Down Forum

What Happened

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To BannGael:  "
Replying To AnDunCeanada:  "I think everything needs to be put into a bit of context. I do agree there are a probably a couple of players (no more imo) who for me have consistently shown that they aren't at county level - but I wouldn't write off the younger players especially those under fire in defence after Sunday.

In reality we were missing our captain and best defender and arguably the second best defenders in the county (Darryl and Aaron Brannigan) aren't making themselves available. Big players like Gerard McGovern and Niall McParland likewise. That's a hell of a lot of talent unavailable.

Bear in mind that Murdock and Fegan are playing in their first championship season, Laverty who was playing a different role and Guinness in their second. As much as I don't agree with how he managed the game on Sunday, I think Tally deserves credit for blooding and developing some talented players - who will, given time, hopefully become top county players."
Given the fact we losted a 10 point lead against a average Cavan team , this shouldn't happen I honestly think Tally got it wrong he losted the run of himself , as for saying about the Brannigan brothers , these lads not interested so we have to work with what's available, as I said earlier a losing a 10 point lead is no exceptable at this level"
So you're saying Down have to "work with what's available" while also saying that what's available isn't good enough - so what's the answer then, how do Down move forward?

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 97 - 19/11/2020 09:48:01    2311306

Link

Replying To AnDunCeanada:  "
Replying To BannGael:  "[quote=AnDunCeanada:  "I think everything needs to be put into a bit of context. I do agree there are a probably a couple of players (no more imo) who for me have consistently shown that they aren't at county level - but I wouldn't write off the younger players especially those under fire in defence after Sunday.

In reality we were missing our captain and best defender and arguably the second best defenders in the county (Darryl and Aaron Brannigan) aren't making themselves available. Big players like Gerard McGovern and Niall McParland likewise. That's a hell of a lot of talent unavailable.

Bear in mind that Murdock and Fegan are playing in their first championship season, Laverty who was playing a different role and Guinness in their second. As much as I don't agree with how he managed the game on Sunday, I think Tally deserves credit for blooding and developing some talented players - who will, given time, hopefully become top county players."
Given the fact we losted a 10 point lead against a average Cavan team , this shouldn't happen I honestly think Tally got it wrong he losted the run of himself , as for saying about the Brannigan brothers , these lads not interested so we have to work with what's available, as I said earlier a losing a 10 point lead is no exceptable at this level"
So you're saying Down have to "work with what's available" while also saying that what's available isn't good enough - so what's the answer then, how do Down move forward?"]All I have said was work with what we have obviously if we good enough to get a 10
Point lead up therefore should be good enough to weather the storm of a comeback, Tally losted it along the line in my eyes

BannGael (Down) - Posts: 40 - 19/11/2020 17:51:45    2311505

Link

Replying To BannGael:  "
Replying To AnDunCeanada:  "[quote=BannGael:  "[quote=AnDunCeanada:  "I think everything needs to be put into a bit of context. I do agree there are a probably a couple of players (no more imo) who for me have consistently shown that they aren't at county level - but I wouldn't write off the younger players especially those under fire in defence after Sunday.

So you're saying Down have to "work with what's available" while also saying that what's available isn't good enough - so what's the answer then, how do Down move forward?"]All I have said was work with what we have obviously if we good enough to get a 10
Point lead up therefore should be good enough to weather the storm of a comeback, Tally losted it along the line in my eyes"]Sorry but you also said you "100% agree" - that 5/6 of the players aren't at county standard to be fair mate. So while saying Tally has to "work with what's available", you're also saying that a lot of what's available isn't good enough. So what should he do? how do Down progress?

I agree, sideline decision making was a big reason why they lost on Sunday but it also has to be taken in context; specifically the inexperience of the defence and the players missing - as well as the overlooked fact that this is Tally's first county manager role.

It was embarrassing to see but in reality it's a work in progress, I think to be fair to him we are in a better place in terms of squad depth/talent than were we were a few years back.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 97 - 19/11/2020 19:24:17    2311524

Link

heard a interesting fact 33 years in Ulster football
Minor
Under 21
Senior
That's 99 Ulster titles to be won

Down have won 7

No matter what , everyone on here saying this that and the other , can't argue with fact , really this isn't good enough, people trying to blame this one and that one , it's all going wrong from MINOR level , the development squads doing a great job
Giving the lads plenty off football
Putting them threw good coaching
Good selection of players from all over the county
Playing against and beating the so called bigger county's Dublin , Monaghan, Tyrone's etc etc ,
Then when it gets to minor level it falls apart . Minor management getting a 5th year in charge and what have they won ?? Then after their last defeat in championship V Tyrone in newry the manager in his interview said , " the players just not there "
If this was a business coming up threw the ranks and when it gets to a certain stage and keeps falling apart , questions would be ask as to what's going wrong especially when doing so well in previous years !! . Total joke to be honest , this crap about "the Down way " serious as a county we need to wise up and sort out our underage minor setup ,

BannGael (Down) - Posts: 40 - 19/11/2020 20:54:13    2311550

Link

Did the minors not go like 5/6 years without winning a championship game until 2/3 years ago?

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 281 - 20/11/2020 13:57:46    2311694

Link

Replying To RedDog68:  "Did the minors not go like 5/6 years without winning a championship game until 2/3 years ago?"
Really maybe so but is that your best point ?? Considering Development squads can complete and beat the so called bigger counties

BannGael (Down) - Posts: 40 - 20/11/2020 15:35:02    2311739

Link