Westmeath Forum

Minor Hurling Final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Presume it's free in as people all paid to see it last weekend

Dote (Westmeath) - Posts: 214 - 23/10/2015 18:18:14    1801627

Link

I am glad for the young lads that they will contest there final but and yes but the county board will make a killing at the gate because the same raharney and clonkills that were in last week will have to pay again it cant be free in because nobody has a stub to say they were at last week's fixture . double standards at play from the clubs apology all round I've heard and written apology to county chairman in next week's paper , , valley I can't see to many other clubs use this route in future only the same ones again , when you push the boat out so far and all that rubbish.............

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 23/10/2015 19:28:38    1801639

Link

Credit to everyone involved in minor final, Clonkill were deserving winners after an absorbing clash, conditions deteriorated during the game and yet all players and indeed officials contributed to a high standard and hugely competitive and sporting clash, not sure if any players were yellow carded, Raharney's keeper made two outstanding saves, the Doyles tried very hard and played well and certainly James Goonery did not deserve to be on the losing side but Clonkill were better balanced with Peadar Scally, Darragh Egerton, Niall Mitchell, man of the match Jack O Brien, Adam Loughlin and Michael Scally all prominent, the long range point taking was first class with Ciaran Doyle, Adam Loughlin and Jack O Brien outstanding in this regard, very decent crowd at it too and inadvertently the bank holiday in Halloween may be the future date for this final, certainly the large crowd present were treated to a spectacle, well done to all concerned.

kawaifive0 (Westmeath) - Posts: 112 - 26/10/2015 16:31:36    1801999

Link

Cracking game well contested very good skill levels on show and well refereed.The minor final was worth the wait.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 860 - 26/10/2015 18:40:32    1802036

Link

How many Clonkill players were playing minor football for the Downs?

I think Raharney have gone back at underage level the last few years. Only natural with the huge efforts at senior and developing their new pitches.

When the likes of St Ernans and Eire Og amalgamations inevitably break up, will any of the stand alone clubs be able to field minor teams?

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1799 - 26/10/2015 19:44:11    1802061

Link

Raharney get to the minor final and lose a close, fantastic game and somehow valley thinks they have gone backwards?? Good logic!!

Well done to both teams, certainly worth the wait. A brilliant game in poor conditions. Thought Goonery for Raharney was very good and didn't deserve to be on the losing side. Clonkill have some very good young players on that side and the future of westmeath hurling looks bright if this final was anything to go by.

With regards to the mention of amalgamated clubs standing alone after minor, its up to these clubs to raise their standard and put priority into their underage structure from u-10 or u-12. People like valley think the world is against their club which is the mentality that guarantees no progression. Its up to these clubs to get to the level of the champions Clonkill.

dakid (Australia) - Posts: 263 - 26/10/2015 20:39:15    1802080

Link

I think there were 7-8 lads on the Clonkill team that also won the minor with The Downs. A lot of these lads also won minor hurling & football last year. Must be some sort of record to win the minor double back to back.

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 27/10/2015 08:05:13    1802104

Link

Any word on who will be in charge of the minor hurlers next year? Surely the manager to be will have wanted to be at that game yesterday to get an eye on what's available to him

thedodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 36 - 27/10/2015 13:30:59    1802249

Link

My point about Raharney was more that they aren't producing 6/7 quality hurlers at each age level like they used to a few years ago.

Westmeath hurling will never improve or develop until there are proper development plans put in place to bring more clubs up to a higher standard of coaching and give the best players from smaller clubs more chance to train/play with those from other clubs

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1799 - 27/10/2015 16:16:26    1802360

Link

Good to see that Michael Ryan has brought Tommy Carr in as strength and conditioning coach players on the panel will be seen one on one for first assessment in the barracks and given programs to work on there own they will be brought in every 2 weeks and seen if they improve and if not they won't be considered for team selection Carr will be advising Ryan on this and will have a big say in selection this is the kind of professionalism that is needed and what the progressing counties are doing for a good few years now, Carr is one of the top strength and conditioning coaches in Ireland. And it's about time our butlers were brought up to scratch with the footballers.

