Down Forum

A Down SENIOR hurling league in Down.....!!??

(Oldest Posts First)

http://gaeliclife.com/2016/03/ballycran-boss-mcaree-calls-for-senior-league/

Interesting from Stephen on the possibility of a Down senior hurling league.... Thoughts?? What you make of this Bricktop? Feasible or a complete non-runner??

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1615 - 31/03/2016 16:48:54    1839755

Link

Surely this isn't feasible! The Antrim league is much more competitive than a Down league would ever be. Bredagh and Carryduff senior teams are playing in the intermediate championship for a reason, they just can't compete at the top level and I don't think an amalgamation team would change that. Keep things the way they are, we have no problem fighting with Cushendall and Loughgiel for Antrim league honours.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 113 - 03/04/2016 17:40:02    1840947

Link

Yeah, I cant see how this would work out either. Like you say, the Antrim league is THEE place to be for Down teams if they want regular competitive hurling.

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1615 - 04/04/2016 11:17:47    1841415

Link

Third time lucky...

I don't think a senior league in the true sense is feasible unless its a preseason thing played without county seniors and possibly minors, but I think Stevies main argument is being lost in the headline.

His main gripe is the lack of activity at CB level for the club hurler in Down, mickey mouse leagues hastily thrown together, run off at both ends of the season and club championships run off as quickly as possibly, yet there's a guaranteed 2 championship games for all senior footballers and so on...

Double standards....

LAst year was a disaster for club hurling, hopefully it'll be better this year, but I won't hold my breathe

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2501 - 08/04/2016 09:29:19    1843329

Link