Westmeath Forum

County U17 Footballers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

So the Leinster MFC restarts this Sat with our lads away to Meath in Navan 1230pm live on TG4 Youtube.
Remind me who is over this group and what shape are they in ?
I recall Killucan defeated Moate in div 1 final and Tubberclair with a couple of nice footballers beat The Downs in div 2 decider. I assume Lomans, Shandonagh, Kinnegad well represented too. Any stand out stars for future ??

I see U17 hurlers out on Sunday home to Dublin, no dual players I hope ??

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 08/12/2020 00:43:55    2320074

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "So the Leinster MFC restarts this Sat with our lads away to Meath in Navan 1230pm live on TG4 Youtube.
I recall Killucan defeated Moate in div 1 final and Tubberclair with a couple of nice footballers beat The Downs in div 2 decider. I assume Lomans, Shandonagh, Kinnegad well represented too. Any stand out stars for future ??

I see U17 hurlers out on Sunday home to Dublin, no dual players I hope ??"
Killucan are the best team in this age group, so I would be shocked if there are no dual players.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 278 - 08/12/2020 11:00:31    2320145

Link

Replying To jamsie:  "Killucan are the best team in this age group, so I would be shocked if there are no dual players."
There are 6 dual players i heard.
Also i assume your comment that killucan are the best team at this age group is based solely on the fact you see they won the final. I was told that in Div.1 the winning margin in the championship quarter/semi's games was no more 2pts with Moate coming from nowhere to reach the final and killucan losing by 6 to Lomans in the last group game, having scored a peno with the last kick. In this group at ages 14/16 St Lomans and Kinnegad were the dominant teams with them both losing a quarter final this year by 1pt each ,they then contested the shield final which St Lomans won by 1 pt. It was by all accounts one of the closest championships in years with little between teams.

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 08/12/2020 12:53:58    2320200

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "There are 6 dual players i heard.
Also i assume your comment that killucan are the best team at this age group is based solely on the fact you see they won the final. I was told that in Div.1 the winning margin in the championship quarter/semi's games was no more 2pts with Moate coming from nowhere to reach the final and killucan losing by 6 to Lomans in the last group game, having scored a peno with the last kick. In this group at ages 14/16 St Lomans and Kinnegad were the dominant teams with them both losing a quarter final this year by 1pt each ,they then contested the shield final which St Lomans won by 1 pt. It was by all accounts one of the closest championships in years with little between teams."
ah yeah it was solely based on the fact they won the championship. I don't have much knowledge of this group of players.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 278 - 08/12/2020 13:43:12    2320226

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "There are 6 dual players i heard.
Also i assume your comment that killucan are the best team at this age group is based solely on the fact you see they won the final. I was told that in Div.1 the winning margin in the championship quarter/semi's games was no more 2pts with Moate coming from nowhere to reach the final and killucan losing by 6 to Lomans in the last group game, having scored a peno with the last kick. In this group at ages 14/16 St Lomans and Kinnegad were the dominant teams with them both losing a quarter final this year by 1pt each ,they then contested the shield final which St Lomans won by 1 pt. It was by all accounts one of the closest championships in years with little between teams."
I agree killucan quite strong yes but that championship could've went any way this year towards Lomans or moate. Kinnegad and Caulry also put it up to killucan and as far as I can recall Caulry only lost out my a couple of bad goals.
Sean leech and sami Clarke standout players from killucan along with Mikey Moffatt from the downs , Danny mccartan of lomans any a few from the likes of tubberclair and moate. Can't see them getting close to Meath though , Meath by far strongest team at this age and bet Dublin by 15 points last day out.
Dual players are Sean leech , Danny mccartan, Jamie mulkearns & there's a few more aswell

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 08/12/2020 16:23:11    2320310

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "So the Leinster MFC restarts this Sat with our lads away to Meath in Navan 1230pm live on TG4 Youtube.

I see U17 hurlers out on Sunday home to Dublin, no dual players I hope ??"
Standout players in my view would be sami Clarke & Sean leech of killucan , Mikey Moffatt of the downs , Matthew Whittaker and Tom kelleher of tubberclair, Toby conteh of moate & Danny mccartan of Lomans.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 08/12/2020 16:26:07    2320315

Link

Hard luck to the young lads

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1809 - 12/12/2020 20:48:36    2321698

Link

Meath a different class, next year it will be Dublin. We are miles behind in every way that involves developing our youth.

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 132 - 13/12/2020 00:09:47    2321743

Link

Replying To Moorehead:  "Meath a different class, next year it will be Dublin. We are miles behind in every way that involves developing our youth."
Only because we don't "develop" them and pleas to do so fall on deaf ears. Tick boxes until they reach minor and then expect miracles .