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 29/10/2015 15:36:56    1802911

Link

Hurlers not butlers lol

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 29/10/2015 15:38:11    1802913

Link

Where is your proof that Tommy Carr is one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in ireland? What is his S and C cv like? A hurling coach to take regular sessions is much more important for our hurlers, Michael Walsh only did a few sessions last year, we need a decent hurling coach, look at Clare introducing Cusack, it may be someone within the county, Nick Weir is an impressive coach, likewise selectors who know about the local scene, Eddie Casey and John Kennedy were very knowledgeable last year and I understand that both have stepped down. Certainly hope that 7/8 players from Monday's minor final are introduced if only to give them idea of commitment and work involved, also crucial that our hurlers at third level play with their colleges, very rare to see Westmeath players on Fitzgibbon cup panels and this is the level required.

kawaifive0 (Westmeath) - Posts: 112 - 29/10/2015 17:08:21    1802946

Link

Lads strength and conditioning is not just something that happens overnight or you pay lip service to for a couple of months. You really don't get near the top level of inter county fitness from one pre-season. We should be looking at implementing a strength and conditioning strategy across the board - starting from U16/minor. Do we have an appointed expert in the area that's attached the the county board or minor board who can advise and plan accordingly? Same goes for nutrition and physiotherapy/injury prevention. I believe Tommy Carr has a BA in strength and conditioning from Setanta College.

I also will add to what Valley84 has mentioned (several times in the past) - there needs to be a development plan in place to identify talented youngsters and bring them through from an earlier age. In addition all clubs need to start getting ALL of their coaches trained right from u6/u8 mentors up. Increase the quality of the coaching and in turn you will develop better skilled players. Basic stuff like holding the hurling the wrong way, switching hands and catching with the wrong hand are very common at underage. Experienced coaches know how to spot this and correct it before the bad habits develop.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 91 - 29/10/2015 18:12:12    1802960

Link

Carr is up there with the best like him or not he has the qualifications the kilkenny man that was there last year is a selector this year and adrian moran of ringtown is the name i have heard this evening as hurling coach nick weir has been mentioned as a selector but this is not finalised kennedy and chubby casey are gone and i beleive casey is being linked to a management job with a senior club pat clancy is uncertain with brownstown back senior the u-21 has a new manager and the name that being linked with it is pat o brien, tommy carr is also s and c coach here too derek gallagher was linked with the minor job but turned it down joachim kelly of offaly is the latest name here.

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 29/10/2015 20:57:03    1803001

Link

Rodger if the man is that good why can't he get a role with the footballers or any club team for that matter?

footiemad (Westmeath) - Posts: 733 - 30/10/2015 09:00:41    1803029

Link

Tommy needs to do some work with his own football club first.
Adrian Moran is a decent coach I believe, but coaching underage and adult level can be very, very different. Again, experience is needed for county level.
Where are the coaches from the senior clubs? CTG, Clonkill, Raharney etc these are the coaches who should be involved.

The likes of Clare have appointed a full time paid S&C coach to oversee all their teams and provide support to clubs. Less money on new stands, money on direct coaching is needed

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1799 - 30/10/2015 10:48:39    1803053

Link

Clare are hardly a good example to use for spending less money on new stands. They are currently redeveloping Cusack Park Ennis in its entirety. The difference is they know how to fundraise, and have a few generous backers. But this follows success, like being all-Ireland champs only 2 years ago.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 278 - 30/10/2015 12:23:11    1803080

Link

Do we reckon many minors will be called up to senior squad? For me egerton Mitchell qamar and 2 doyles

westmeath2015 (Westmeath) - Posts: 153 - 02/11/2015 18:04:40    1803808

Link

Why wouldn't Co. Clare be a good example?
Dual county with one smaller code than the other (by number of clubs)
Rural county with two big urban population areas (Ennis, Shannon)
Local third level colleges
Good tradition in secondary schools GAA
Big river flowing down one side of it...

they have correcty recognised the need for S&C expertise for the whole county from clubs, schools, county panels. Same with Wexford who have totally rearranged their coaching setup in the last two years by head-hunting a lad who was over the hurling development in Cavan to oversee the whole structure and plans.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1799 - 02/11/2015 21:25:57    1803878

Link

I heard niall Mitchell and dara egerton from clonkill only one of the Doyle's killian from raharney. Sean Lancaster from castlepollard and Sean Maher from castletown, Lancaster and Maher these two can't committ leaving certs I'm told but probally because they are involved with u-21 county footballers who have been together a few weeks now. Dara quamar and the big lad from castlepollard name won't come to me half a Devine I think could probally be called in I'm sure all and more from minor will be called into u-21 hurling.There is a meeting friday night for the senior panel and I believe the 3 grevilles from raharney are in contention for the county senior footballers.

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 04/11/2015 16:16:52    1804431

Link