Down Forum

Down hurling future

(Oldest Posts First)

Looking back on the 2014 season, we can say it has been an interesting one.
The u14 (bredagh), u16 (carryduff), minor (leitrim), junior (carryduff) and intermediate (bredagh) hurling championships have all been outside the ards.
What does this say about the future of down hurling. A very positive statistic in my eyes and the more competitive hurling is in down the better.

upandwin (Down) - Posts: 93 - 16/10/2014 10:27:37    1664180

Link

It says a lot upandwin about down hurling, it is just whether some others are willing to jump aboard the same ship for the good of down hurling

Christy4Down (Down) - Posts: 177 - 16/10/2014 12:37:04    1664228

Link

A very positive statistic in my eyes and the more competitive hurling is in down the better.

Agreed, but the proof of the pudding will be senior hurling and it'll take another 5 or 6 years of sustained development by Bredagh, Carryduff. Liatroim etc, etc, to be competitive let alone win at senior.

The Ards clubs only need two or three good uns out of a juvenile team to make seniors, winning juvenile is something maybe Portaferry would have the numbers for to compete with the South Belfast teams and a Liatroim/Ballela/Castlewellan amalgamation.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2501 - 16/10/2014 14:03:54    1664263

Link

it's all well and good these teams winning which is good to see and is giving us a bit of a wakeup call but as we've seen before you will get about 3 or 4 players out of them teams to senior level more will go to the big ball game,the Ards teams have provided most to the seniors and will do for the foreseeable future, but on the other hand there is a good mix of clubs on the minor panel which if looked after right will go a long way to making a non Ards county team along with the non Ards player's already on the team as they say"the future is looking rosy"

galget1967 (Down) - Posts: 131 - 16/10/2014 14:31:03    1664280

Link

It's great to see six teams competing for juvenile honours now but the big question is has the standard in the Ards dropped or have the others caught up.
All 3 Ards teams struggle for numbers. They aren't raising the big families they did years ago! I think that's part of the problem at jouth level.

I was at the county u16 final last week. While it was great top see 2 teams from outside the ards contesting the final, it's only fair to point out that both teams were effectively amalgamations. Liatroim had 5 lads from Castlewellan, 2 from Ballela and 1 from Dromara. Carryduff had 3 from St Paul's and 1 from Darragh Cross.

Overall I think the standard in South Down is higher than ever and we have closed the gap on the Ards at youth level but we are struggling for numbers too.

It's great to see Carryduff & Bredagh winning county JHC & IHC championships with young teams. At one time the Ards clubs would have been favorites to win all 3 adult competitions.

Bredagh proved they are the 4th best team in the county by winning the IHC, but they are a long way behind the 3 senior teams. They only beat Ballycran IIs by a point after all.

I think there's good work bein done but theres still a long way to go. The priority for next year has to be more fixtures for juveniles !! 6 or 8 games a year isn't near enough.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1079 - 16/10/2014 15:04:54    1664305

Link

I think there's good work bein done but theres still a long way to go. The priority for next year has to be more fixtures for juveniles !! 6 or 8 games a year isn't near enough.

Agreed,
But we can't rely on the CB to come up with something, it has to come from the clubs involved.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2501 - 16/10/2014 16:49:22    1664363

Link

Frank, there was only 1 St Pauls lad on the Carryduff U-16 team they have a couple on the minor panel but just the 1 U-16.
You can call them amalgamated teams or whatever u like but if a lad's home club has no team for him then surely it's better that he hurls somewhere reather than be lost to the game

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 567 - 16/10/2014 17:07:50    1664371

Link

Dont want to be a spoilsport,but not while my backside looks south will these teams compete at senior level.
South down sides may be picking up some silverwear but thats where it will end,not enough funding/developement
being pumped in ANYWHERE for this to happen,BIG BALL will always come first im afraid.

Good job being done over the pond and up the road by a few but it will be difficult to keep a squad together to mount a challange.

THE.SHAFT (Down) - Posts: 198 - 16/10/2014 20:00:50    1664477

Link

Agreed,
But we can't rely on the CB to come up with something, it has to come from the clubs involved.

I think that's the key. A few years ago the Ballycran chairman called a meeting of all the hurling people. It was well attended and helped kick start things. Development squads & fixtures improved for a while.

Need to do the same again me thinks.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 952 - 17/10/2014 08:22:47    1664556

Link

Maybe a bit off topic but well done to the An Dun Mageean cup squad today after a super win over a very fancied St Marys side.

THE.SHAFT (Down) - Posts: 198 - 17/10/2014 18:18:39    1664787

Link

Time to wake up and smell the coffee. Hurling in Down is going backwards.. The writing was on the wall the day the County done away with a hurling committee. The standard of senior club hurling in the county is a joke now. Look at the Intermediate champions Bredagh, they didn't win a match in Div 2 Antrim, and were put out in the first round of Ulster. Senior champions, Portaferry are second from bottom in Div 1 Antrim and will probably get relegated. There is some good work going on at Juvenile level in clubs like Bredagh but the standard of competition in the county at this level is poor. If the hurling clubs in Down are serious about raising the standard of hurling then their juvenile teams need to compete in the Antrim leagues if they are to stand any chance of success and avoid losing talented players to the big ball.

FintanObama (Antrim) - Posts: 8 - 18/10/2014 17:22:27    1664986

Link

I really enjoyed, for the most part, the hurling this year - particularly the Championship games!! Newry & Ballela gave us 3 cracking games and the Newry v Latroim semi-final was a superb match to watch. The senior semi was a bit of a non-event with Portaferry hammering a poor Galget side but the final was really exciting and a really enjoyable spectacle with the Ports beating the hot-favs, Ballycran.

One of the best performances, for me, was Liatroim minors winning the Minor A Championship, beating Galgets in an excellent final in Darragh Cross. A really good second-half performance saw them run out winners.

Carryduff also punched above their weight by winning the JHC and it will be interesting to see if they push on next year in the IHC. Bredagh annexed the IHC with a late point against Ballycran but they got relegated from Antrim Div 2, so a mixed year for them.
Portaferry remain the only team in the Ulster Club Championships after both Carryduff and Bredagh got beat by a single point in their respective games.

I would like to see the Hurling Board re-formed so that more attention and focus on the small-ball game can be made. It's going to be a LONG 'close' season, so let's hope the Ports can deliver next week and keep the interest in Down hurling active for a bit longer.

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1615 - 20/10/2014 10:51:23    1665370

Link

It'll be another two weeks before the Ports are in action, in Armagh I'm led to believe!

As for good, close exciting games, then yes there were some, but that doesn't mean the standard was great.

At least playing in Antrim for clubs gives us a chance to benchmark where we are, we're competitive in the Antrim league, Ballygalget got relegated and Ports hung on.

Bredagh struggled in Div2 and if were to play Rossa, the Antrim intermediate champions, they'd get hammered.

Bredagh are still the pick of the rest in Down, so I think that's all we need to know about the standard we're reaching at.

Here's hoping Liatroim do well in the Ulster Minor Club hurling championship in Ballinascreen.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2501 - 20/10/2014 11:04:43    1665378

Link