Down Forum

Is Micky Johnston the right man for Down?

(Oldest Posts First)

Jonty makes some weird team selections. Starting Conor Woods,who in my (biased) opinion is the best centre back in Ulster, at wing half forward/midfield in the Ulster final last year was one of the strangest decisions I've seen. Conor O'Neill is a good player but he doesn't deserve to be starting centre half back before Woodsy. He starts players like Ryan Brannigan,while he has Brett Nicholson sitting on the bench. His job is to pick the best team,leave the promotion of the game to the county board.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 113 - 21/02/2016 15:34:58    1826947

Link

He can't do any better than 2 out of 2 this season, so far so good. I suppose this is the time to experiment with your selectionew. I am surprised by the Brannigan selection myself.

swan song (None) - Posts: 451 - 21/02/2016 16:23:13    1826978

Link

Outside of Toner, Branigan was mom today.. Agree with some weird selections finty Conway centre forward and woods mid field.. Probably 2 of the best half backs at this level

dingle82 (Down) - Posts: 188 - 21/02/2016 18:30:23    1827013

Link

Woodsy is a good centre back, but too much of a ball player to be left in there especially on a good centre forward and I'd be inclined to put him in midfield or on the wing where there's a bit more space and less need to do the nitty gritty physical stuff that O'Neill and even James McGrath are better suited to, remember Kilkenny don't put their best stickmen in that position.
As for Finty, he's getting on and I'd have always had him down as a handy enough defender, but our forward unit are light and need someone in there to do a ball winning job, if he can keep his head and distribute the ball better then he could do a job, horses for courses I'm afraid with Stiffler and Deccy McManus more than likely out for the year.

Mayo at home will probably set us up for another crack at them in the play off.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2501 - 22/02/2016 10:53:51    1827139

Link

Is this a relatively new/young team or is there a few of the old heads left from your Christy Ring success? I know players such as Paul Braniff and Magic Johnson have retired! Nice to see Down still in the mix and promotion would be a big shot in the arm.

doubletree (Dublin) - Posts: 164 - 22/02/2016 13:54:55    1827200

Link

What club is young Campbell from, he came on as a sub yesterday against Wicklow?

portavogielad (Down) - Posts: 446 - 22/02/2016 17:26:16    1827289

Link

Doubletree there are about 7 lads left on the panel from the 2013 All Ireland success. Dule, Magic, Ciaran Coulter, James Coyle, Johnny McCusker, Michael Ennis and Scott Nicholson and co have all hug up their intercounty hurls. We've a good crop of young talent coming through and hopefully promotion on the horizon.

Portavogielad - Ruairi Campbell is form the Shamrocks' Club.

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 553 - 23/02/2016 14:28:23    1827492

Link

Here block top just because yer man woods wears a black and amber shirt in club games don't make him in the same class as Kilkenny players. Good, yes but just no that good. All players have to be able to have stick ability and be able to mix it.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2567 - 25/02/2016 10:15:11    1827977

Link

Taggart very good player and played very well on Saturday would Good everybody is experts and i bet nobody have been at any of the games?

Need to mix it up as we've been in this league for four years and woods centre back for them. Think switch to mid is good for the team as he gets on the ball free alot more.

What will team be against Mayo? Few notable people on bench.. Egan, oprey, sean ennis?

Cattleman6 (Down) - Posts: 96 - 25/02/2016 10:34:34    1827985

Link

Craphill,
Who said Woods was in the same class as Kilkenny players, I was talking about the style of players in certain positions, but suppose thats way over your head.
Even Cattleman agrees with me about Woods better suited to a more fluid position.
Some hurlers are just better with the hurl than others, TJ Reid is better than anyone else in the KK team, doesn't mean the rest are bad

Taggart is a good wee hurler, only concerns would be over the ground on bigger, dryer pitches.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2501 - 26/02/2016 08:46:35    1828296

Link

Block top as I always said if you cast a line far enough you can always reel in a trout. Lol.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2567 - 26/02/2016 09:10:27    1828299

Link

Well lads, how do you think it will go on Sunday? I'd say after seeing what the Rossies did to us, you'll be thinking you can have a right cut off us. And considering the way we are playing at the minute, you would be right!

Huge game I think for both, if Kerry lose this I really fear for our Divison 1 status. We have a red hot Donegal coming down next week and two tough away prospects in Monaghan (who beat us at home last year) and Mayo (who I don't think we have beaten in the League in about 5 years). Difficult to see where the wins are going to come from if we don't get one on Sunday.

It's my first time traveling up to Newry so looking forward to it, I love that about the League the chance to head off to places you'd never see in the Championship, you'd get sick of shuffling between Ennis, the Gaelic Grounds and Thurles!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6338 - 26/02/2016 11:11:39    1828342

Link

TheHermit,
This is the hurling thread, shocking as that may seem in a county like Down!

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2501 - 26/02/2016 13:36:11    1828406

Link

Jesus sorry Lads!!!

I'll repost it on the football one. Nothing shocking about it, I know the Ards has a fine tradition of hurling. I'm from that little enclave in north Kerry myself where hurling has always been the number one sport. Thank god were are finally starting to live up to our potential at inter-county level, hopefully its a lesson to all counties that have kept the small ball going in the shadow of the big one!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6338 - 26/02/2016 14:37:21    1828428

Link

Found wanting and will have to go (probably wont as the CB in a complete mess), maybe the ports will have more backers this year than last for a coup d'é-tat - issues more deep seated than a manager though, and IMO too many players just not good/driven/physical enough to be county hurlers

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 06/04/2016 08:24:47    1842395

Link

Portaferry's attempted Coup was a personal gripe between Micky and the club, it wasn't anything to do with results on the pitch.

Now that the results have went teats up a good Christy Ring campaign would be the only thing to save him IMO.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2501 - 06/04/2016 16:11:01    1842708

Link

Portaferry's attempted Coup was a personal gripe between Micky and the club, it wasn't anything to do with results on the pitch.

Not according to their rep at the co board meeting - he questioned how the reappointment wasn't even being discussed by the board and indeed the clubs, when the objectives MJ set himself and the team were missed by a considerable margin.
A fair comment at that time and now in hindsight a correct one, you do wonder what the other club reps input was or are they there just to make up numbers.
In regards to a alleged gripe between the manager and the club, it has obviously been settled amicably and both parties have moved on.

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 07/04/2016 16:12:20    1843111

Link