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 13/12/2020 11:21:18    2321819

Link

No management team in place for next year, meaning no proper preparation again. Hopefully management will not be based around a couple of clubs but have a better geographical spread ensuring the best players are in the match day squad.

bagoballs (Westmeath) - Posts: 29 - 14/12/2020 16:34:37    2322346

Link

Replying To bagoballs:  "No management team in place for next year, meaning no proper preparation again. Hopefully management will not be based around a couple of clubs but have a better geographical spread ensuring the best players are in the match day squad."
You would imagine the best players are in the match day squad and also attending training. My nephew that plays in Div.1 was curious and able to name two or three players at this age that have played in and won finals all the way up in DIV.1 and were not in the 24,he assumed they be certainties for a 24 man squad. When he named then i found it odd myself. Perhaps they didn't go in which again has to be questioned.

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 14/12/2020 17:36:52    2322368

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "You would imagine the best players are in the match day squad and also attending training. My nephew that plays in Div.1 was curious and able to name two or three players at this age that have played in and won finals all the way up in DIV.1 and were not in the 24,he assumed they be certainties for a 24 man squad. When he named then i found it odd myself. Perhaps they didn't go in which again has to be questioned."
They mustn't be interested in all the gear

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1809 - 14/12/2020 18:42:12    2322395

Link

Name the players good enough? Otherwise stop posting nonsense.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 188 - 14/12/2020 19:50:55    2322419

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "You would imagine the best players are in the match day squad and also attending training. My nephew that plays in Div.1 was curious and able to name two or three players at this age that have played in and won finals all the way up in DIV.1 and were not in the 24,he assumed they be certainties for a 24 man squad. When he named then i found it odd myself. Perhaps they didn't go in which again has to be questioned."
Who ? Sami Clarke among those I presume ? He was injured if he is one of those ..

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 14/12/2020 20:03:14    2322427

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Name the players good enough? Otherwise stop posting nonsense."
You replied to a post that if a young lad chooses a different sport because of gear then they are welcome to him . You obviously don't coach kids or you wouldn't say that . Its not always about confrontation ,i assume that's what you want names for

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 14/12/2020 21:26:08    2322457

Link

Not a bit but if you can't put up names then your previous post is irrelevant. I stand by the gear comment. Players in it for the gear are worth nothing when the chips are down. Anyone involved with a team knows that.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 188 - 14/12/2020 23:10:10    2322496

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Not a bit but if you can't put up names then your previous post is irrelevant. I stand by the gear comment. Players in it for the gear are worth nothing when the chips are down. Anyone involved with a team knows that."
How do you classify a player that's only there for the gear , does he tell everyone that
Who decides , your club are lucky that they have the numbers that you can so easily dismiss kids
My point was for example I was at a game where my nephews team lost the semi of this year's championship to Moate
The best midfielder on view that day and in the final , as the commentators also mentioned him was not in the 24 last Sat , neither was the Moate full forward who was equally good on both occasions
St Lomans have played in 5 Div 1 finals in 5 years winning 4 trophies, I have seen them play , especially in that brilliant under 16 final last year, have they really only 1 lad good enough for a panel of 24 .
Seems odd but again my initial comment was maybe these guys didn't go in, if you attended minor games in Div 1 this year they were definitely good enough.

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 15/12/2020 13:39:49    2322612

Link

Who mentioned dismissing kids? Reread posts and point out where that was said. You still can't name any player who you consider to be good enough?

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 188 - 15/12/2020 14:05:03    2322625

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Who mentioned dismissing kids? Reread posts and point out where that was said. You still can't name any player who you consider to be good enough?"
I'm worse because I knew from the start you didn't know , anyone on this that attended an under 16 or minor Div 1 game in the last two years knows another few that don't seem to be considered, the comment about the county final is obvious, but you still don't know , no point commenting on posts and arguing with people waiting for them to give you the detail .

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 15/12/2020 14:27:52    2322635

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "How do you classify a player that's only there for the gear , does he tell everyone that
Who decides , your club are lucky that they have the numbers that you can so easily dismiss kids
My point was for example I was at a game where my nephews team lost the semi of this year's championship to Moate
The best midfielder on view that day and in the final , as the commentators also mentioned him was not in the 24 last Sat , neither was the Moate full forward who was equally good on both occasions
St Lomans have played in 5 Div 1 finals in 5 years winning 4 trophies, I have seen them play , especially in that brilliant under 16 final last year, have they really only 1 lad good enough for a panel of 24 .
Seems odd but again my initial comment was maybe these guys didn't go in, if you attended minor games in Div 1 this year they were definitely good enough."
Lomans had 2 according to the panel named. Unless they changed the subs on the day?
This has always been the case at minor level - and it's not just in Westmeath. If you look at minor teams from the past, say 10-15 years ago, and compare some of the lads who were playing with some who weren't - you'd have a good chuckle. But I guess that's easy to do now as we've seen how they turned out.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 278 - 15/12/2020 14:54:32    2322644

Link