Down Forum

McCorry's Challenge

(Oldest Posts First)

What must Jim McCorry do to get us back to winning ways?
Personally Im glad to see an outsider in charge as it really is time for a new brush and all that with no baggage.
He obviously will have a decent handle on the talent within the county. We've probably seen the last of the Turleys & Dan McCartan and hopefully he can get Dan & Ambrose firing on all cylinders again. Hopefully Marty Clarke will commit and with young Mooney this would be a great advantage. Promotion will be a tall order in his 1st season as he will be trying new players and to imbed his system. I really hope we move away from the blanket defence, play to our strengths and unearth a few new prospects

lethaldrill (Down) - Posts: 18 - 22/09/2014 13:35:52    1655310

Link

The obvious challenge facing McCorry is to get the county's best players representing the team. Mooney returning is a massive boost, we need to get Martin Clarke back on board and Paul McComiskey as well. The team has been adversely affected in recent years by important players leaving - it's no coincidence that the only year in the past while that virtually every player has been available for the county, we reached an All-Ireland Final. I don't agree that we've seen the end of the Turleys, if anything I thought Damien was underused last year and Peter definitely has a part to play. One of the most encouraging things about McCorry is that, having managed extensively at club level in Down, he will have superb knowledge of the club scene and (hopefully) will have his finger on the pulse in terms of who can improve the panel.

Another big task for McCorry in my eyes is to either unearth a couple of excellent corner backs or introduce a system that compensates for our lack of them. But we also need to play a style of football that offers a balance between defensive and attacking football. Our tactics over the past couple of years have been extremely defensive, and we very rarely offered any kind of threat going forward against decent teams (Derry 2013 aside). The return of the three forwards I mentioned above would be a massive boost in that area.

Gabriel. (Down) - Posts: 412 - 30/09/2014 14:44:47    1658605

Link

Agree 100% Gabriel. I'm actually really excited for the new year ahead and I think we could shock a few people. I wanted mcEntee for the job but it wasn't to be. However McCorry is a shrewd operator and has taken Kilcoo to great success. He knows Down football inside and out and he will do a good job. My Dad has been following Down football since the 50's through thick and thin and reckons McCorry was the right man for the job all along, so who am I to argue!
I also agree with you about the Turley's. Peter is a good utility player and can slot in at midfield or in defence and his strength is something we can utilise. The likes of Clarke, Mooney and perhaps James Colgan should also give us a little more physicality something we have been badly lacking in. All in all interesting times ahead.

neverafree (Down) - Posts: 456 - 03/10/2014 21:00:14    1659929

Link

Neverafree, is James Colgan not still in New Zealand ? He was also supposed to have picked up an injury out there a couple of years ago and there does not seem to have been any recent talk about him coming home.

MourneRising (Down) - Posts: 238 - 04/10/2014 14:49:49    1660073

Link

Jim is a great appointment for down, he's well respected within the county have never heard anybody say he's the wrong Man, if he gets Clarke bk on board that will be huge and a few more of the kilcoo lads , also if down work as hard as kilcoo with there never say die attitude we can get back to the top table ( within a couple of years ). Another thing we have 4 league games at home so this gives us a great opportunity to get bk with the big boys. Can't wait for 2015.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 537 - 04/10/2014 16:48:19    1660112

Link

Is Ryan Mallon available this year ?

Burnsey (Down) - Posts: 561 - 05/10/2014 14:27:04    1660333

Link

Derry v Down. If the first side out of the hat plays at home, which is usually the case, am I correct in saying we have played away in our first Ulster game every year since 1999? Fifteen years. That is incredible stuff.

Gabriel. (Down) - Posts: 412 - 09/10/2014 19:53:20    1661997

Link

Gabriel
I think we had 1 home game in that time but I maybe wrong. Newry wasn't much benefit this year but a first round draw is always welcomed and gives a good boost to the county. And if we do manage to get passed Derry its Armagh, Tyrone or Donegal so Jim McCorry is certainly in at the deep end

lethaldrill (Down) - Posts: 18 - 10/10/2014 12:29:57    1662338

Link

I read in todays paper that Dundrums John Morgan is to join the new County backroom team ,

To be honest I was expecting someone with a proven track record and more experience at senior level, what his roll will be I am not sure ,

as Mark Copeland is in as trainer ,Credit to John he did help train Down minors that won an All Ireland ,but this is a different level completely

Isuppose we will just trust McCorrys judgement on this one

germac (Down) - Posts: 329 - 15/10/2014 20:26:48    1664114

Link

What's Benny up to, not that long ago he was mad keen to get back for another year now he's more or less preparing his exit

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 22/10/2014 11:45:14    1666055

Link

Benny's always been very keen to play for Down. Unfortunately, he's too honest about how he's feeling. He should have told them a few months back that he'll consider his future after the club championship. He's bound to play a part next year. If he doesn't, he will be a massive loss (best player along with Conor Laverty in the Kildare game) but he's owes us nothing after all these years.

ajdoyle78 (Down) - Posts: 520 - 22/10/2014 17:30:26    1666215

Link

Spot on Doyler, Benny owes us nothing. He more than anyone else on the panel would love silverware with the County and has given every morsel in his body in pursuit of county honours. The spirit is no doubt willing but his body is telling him something else and he would be foolish to ignore it. Father time hasn't missed anyone yet and the great Benny Coulter is no exception.

lethaldrill (Down) - Posts: 18 - 23/10/2014 17:50:56    1666635

Link