Down Forum

League And Championship Predictions

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Good luck to the Shamrock's tomorrow. Hopefully they put in a strong performance and represent Down hurling well.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 98 - 15/11/2019 17:49:48    2249776

Link

Hard luck paudie and the lads, will the shamrocks be in intermediate next year or continue in junior?? Or do they have to go up for winning the junior?

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 79 - 17/11/2019 12:40:19    2249971

Link

Replying To Antrimroad:  "Hard luck paudie and the lads, will the shamrocks be in intermediate next year or continue in junior?? Or do they have to go up for winning the junior?"
Shamrocks intermediate next year......

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 726 - 17/11/2019 14:06:10    2249980

Link

Great effort by Shamrocks and a boost to the game in our part of the county. Just came up against a team who have been round the block at this level and played junior all Ireland final in 2016 as well as an early senior football exit left them able to focus on hurling. P Sheehan injured and close enough at time of red card. Hats off to Paudie and the Newry lads.

SouthCounty (Down) - Posts: 37 - 17/11/2019 19:08:18    2250039

Link

Hard luck to Shamrocks, very competitive against a Junior team who could go all the way. Considering Eoin's harsh red and Paul out missing, it was great see a competitive performance. In fact good to see both Junior and Intermediate representatives perform. At the outset no body would have given them chance.

Back to the U21 hopesfully get a few good games over the next fortnight.

dingle82 (Down) - Posts: 183 - 18/11/2019 10:06:11    2250100

Link

Replying To SouthCounty:  "Great effort by Shamrocks and a boost to the game in our part of the county. Just came up against a team who have been round the block at this level and played junior all Ireland final in 2016 as well as an early senior football exit left them able to focus on hurling. P Sheehan injured and close enough at time of red card. Hats off to Paudie and the Newry lads."
Hard luck to the Neuck's.

A move to intermediate is good for Down hurling.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2458 - 18/11/2019 12:54:45    2250130

Link

Cran boys put a real shift in up in bredagh being a man down for most of the game, defence was great and young savage different class. Bredagh looked 2nd best all over a shadow of their former selves. Young skimp showing poor discipline as that's 2 reds in 2 games and young Watson I think (cran number 3) should really be pushing onto seniors as hes proving to be a good marker on some big named players (d,sands being one).

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 79 - 18/11/2019 13:29:28    2250146

Link

Replying To Antrimroad:  "Cran boys put a real shift in up in bredagh being a man down for most of the game, defence was great and young savage different class. Bredagh looked 2nd best all over a shadow of their former selves. Young skimp showing poor discipline as that's 2 reds in 2 games and young Watson I think (cran number 3) should really be pushing onto seniors as hes proving to be a good marker on some big named players (d,sands being one)."
Managed to get to this game last night and I agree with you that Ballycran were by far the better team on the night! Even after losing a man early on in the game! Bredagh looked like a team that were just cobbled together at the last minute, and some of their young lads really weren't up to the task! Why Bredagh weren't partnered off with Carryduff this year is beyond me! Would have made for a more competitive 21 championship! As it stands Bredagh are no real threat to any of the Ards teams at this level! Things need to change for the citysiders dramatically if they are to change their fortunes and become a force in Down, hurling wise! Considering their membership it's hard to believe they are still where they are in their development!
On a more positive note, Bredagh do have some smashing young hurlers at this age group, although their abilities are somewhat restricted by how they play as a team. Hopefully with the right management team in place next year they can improve and move on to the next level!

In reference to Ballycrans performance last night! They were a much tighter outfit than Bredagh and played as a team, they have some star men in their ranks but are very poor in relation to their discipline! The 2 red cards were merited in my opinion! And some of their antics off the ball were disgraceful! Their sideline were totally out of order and the referee got the main brunt of it! But sure it's win at all costs even if the game Is the real loser!

Freetospeech02 (Down) - Posts: 2 - 18/11/2019 15:48:59    2250180

Link

Replying To Freetospeech02:  "Managed to get to this game last night and I agree with you that Ballycran were by far the better team on the night! Even after losing a man early on in the game! Bredagh looked like a team that were just cobbled together at the last minute, and some of their young lads really weren't up to the task! Why Bredagh weren't partnered off with Carryduff this year is beyond me! Would have made for a more competitive 21 championship! As it stands Bredagh are no real threat to any of the Ards teams at this level! Things need to change for the citysiders dramatically if they are to change their fortunes and become a force in Down, hurling wise! Considering their membership it's hard to believe they are still where they are in their development!
On a more positive note, Bredagh do have some smashing young hurlers at this age group, although their abilities are somewhat restricted by how they play as a team. Hopefully with the right management team in place next year they can improve and move on to the next level!

