big boys.?

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 202 - 20/09/2019 06:01:23    2237735

Link

Replying To Galgetgael:  "Bredagh are strong favourites and should be too strong for young Galget team.
P.S. are the Crans not the only team to have a man sent off after FIVE senior championship games played?"
Did one of your lads not also walk for two yellows at the end of last Sundays game or were you already heading out the Ballyphilip road?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2458 - 20/09/2019 09:55:19    2237766

Link

Replying To Thekid14:  "Have to say bricktop u were right the pick of down would not count with the big boys.?"
They got carried away with themselves after a glorious defeat to Ballygalget the previous week and must have thought we'd the same soft underbelly.
That bubble was well and truly burst in 2 or 3 minutes.

To give them credit, at least they gave it a rattle and were missing some good hurlers. Next year they may actually beat Ballygalget.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2458 - 20/09/2019 10:39:09    2237777

Link

Who are the old codgers for Ballela? I thought the last time out I seen a youthful enough team, with the exception of a few and even though McCusker is getting older he hasn't dropped much in the way of quality

Hurler2012 (Down) - Posts: 12 - 20/09/2019 11:58:54    2237805

Link

Replying To Galgetgael:  "Bredagh are strong favourites and should be too strong for young Galget team.
P.S. are the Crans not the only team to have a man sent off after FIVE senior championship games played?"
Your young Coulter got sent off, but don't let the facts get in the way of an agenda.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 98 - 20/09/2019 12:39:00    2237812

Link

Is the u16 final on before senior final next Sunday ? Any date for Betsy grey final ?

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 210 - 20/09/2019 19:59:42    2237910

Link

Yes, u-16s before senior final. Besty gray final is fixed for 6th October.

Heinz1 (Down) - Posts: 8 - 20/09/2019 22:17:18    2237952

Link

JHC

Tomorrow's encounter between these two will be one to remember. Their first meeting in the championship isnt anything to go by as Ballela were missing a few vital players. Newry have been flying and haven't really been tested yet and after Ballela coming off a big win 2 weeks ago, they will he fired up. McMullan, the McCuskers and the work rate in midfield will be the driving force come 1:30 tomorrow. As for Newry, Sheehan's, McGuinness's and Courtneys will decide the game. I can see this going to extra time, Ballela +2

IHC

This being a local rivalry game will make this one very close to call. Emotions will be high and form goes out the window. Bredagh have hurler well with a number of lads stepping up and representing the county panel, and will surely have their tails high at 3:30. Carryduff have had their fair share of hard games all year and will be up against it tomorrow. They finished in the top 4 in Div 2 and were beat twice by a weakened Ballela team. Will they be ready for a tough Bredagh? We will see tomorrow. Bredagh +4

All roads lead to Newcastle for 1:30, a big crowd is expected.

onionbag27 (Down) - Posts: 12 - 21/09/2019 18:41:58    2238103

Link