In reference to Ballycrans performance last night! They were a much tighter outfit than Bredagh and played as a team, they have some star men in their ranks but are very poor in relation to their discipline! The 2 red cards were merited in my opinion! And some of their antics off the ball were disgraceful! Their sideline were totally out of order and the referee got the main brunt of it! But sure it's win at all costs even if the game Is the real loser!"
Agree there was poor discipline in the game but I dont remember any disgraceful antics, bredagh done their fair share of 'off the ball tactics' to and it's good to see them lads stand up and give it back. Dont agree with violence and all that nonsense in the gaa but when your team is receiving it I'm all for giving it back twice as hard, something that team didnt do against portaferry.

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 79 - 18/11/2019 17:41:15    2250205

Link

Replying To Freetospeech02:  "Managed to get to this game last night and I agree with you that Ballycran were by far the better team on the night! Even after losing a man early on in the game! Bredagh looked like a team that were just cobbled together at the last minute, and some of their young lads really weren't up to the task! Why Bredagh weren't partnered off with Carryduff this year is beyond me! Would have made for a more competitive 21 championship! As it stands Bredagh are no real threat to any of the Ards teams at this level! Things need to change for the citysiders dramatically if they are to change their fortunes and become a force in Down, hurling wise! Considering their membership it's hard to believe they are still where they are in their development!

In reference to Ballycrans performance last night! They were a much tighter outfit than Bredagh and played as a team, they have some star men in their ranks but are very poor in relation to their discipline! The 2 red cards were merited in my opinion! And some of their antics off the ball were disgraceful! Their sideline were totally out of order and the referee got the main brunt of it! But sure it's win at all costs even if the game Is the real loser!"
Surely no off the ball stuff ballycran would not be at that kind of antics. They complained alot on last round about that kind of tactics my God.

Therealnumer1 (Down) - Posts: 99 - 18/11/2019 17:55:45    2250209

Link

Carryduff and bredagh coming together? Are you mad? Would ballygalget join with Portaferry or ballycran? Absolutely no chance.

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 275 - 18/11/2019 19:06:25    2250226

Link

Replying To Therealnumer1:  "Surely no off the ball stuff ballycran would not be at that kind of antics. They complained alot on last round about that kind of tactics my God."
How dare you insinuate crans would do anything aff the ball.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2566 - 18/11/2019 19:23:42    2250229

Link

Replying To RedDog68:  "Carryduff and bredagh coming together? Are you mad? Would ballygalget join with Portaferry or ballycran? Absolutely no chance."
Did they not play together last year I think they did I watch them against Portaferry in cherry vale I could be wrong

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 210 - 18/11/2019 20:43:39    2250239

Link

Rankins won tonight by point after extra time.....good win by our lads but to be fair Carryduff/O Rahillys were missing a few , no Beattie or Conor Mc Crickard although we were missing a couple of lads too......good competitive game though which is good to see and just pity we just can't seem to find the 'right spot' in the year for it .....to be fair Liam is doing a great job just not enough slots/weeks in the year

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 726 - 18/11/2019 22:20:09    2250248

Link

Cran game in newry then, or will they meet in the middle and go to downpattrick- minor final was there 2 years ago and was a good ground. Anyone know where the game will be played, I see it's down for driday night

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 79 - 19/11/2019 00:03:23    2250265

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Rankins won tonight by point after extra time.....good win by our lads but to be fair Carryduff/O Rahillys were missing a few , no Beattie or Conor Mc Crickard although we were missing a couple of lads too......good competitive game though which is good to see and just pity we just can't seem to find the 'right spot' in the year for it .....to be fair Liam is doing a great job just not enough slots/weeks in the year"
Wots wring with mccrikard, beattie only plays when the Gaelic is finished

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 275 - 19/11/2019 06:30:10    2250268

Link

Replying To RedDog68:  "Carryduff and bredagh coming together? Are you mad? Would ballygalget join with Portaferry or ballycran? Absolutely no chance."
They did it before, fairly recently. I think it's a very weak comparison between the rivalry between Bredagh and Carryduff and the rivalry in the Ards, especially when it comes to hurling.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 98 - 19/11/2019 08:38:19    2250275

Link

Replying To cranfanatic:  "They did it before, fairly recently. I think it's a very weak comparison between the rivalry between Bredagh and Carryduff and the rivalry in the Ards, especially when it comes to hurling."
Played together last year I think

Awaywiththeferrys (Down) - Posts: 210 - 19/11/2019 10:24:56    2250296

Link

Replying To Antrimroad:  "Cran game in newry then, or will they meet in the middle and go to downpattrick- minor final was there 2 years ago and was a good ground. Anyone know where the game will be played, I see it's down for driday night"
Yeah teams that top their group get home venue.....chance that game may be Sunday now due to Pairc Esler being closed for pitch renovations......

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 726 - 19/11/2019 10:42:52    2250300

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Yeah teams that top their group get home venue.....chance that game may be Sunday now due to Pairc Esler being closed for pitch renovations......"
Ahh right should be two good and competitive semi finals, looking forward to them both

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 79 - 19/11/2019 11:54:39    2250310

Link